Caprica????

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by kenm2474, Jan 20, 2010.

1. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

Is this Caprica Series starting Friday a new Series or the one that was on earlier in 2009?

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I refuse to answer until there are more ?'s in the thread title.

3. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The episode that was on earlier in 2009 was the pilot.
    The one that is on on Friday is the continuation of the story set up in the pilot.

4. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Awesome then, can't wait for it. Loved the pilot, very interested to see where this goes.

5. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Now there have been 3 episodes, is anybody watching this series? Do you like the storyline so far, what about the CG? Do you get the feeling its a teen show, or more adult like Battlestar:Galatica?? Or a balanced combination of the two? Do you like the human/Cylon connection? or you're not buying it?? Just wondered..doesn't seem to be many posts with an opinion good, bad or ugly..

For me, I like the start of the series, and I believe like SG:Universe, it will take a few episodes to get a following, but that it has potential.

6. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Cylon looks totally CGI to me (AKA Obvious it was fake). Why is Hollywood so obsessed with using CGI when a physical prop would be good for some shots? For those shots of it just standing there & slightly moving its head, build a physical prop! Fine, use CGI for it walking around.

I do wonder if anyone will ever find out that Zoey really wan't a terrorist. I did think it was odd that she kept it a secret that she is in there from others.

7. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I just can't get into the show. It seems so far connected to BSG that it should almost be a entirely different concept.

8. Macross7

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Another thing I thought of. It annoyed me some on BSG but will really stand out in this show (it seems). Too much modern day Earth items!! Look at some of those scenes. They just went out and filmed on a normal street (complete with regular cars/vans). Sci-Fi this crap up a little!!!

The old BSG was MUCH better in this reguard. Their clothes didn't look like modern Earth clothes, their vehicles were spacey, they even had different terms for things like time. (Micron, centon, etc.) Even some animals in the show were sci-fied up. I remember a horse being in an episode but the producers added a lion roar to it instead of a horse whinny. Made it seem more like it was on another planet.

9. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

I think you fail to realize how cheap digital effects are vs. practical effects. Like building a model is a wholely needless expense cheap.

10. Macross7

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    While building a prop might be expensive, they can use it over and over. That has to be cheaper than rendering the CGI robot for all those scenes. In the last ep there were easily over a dozen shots that a prop could have been used since it was just standing there and only the head slightly moved.

11. lars573

You can reuse digital effects too. The Cylon model they used (but I've only seen the pilot so far) was the nearly the same digital model used in Razor. Just with the outer casing stripped off. And once the digital model is built they can reuse it over and over again. Really any argument you can think of for building a physical prop, are pretty much applicable to the digital effect. Save one, actually having something for the actors to act to. But it means the producers don't have to pay two teams for making Cylons happen.

12. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure they have a full size physical model for the Cylon in Caprica. Has it been officially stated elsewhere?

13. lars573

Not one for use on screen I don't think. There might be a plaster mock up for scaling vs. people.

14. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is anyone still watching this? I've given up because I feel it's going nowhere. Aside from the pilot there's been very little in terms of plot progression, the pacing is terrible and I find myself not empathising with any of the characters, most of whom simply aren't likable (esp. Joseph Adama). It's just... utterly boring, especially the 'virtual world' scenes of the most recent episode shown in the UK (lots of walking, yay). I'm not sure a loosely sci-fi soap is working.

Also, what's up with all the obviously 'earth' cars?

15. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I'm trying it. It's getting a little better each episode but I am utterly bored with the stuff with the wife and the nun (or whatever she's supposed to be). There's only so many scenes of weepy-eyed girly heart to heart drunkenness and confessions I can sit through.

16. lars573

I'm still watching when I can. The next ep coming for us has some plot progression. Daniel Graystone figures out Zoe's avatar is in the Cylon unit (it's in the ep's preview, so don't moan about spoilers). And Joe gets closer to finding Tammy's avatar.

The Colonial tech is VERY similar to ours. Just a few decades a head. They used a straight up hummer H1 (Starbucks ride) in a few episodes that took place on Caprica in BSG. They also have a Fallout vibe in some designs.