Car Help!!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ace Convoy, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A few days a ago my Dad left training and made it safely to Kuwait leaving me as the caretaker of my moms 98 Explorer sport so I've just been doing the usual fluid checks and noticed a few things.

1. yesterday the Suv was making some rough grinding noises and was Vibrating weird. I found out the Transmission fluid was completely gone so I put in some more and a few hours ago checked it again and it was Half gone...possible leak perhaps?

2. now that it's spring is it ok to fill up the engine coolant past the Cold fill indicator ?

btw.....what happens if you put in more Transmission fluid than needed?

I also found some wires hangin out from the front bumper and what do you know, the Previous owner had Fog lights hooked up to the thing who knew.

any suggestions will be helpful

2. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    Ok, the 'cold fill' line is where the antifreeze should be when the engine is cold, not running. "Hot fill" is where it should be when hot, and running.

Did you check the transmission fluid when the engine is running? Pretty sure that's when it should be checked. Adding too much is bad.

Hope this helps!

Matt

3. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    I used to be a mechanic, so I'll do my best to answer the questions (based on the info provided).

1. Rough grinding noises can come from anywhere, it's not necessarily related to the transmission. However, if that was the cause then you did right by adding fluid. The question is whether you added the correct weight/type of fluid - assuming it was, indeed, out of it. If it's leaking then you'd need to look for a pink, red, or purple fluid (light purple, not dark like power steering fluid) on the ground. I think you'd notice it if the transmission emptied half of the fluid. Either you didn't fill it all the way or you didn't check it correctly (see Tfgraveyard's post - you want to check it while the vehicle is running).

You definately do not want to overfill the transmission. You could not only damage the gears inside but the seal between the engine and the flywheel. It's not good if that happens.

2. The cold fill line is not referring to the weather but the level to fill up the fluid while the engine is cool (you don't fill up coolant while the engine is hot). The liquid will expand with the heat of the engine, which is why there is extra space in the overflow tank. You don't fill past the cold fill line for any reason or season.

3. Wires could be from anything but provided the headlights and blinkers work in the front, I'd attribute them to the fog lights that were previously on the vehicle.

In all of these cases, you sound unsure. My advice would really be to take it to a mechanic, if possible, to let them check it out.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  4. Ace Convoy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks guys ^^

Oh yeah special thanks for the Coolant advice cause I was 3 hours away from having a scalding blue coolant shower.

Another question

is it possible for a novice to take out a water pump from a Ford 3.0 ltr V6 and put it in another similar vehicle or do I have to shell out some cash and have a pro do it ?

5. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    If things like the proper level on the coolant are mysterious to you, the last thing you should do is go ripping out water pumps.

6. MikeTSI

MikeTSI The Reclaimer TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:

I watched my dad get sprayed by hot coolant when I was a kid. The car was overheating and when he opened the hood, the cap blew off and covered his chest and one arm with scalding antifreeze. The aftermath was not pretty!

Also, I wouldn't tackle a water pump unless you know what your doing. And I also wouldn't use a used one. It's a cheap enough part that you should go new. You don't know how much life the used one has left in it.

7. DeathStorm

News Credits:
    Honestly, there is no way you should be thinking of doing anything if you don't know engines. There is not really a "novice" category for mechanics. You either know it or you don't. And if you don't, you avoid doing it until you get properly trained.

Take it to a mechanic. To replace a water pump you're talking about flushing the cooling systems of both vehicles, which can be a dangerous thing to do. It can permanently damage a water pump, radiator, or coolant lines to try and flush a system without the proper equipment. Not to mention that, for some vehicles, you have to run the engine without coolant - which poses a risk of overheating and damaging seals, piston rings, piston chambers, carbs, and the engine block.

8. Ace Convoy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    well nobody else in my house isn't going to find out how to do it...it doesn't make sense for my mom to shell out 15-30 bucks for a pro to do fluid changes when I could learn and do it myself for free ^^

9. DeathStorm

News Credits:
    See what I bolded there? Vehicles that you plan on driving are not learning experiences. If you want to practice then go to a junk yard and work on a scrap vehicle.

10. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    On second thought, water pumps aren't that bad. Go outside with a socket set and rip into it. :thumbs2: 

11. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    No joke. Learning by doing. I approve. Go for it!

12. Ace Convoy

News Credits:
    Ebay:

I hear what you're saying

but the water pump situation is for a Junker that's in my garage that's not my moms Suv.

but some relatives have another one that's in better condition (Actual running condition :p ) They said I could have if I put a new water pump in it so I was just wondering if I could use the old pump

but like you said I don't know how much wear is on the pump and will instead just get a new one.

13. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    This could turn out to be epic. By all means, keep us posted.

14. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:

Obviously the car has had problems for a while without getting maintenance

1. You have a leak and possibly Transmission problems.

2.NO

3.Do not fill past the line or there will be problems

4.Just tape them underneath or cut them off(depending on where they were spliced into);NO MORE HANGING WIRES/Futurama

15. DeathStorm

News Credits:
    You have that and the fact that water pumps are not universal. You don't even know if the one you remove will fit the engine you want to put it in.

If you do put a new one in then refer to my previous post about flushing the cooling system. You don't want to do that if you aren't familiar with it.

16. Ace Convoy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    actually it's the same car and engine...

but I'll prolly just send it to a mechanic

17. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    No, no. Do it yourself. Take pics.

18. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    I endorse this post.

19. BigBadBoombox

BigBadBoombox Boombox Cakes superior!

If i may put my .02 in, as i've dealt with a 98 explorer sport for a mechanically not so inclined friend of mine.

1. yesterday the Suv was making some rough grinding noises and was Vibrating weird. I found out the Transmission fluid was completely gone so I put in some more and a few hours ago checked it again and it was Half gone...possible leak perhaps?

Did you check while the motor is running after you've driven a bit? Transmissions are giant liquid pumps and don't measure accurately unless the fluid is moving. You didn't specify if on the stick you had a measurement that hit the line. The explorer 4wd transmission holds ALOT of fluid. We're talking going out and buying a few gallon containers. It may not register on the dipstick as only the last few quarts that top off the required amount show. If the truck is 4wd it could also be from your differentials. the 4wd explorer has 3 of them. 1 front, 1 center, 1 rear. fluid in those could have gone bad ( unlikely but i've seen it in my day). The Vibration could be coming from a bad motor/transmission mount.

2. now that it's spring is it ok to fill up the engine coolant past the Cold fill indicator ?

If you're talking about in the reservoir, yes. if you put to much in the pressure of the cooling system will blow it out the overflow while you're driving...trust me you'll smell if you overfilled it.

btw.....what happens if you put in more Transmission fluid than needed?
    Whining, longer than normal shifts and when you check the fluid it get's really frothy.

I also found some wires hanging out from the front bumper and what do you know, the Previous owner had Fog lights hooked up to the thing who knew.

Like said before, tape or cap them off then zip tie them to the front bumper bracket.

Hope it helps.

B4

20. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    You never learn something unless you do it. If you are going to remove the water pump, get a new belt too. Replace them at the same time, that way a couple months down the road you don't have to change the belt.

As far as the transmission fluid is concerned, sometimes the fluid is only supposed to touch the very tip of the dipstick. This is because of how long the dipstick is.

And as far as a grinding sound, make sure it's not the bearings in the front axles. I had the bearing casing come apart once on my S-10. It made a terrible grinding sound. Had to remove the brakes and calipers to see for sure though. And if you are going to do that, make sure you rotate the tires too, this will extend the tire wear of the SUV. You should probably do this everytime you change to the oil.