Car question (where u at Ace Convoy?)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by seeker311, Jan 24, 2012.

1. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    so i have a 2008 jeep patriot with 99k miles on it already. Ive had the back brakes done twice as of this last weekend but the front brakes are still what the car came with. The shop keeps telling me that they are fine and that it has to do with how i drive that they dont wear out as quick as the back ones. The front are disc brakes, whereas the back are drum brakes. So does this sound normal?

2. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    No, it doesn't sound normal. Front brakes wear out quicker than rears on pretty much all cars, as the fronts do most of the work slowing the car. Drums do wear out slower than discs, but I'm sceptical that they're still the original ones after 99k miles, have you had the car since new?

You could take it to another garage, get a second opinion, a lot of garages will do a cursory check for no charge, especially at this time of year, lots of garages here are offering free winter checks of tyres, brakes etc.

Have a look at the discs yourself, see if they're scored at all i.e. marked like a record is. This usually happens when the pads have worn right down though.

How does the car drive, any differently to how it's always done? Does it pull to either side when you brake? (This could be down to other things though, mine does a little as I need to replace a trackrod end). Have a look at the manual/manufacturers website or call Jeep dealers, see what the expected life out of a set of discs are.

I can't think of a reason why your garage would tell you that though if it's not true, usually you hear stories of unnecessary work being done, rather than work being put off!

3. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That doesn't sound right.

I think it would be in your interest to go and ask for a second or third opinion.

Also, think about taking the jeep into the dealership "just to look at it and ask for their professional opinion" that's all and think about it for a day.

4. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

Hit up Jeep Forums and search for info on your year and model. Then after looking thru, go ahead and ask any questions you have that you couldn't find. Then you can figure out if you want to change anything.

5. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's not normal...

But my guess would be a pressure issue in the brake line, but you should get a more trusty and official person to look at it.

6. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Ive had the car since new, been expecting to get them done since around 50K miles. Its firestone that has been checking them and i ask them about every 6-9k miles to check them and they keep saying the same thing: front brakes are good. Yet the back brakes have been replaced twice. It had pulled and squeeled this last time, and thats when i had the back replaced this last weekend and now its stopping fine.

7. TWINTURBO

TWINTURBO Mandiprime97's badass :)

Ok IMO ( I am an AUDI Guy but was a car tech in the 90's) the rear brakes are adjusted to tight and they are doing the majority of the work stopping your jeep. Most of the time with a drum/disk set up you should go thru two front sets of pads to one set of drum shoes/pads.
    Also most cars/trucks stopping power is 60% front and 40% rear.

8. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Contemptuous

Your rear brakes are probably dragging. It's not uncommon for the rear drums to be misadjusted even from the factory. You'll probably notice better gas mileage if indeed this turns out to be the issue. Have a shop make sure your emergency brake cable is adjusted correctly as well.