Car Advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Deceptikitty, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

OKAY.

So I have a '73 yellow VW Beetle. I love him very much, and he's been a great car for the three years I have had him. My dad and I have been looking around, since I've always wanted an older muscle car. Someone is interested in buying my car (found out today), and we found an ad for another car for the same price mine is listed. It's a '77 Camaro. Now, my mom, being the logical one in the family, thinks it's a stupid idea to swap one old car for another. Mine has been dependable, although I was told that replacing the engine would be a future thing (he said it as if it was any day now, but that was months ago).

My question to YOU guys is... does this seem stupid? I mean, I would like a change, and I love older cars. I'm not ready for something newer. Besides, older cars are fun to drive. :D 

This all, of course, depends if this guy still has the Camaro.

2. Turbocharger

Turbocharger We should get more letter

It's hilarious you didn't mention the obvious correlation between the two vehicles.

3. Deceptikitty

I know! Seriously. I do have an Autobot decal on the back, though. :D 

4. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Hey, trade or sell for the Camaro and your insurance will go up for "owning" a sports car. I'd say fix up the VW bug, and since you like old cars and working on them, replace the engine with maybe a crate Chevy Vortec or even Ecotec motor or another economical engine that will last you a LONG time.

If you want an insultingly fast car, just research your options for the Bug and how much you'd want to invest into it. They are great little cars and depending on your area they can be harder to find. There is an automotive place in my area that specializes in almost everything VW including sand rails and dune buggies.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  5. Deceptikitty

Yeah, insurance is another thing that kind of makes the Camaro the most pricey choice. Fixing up my bug is a good idea. It needs some interior work. I don't know how gas money is, but for my current car it's pretty sweet.

The other part of me is saying, "b..but a muscle car!"

6. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Three words...

Small block V8.

Do a search for "V8 VW Beetle" or similar. You can get them to go real quick.

7. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If your looking for a fast dependable car, my advice is to check out a local state auction. They sell older police vehicles and state cars, as well as confinscated vehicles as well, usually for very cheap. I currently own an LT1 Caprice Highway patrol special and have gotten it up to 140. Just don't buy a Crown Victoria, crappy car :D 
    +low insurance due to airbag and crash test standings
    +low registration due to age
    +Corvette engine in a 4 door

8. cannabisprime

cannabisprime Well-Known Member

Keep the Beetle; if you have deep pockets, you might be able to swap a Porsche 914 engine in that Beetle.

9. Deceptikitty

LOL My brother has a Crown Vic. My car is so much cooler than his... even though I think it's faster. :( 

Hm.. you know, replacing the engine would be a good idea. With a way better one, of course. Parting with my car would be really sad if I even decided to sell it. I'm too attached!

How much are nice engines, anyway? I don't know much about cars - my dad's the expert. I'm kind of learning. :X

10. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    You forgot the best point. It's what the Blues Brothers would do.

11. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    Get rid if the bug. I used to own a '75 trans am and loved it. freaking sweet car. And insurance on a 30 year old Camaro will not be a lot. Honestly though if it's a daily driver you might want to think about getting something newer.

12. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Or a spare for when your main car is broke down.

13. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

Keep the Beetle. As it was already mentioned, it is harder to find a old Beetle that is not already turned into crap. Replace the engine when your ready to, but before you do make sure you hit up a VW/VW Bug forum. You can put in some engines in there that will just spank your Muscle Cars. Old Bugs and Ghia's are beign used on the Drags alot right now.