Canon Issues?

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by Scrapmaker, Jan 10, 2012.

1. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    HASBRO says that all the titles are more than a simple continuity family- that they are DIRECT continuity... and that inconsistancies only show when you do a "squint test".

HASBRO says it, so some people believe it.
    I say they're full of crap and this so-called "aligned" continuity exists for marketing purposes only- and it only matters for the hardcore fandome, really. This isn't something that really matters to the average Joe.

When it comes to this cluster-F, it's best to simply let it go. If you are one to allow people to think for you, then be my guest and enjoy it.
    If you are a person who can think for themselves, simply smile, nod your head, move on and roll your eyes if you will.

2. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Hadar Sen Olmen

Great idea.
    I'll do that.

3. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    It does little good to argue about it. Over the internet.

4. Scrapmaker

Perhaps I could let those two I posted this about know that....one of them, actually, since the second guy did drop the subject.

5. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    I know I came off a bit rude in my stance, but this is such a non-issue that has involved me in so many flame wars.

6. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

Idiot didn't even bother to read the book and he's criticizing it. That just makes SO much sense...

7. StarryAqua

StarryAqua Former fandom follower

News Credits:
    I believe in the existance of Continuity, but not Continuity Family bullcrap. Either have each media be its own separate universe, or have it all exist in the same universe; not separate storylines that have nothing to do with each other, yet somehow exist within the same family.

If all of this made sense, than I can understand why I have 3 moms that all gave birth to me.

8. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

"Continuity family" makes perfect sense for G1, Armada, and Energon, where you've got multiple continuities based on the same toys and story concepts. Prime, WFC, etc. don't have nearly as much in common. The only way a connection makes sense to me is "broad strokes" continuity.

9. StarryAqua

StarryAqua Former fandom follower

News Credits:
    That's what I see as bullcrap; having multiple continuities based on the same subject but branch off slightly in different directions. Why not just have the original subject be the main focus of the continuity?

I can understand how an overall main story might be told differently by other sources, but in the end, they're still all trying to tell the same story.

The agenda I see in this is very similar to the Crisis of the DC universe. In the end, the stories of all the DC characters were to be re-branded and re-told. However, they would still follow the same overall storyline, just with slight changes. What's the point if it all leads to a similar outcome?

10. Fez Findie

Fez Findie Well-Known Member

Oh no, they didn't actually try and take the Japanese approach of "All one continuity! Somehow!" :dunce 

Seriously, it tends to cause the least bit of brain leakage when you think things with common sense, especially since 'official' sources are prone to retcons here and then yet claiming that was their plan all along. No, they would never fudge up what they are doing at aaaaaall into an incomprehensible mess with contradicting stuff or just ideas that make no sense anywhere *Cough*DC*cough*

One of the reasons why I love how Battletech Universe's canon from games and novels go; besides the core story at most, nothing is admitted nor denied as long as it doesn't contradict with something that's more canon.

11. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    My theory was that this "aligned continuity" stuff was merely an afterthought on Has's part while the main projects- independant of each other- were well underway. After "re-purposing" one of them into another they commissioned the novel to tie everything together (which didn't seem to work that well.)

Sloppy, ineffective and unprofessional IMHO.

12. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    as for me, i don't really care. TF's is a hobby for me, as in - a way to enjoy spending some time on something i like. So I don't get involved in arguments over what's right, what's wrong, and if something doesn't make sense - oh well. It's not that important to me.

For instance, I LOVE watching Carnage in C-Minor. So many stupid little things in that episode, but i don't care. I'm a musician, so it appealed to me there. Soundwave and Galvatron flying and holding hands, like SUperman and Lois Lane? Sure. Soundwave getting off on harmonies? sounds good.

So yeah, I don't really care.

13. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Well it's a little late to worry about multiple continuities in previous generations, seeing as G1 had at least two distinct, contradictory timelines from the very beginning. Since they're both valid G1 continuities, that's why we have a G1 "continuity family." And since we already have one, I don't see the harm in groups like IDW adding yet another timeline to the family.

As for the second paragraph, I think that's what's going on with Aligned.

14. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:
    I have seen religious beliefs that are harder to fit into continuity with each other yet people find a way, why is Prime/Wfc/Foc such a labor to imagine being one?

15. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    Because of stubbornness to find a perfect match, which makes sense, but that's the reason.

Nerds, who REALLY put stock into it, want canon to fit 100% infallibly, again, makes sense, but there can be a considerable amount of variables to be thrown into the equation.

16. Scrapmaker

Well, I wouldn't expect the guy in the guy in the quote to know anything about what's canon in Transformers.
    Because he doesn't care.

On a related note, the whole argument started over whether or not the Fallen stood in a Black Hole. Somewhat pathetic.....