Caption Contest

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Heartagram28, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Heartagram28

Heartagram28 Soundwave owns!

2. soundwave47

soundwave47 Remember Me?

you should see mine its under soundwave47's mashups

3. Heartagram28

"I need to go pee!!"

I nearly pi$$ed myself after reading that, good stuff

4. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
  5. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I see a lot of common themes for captions:

Unicron pic: Scatological references.

Devastator & Sludge: Massage and chiropractor jokes.

Constructicon band: commentary on how few of them actually have mouths

Thrust in the grill: mirrors, cages, or life lessons on looking both ways before crossing the street.

Prime on the table: references to autopsys, CSI, or the Operation board game.

Please don't view this as a complaint or a snark. I know from experience that it's far from simple to write something no one else has thought of (or will think of - just because you or I might have been the first of four people to do the same joke, it don't make it look any more original.)

Wouldn't be surprised to see a few entires changed around shortly before the deadline for the sake of standing out better. I don't know If I'll do the same, but I'll definitely be considering it.

6. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Yeah, I already noticed a couple microwave jokes after I did mine. I'll still probably keep it though. Besides, the car wax one is my main entry anyway. If anything, it's got the most original presentation so far. heh.

7. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    I think part of the reason for the similiarity in material is that the screen shots we were given to choose from naturally lend themselves to certain jokes. For example, when the Op-on-deathbed pic was used, there were several jokes about Hot Rod getting him killed and who would get the rest of his stuff after he was gone.

Also, Unicron stepping in something unpleasant or losing a contact is almost a given with that particular screen shot.

I think I have a unique idea, but I haven't posted it with my others yet, since I'm not sure if I want to remove what I already posted. Oh, well, I still have a few days to decide.

8. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    True, some jokes and captions present themselves more easily and fit better. The downside of course is if a joke is obvious to you, it's probably obvious to a few other people as well. Then you get to work your ass off trying to come up with something no one else is likely to think up, and wind up with something wierd and out there, and probably not that funny. :) 

9. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    The joke itself doesn't have to be all that original. The way you do it also helps. Both of mine so far are at least unique in some way. I made the first one up to look like an ad. My microwave one is even a little original when you really look at it. Most people would have just made a word balloon. I on the otherhand made it look like the ones used in the IDW comics. I know hardly anyone would have noticed it had I not mentioned it, but I've always been a fan of those types of obscure, geeky, reference gags. I find them amusing for some reason.

10. Heartagram28

11. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Thanks! ^_^

12. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Gryph I like your Optimus/Thrust one.

As I went through all the entries to make sure no one had my lame joke already, I noticed an ass load of entries with the same jokes (i.e. Unicron saying "eww") and it made me sad. I'm still crying about it as we speak.

13. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Two of the best ones are both for the Devastator pic. One has a G1 Sludge instruction sheet photoshopped in and says "Devastator is easily frustrated". The other says "Sludge fell asleep too close to the amusement park. Devastator: I wanna ride da horsey!"

Then of course there are mine. http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=114032

14. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Added my third entry. :D