CanMag Interviews Transformers Movie VE Supervisor Scott Farrar

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by REDLINE, Jun 21, 2007.

1. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    website CanMag.com has posted a new interview with the Visual Effects Supervisor for the upcoming Transformers Movie, ILM's Scott Farrar. Its really a good read.

To read the full interview, click the link:

CanMag Interview with Scott Farrar

2. Psychrome86

Psychrome86 Well-Known Member

51 pieces versus 10,108... i'd sure love to build a scale model of that. :) 

3. protostar8

protostar8 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    10,108 pieces...I wonder if thats mostly internal stuff like little gears and stuff or if that number is so large b/c there are so many car fragments that disappear?

4. nuopus

nuopus Well-Known Member

I think its the complex transformation that you see including all of the moving parts in his head. In one of the trailers, you see his head transforming also.

5. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

I think my favorite part of that whole interview is actually the part that is going to make all the differance is him saying that Mike Bay shoots alot of real shots for the TFs(models). The reason being is I am all for this movie looking photorealistic and from what it sounds is mike bay gave ILM a hell of alot of source material to base there composites on and the renders to boot.

He said it best when he was shocked a realisitic robot movie hasnt been done cause flat non organic surfaces are the easiest to render to get the photo real look.

It sounds like he really strives for photorealism instead of the over the top eccentriccly cool look ilm has done alot of in the past.

does anyone know how long he has been with ilm in that positon cause i think they couild have used him in the previous star wars movies.

6. World Prime

World Prime Za Warudo!

Ebay:
    I just can't wait for this . . . 10,108 reasons to see the movie!

7. bman

bman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Personally, I think it's a waste of resources.

What's the point of having 10,000 parts you'll never see or notice anyway ?

8. Galvatron397

Galvatron397 Official TFW Omni-Geek

Master Shake: "What? Class? Style? I don't think so! Thank god I got a hip transplant... Now why don't you go back into your house, and shut up!" :D 

9. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    to blow your mind. that, and gives you new things to pick up on each subsequent watch. there's a ton of things in the star wars films that it takes several viewings to find all the hidden stuff, this is just like that

10. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

Have you never built a model aeroplane and paid special attention to all that fiddly internal detail that nobody would ever see? It's a matter of achievement, even if you're the only person who ever knows it's there!

11. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Clearly you're not an artist. If you were, you wouldn't have to ask that question.

12. turk128

turk128 Well-Known Member

Arghhh, Draven beat me to it.

Basically, why do anything worthwhile when you're gonna do it halfarse?

13. bman

bman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it's more towards being a purist/perfectionist, not really having to do with being an artist or not.

Aren't artists afraid of dragging down project schedules and deadlines spending time on stuff where the light never shines ?

So I take it that when artists are tasked to do character animation, they'd model the skeleton inside, the internal organs, etc?

14. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Split that hair any finer, and you'd be left with a string of atoms.
    Artists ARE perfectionists; if I had millions of people waiting to see what I came up with, I'd do the best I could too. I know that if I did a job I didn't put everything into I personally would NOT be happy with it. I highly doubt the ILM guys are ANY different to me, or any other artist, in that respect. The fact that they HAVE achieved such effects, and done it on time, is a hell of a testament to their skills.

15. turk128

turk128 Well-Known Member

To put it in further perspective; many of the same ILM artist didn't initially agree with Bay's direction at all. To work past that then come to an understanding and then create art out of it just goes to show how professional they are.

Yes, I'm gonna continue to rub it into all the detractors who dumped on the ILM artists just because they didn't like the designs.

16. Autobot HipHop

Autobot HipHop Covert Operations

That is what makes Star Wars so great. The sheer amount of information, research, and artistic style that was implemented into the design of say the Millenium Falcon or the X-wing fighter is what makes those pieces timeless and classic. Not a half-ass rushed effort where the designer cut corners and still got the Lucas approval stamp just because it was turned in on the due date. It takes countless revisions and research to come up with a concept that stands the test of time.

I'm sure that is what the folks at ILM were doing with TF as well, not making 10, 000 parts and wasting time, but creating Art with lots of depth and realism.