Candidates for new faction leaders?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Nightrain, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I'm thinking about remixing my collection around the idea that Optimus, Megatron, and the various HOFers and Masterpieces(which I see as Takara's HOF of sorts) should step aside and be displayed in their own group. This would "force" me to pay more attention to new characters and toys that I keep buying but tend to ignore.

So this brought up an idea to pick new leaders. I'd like any names you guys have off the top of your heads as long as they are voyager class or larger and not in HOF or made into Masterpiece. They can be from any line except Animated for stylistic reasons.

2. Astronopolis

Astronopolis Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    voyager blades would be a cool leader i think. his violent personality would be a cool contrast to primes fatherly composure.

3. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Voyager class? Well that removes many of the natural leaders like Prowl, Jazz, Thunderwing, and Straxus. Classics/Universe/Generations is a Deluxe line, with a few exceptions.

I guess there's Energon Scorponok, Energon Shockblast, Classics Ultra Magnus (especially with City Commander upgrade), Classics Jetfire, Universe Silverbolt, and Universe Onslaught. Universe Inferno/Grapple fits your size criteria but have never been played as high in the pecking order. Universe Springer fits as well, I guess, Rodimus tried to hand the Matrix to him a couple times.

There is also RtS Lugnut. In Animated, his character was a natural leader as long as Megatron wasn't around for him to fawn over. Or, Cyclonus is a very tall and imposing Deluxe who also has leadership experience.

As far as the Movieverse is concerned, you could go with Voyager Shockwave and Voyager Skyhammer?

4. Heat Blast

Heat Blast Laserbeak's Stunt Double

Hardhead

5. Goldlock

Goldlock and don't call me Shirley

News Credits:
    RID Scourge for the 'Cons, just because it's Scourge!

Cybertron Wingsabre for the Autobots, as he seems like a competent (disobedient) leader (loner) :lol . BM/ Universe 1.0 Cheetor (only ones voyager size or bigger) would make a good leader too!

6. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Onslaught is about it for the 'Cons, Lugnut might work but someone like Starscream would probably be manipulating him every inch of the way. I know Bludgeon led for a bit in the Marvel series, but I don't think he would be tolerated. For the Autobots, Silverbolt does have experience leading a squad, but I think Jetfire could be better at leading the overall forces.

+-MWG-+

7. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Do alternators count? Because they're ALL voyager sized, so by your system you could still have Prowl or Jazz be the stand-in leader. With the Decepticons it's not that big a problem since Shockwave would be the best choice because Megatron explicitly made him leader of Cybertron in the original cartoon (he did a craptastic job of it because he did nothing while waiting for megatron, but he was still the leader). Or of you can find one; an Energon Galvatron would work even better because he WAS the full-time leader of the Decepticons and I know many people still use the Energon toy as the Classics stand-in since it's such an explicit homage.

8. Kup-is-Dion

Kup-is-Dion Lord Cthulhu

Silverbolt and Onslaught make good leaders. If you have the Protector armor, Rodimus Prime is a natural choice. Unicron could be considered a faction onto himself. Blaster, Leo Prime.... Straxus is a deluxe, but he IS an actual Decepticon leader in a faction sorely lacking in them.

9. AutobotMirage

AutobotMirage Wrecker

News Credits:
    Cybertron: Leo Breaker, Metroplex, Vector Prime, Scourge, Jetfire
    RID: Ultra Magnus
    Classics: Ultra Magnus, Silverbolt, Inferno, Hardhead, Onslaught, Nemesis Prime
    Movieverse: Skyhammer, Shockwave, Stratosphere, Sea Spray, Highbrow, Bludgeon

10. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:
    Here's a few I thought of,Beast Wars TM Depthcharge,Beast Wars TM Rampage,Cybertron Scourge (or Cryo),and as someone already said RID Scourge.

11. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Of the ones mentioned that I actually have, Skyhammer and Bludgeon or Onslaught are the best choices so far.

The ones I don't have that I like are Silverbolt, Wing Saber, Ultra Magnus, Springer, and Metroplex. There seem to be many more real leaders in the Autobots than Decepticons.

I'm thinking I will amend the criteria to leave out HOF nominees since they will get in at some point anyway. That rules out Shockwave.

I...don't know. It would be nice to have a good sized Prowl leading the Autobots. And in my mind he's always deserved it the most. But that would be like having an oversized deluxe and I don't know that I could get past that.

12. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Argh, forgot about him, and about RiD Scourge. Have both, both great, would work.

Why not just have Prowl leading the Autobots? Stick him down in the front and middle. It's only the vagaries of toy selling that made the leaders large figures. In Transformers media that manages to escape from that stricture, size is irrelevant to leadership ability. Heck, even in the original comic you had Ratbat leading the Decepticons.

13. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Not surprising, since Decepticons tend to be all "kill maim destroy", the ones that aren't are the ones who are getting into the HoF

And Grimlock, and Jazz, and Erector. (Okay, so Erector wasn't ever leader, but he was an HoF candidate:tongue: )

Do you have an Alt. Prowl? If so, stick him in the collection and see how you feel. If in the end you just can't stick with it, you can just put him somewhere else and use a different figure. It's not like you're cementing him into position, right?

14. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    Arise, Erector Prime, we need you to battle Scalpel and his evil Decepticons!

15. Suchus Prime

Suchus Prime Well-Known Member

hmmm I would say for the autobots:
    Vector Prime voyager cybertron
    Jetfire Ultra cybertron
    Ultra Magnus Universe

And decepticons:
    Starscream Voyager Cybertron
    I don't really know too be honest

16. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    Energon Skorponok and Universe 2.0 Blades sounds like a cool match up to me

17. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    armada Tidalwave

18. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I get what you're saying, and I'll even support it by saying that I played around with Bugbite as Con leader for a while. But I think they can get away with that much easier than the more structured Autobots.

I dunno, even if I were to choose Prowl I'd be inclined to go with Car Robots. Or Checkpoint if I want to stretch it.

Nay. I think OCD would make it impossible anyway :lol 

19. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    shockwave vs jazz!

20. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    g1 victory saber and deathsaurus...lol