Cancelling Auctions on Ebay: When is it ok?

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by exomega255, Sep 20, 2010.

1. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I have had it happened a couple of times in the past, where I placed an initial bid on an item (either to watch, get rid of BIN, etc), and then wait to snipe. But then seller cancels the item in the middle; I usually speculate it as seller thinking that the item is not selling at the price he/she wants (then why didn't you put a reserve >.>)

So basically, sometimes I feel cheaped out of a good deal when this happens. What is your opinion on cancelling auctions?

2. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I hate it. I would never do it as a seller and it pisses me off when I'm a buyer. It usually only ever happens if:

a) the seller gets a good price from a buyer outside of eBay or someone who has contacted them privately

b) they get in a strop and throw their toys out of the pram because the sale price won't be as high as they'd like it to be.

If any UK users recognise the username 'Beatnikbeatle' this guy does it ALL the time.

3. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I did meet a forum member that cancelled their auction earlier than end time, after cancelling all the bids. I don't know why yet and am in the process of inquiring. But I certainly hope it was a valid excuse.

4. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Its pretty much OK every time the seller feels the need to pull the auction. They can do what ever they want when it comes to their auctions, does it suck for people bidding on the particular item-yes. Until ebay puts a stop to it, theres really nothing that we can do. I have done it a couple of times myself, and I love that feature.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  5. Starscream1073

Starscream1073 Seeker Commander

I agree. The seller reserves the right to cancel any bids and auctions. it's their auctions and if they don't feel they are going to get what they feel are reasonable final selling prices then they have the right to cancel. As for setting a reserve, the reserve fee that eBay charges is a ridiculous amount of money and that's why alot of sellers do not use it including myself. The buyers that usually complain about auctions being cancelled early are usually the ones who are trying to get something for nothing. Case in point, I recently listed an auction for the CC09 JLU exclusive Green Lantern Origins 3 pack. I paid $30.00 plus shipping for it but it was coming down to the final hours and I only had 2 bids w/the highest bid at $4.15 with only 3 watchers. Sorry but seeing I paid $40.00 for it shipped i'm not going to take a loss like that. I have every right to do that. It's my item, my auction. My opinion is, if you are looking to get something for nothing, go bid on someone else's auction because it is not happening with my auctions :inquisiti 

6. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

That's what reserve prices are for man. If it doesn't sell at that price, you get to keep it.

7. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    then don't put it up for a 99 cent start. I understand sellers are trying to cheat ebay of the listing cost. But if "its not happening" then don't give false notion about selling an item with no reserve and then when it doesn't meet what you want you cancel.

FYI though, I was aiming to snipe the item at about 80-90% of what it would cost at retail, and if I get it for less, its fine, if I get it for that price, its fine too. Sellers were always recommended to put the MINIMUM of what they would like the item for as a starting bid, and if you like to circumvent the fees, you should be ready for the chance of taking a loss. The worse is, sellers that do these often, have 100% feed.

edit:; just to prove my point: I was aiming for an item that would cost me 49$ shipped at BBTS approx. I was aiming to get this one for 30 + shipping (which was listed as 12$). I don't think that's call "wanting to get an item for nothing".

And btw, the auction I was looking for has been at least 4-5 days. So its not like "oh I made a mistake". Anyhow, I know there is nothing I can "do" per se. But I just thought about responsibility and opinions on this and didn't think it was a very "right" thing to do, imo.

8. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

Ask Ebay to reduce it's ridiculously high fess (which will never happen) then people will be able to put reserves on items. I'll try to put reserves on items and then Ebay wants to charge me $5 for it on top of the 13% or so they are already going to get. No thanks.

9. CyberShadow

CyberShadow Wheeljacks Lab

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    For some reason, this happens to me a lot as a buyer.. and it is irritating as hell. Especially when I am the highest bidder. There was a seller about a year or so ago who would basically treat eBay as a shop window, and wait for a high offer, then cancel the item and put it up as a BIN for a specific user.

I have sent several emails to eBay about this as it really does hack me off. As a buyer, I can only cancel my bids under very specific circumstances and then I have to give a written explanation. But, a seller is allowed to cancel at any time and for undisclosed reasons. There is even a box to tick when the seller cancels to state that the items are no longer for sale. WTF?

That said... Sniping irritates the hell out of me too. Maybe I am just getting old as eBay is bad for my blood pressure! :dunce 

10. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I disagree that Ebay should charge that much for a reserved price. But I also disagree that sellers uses various "get-arounds" that are pretty "low" and underhanded, and unfair to buyers in a way.

My 2 reasons to go to Ebay is usually

1. looking for a rare item that can't be found retail
    2. looking for a better deal on items that are on retail

and its just jerk-ish to throw up item out and see the bidding and then retract the item.

11. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    First off I do not ebay at all but these are my honest opinions, of a neutral observer if you will.

These reason to me would be acceptable to cancel.

1. major error in the listing, such as meaning to set a reserve but starting at 99 cents, or setting the Bin way below value when entering multiple listing one after the other.

2. getting a better offer off Ebay when no or only low ball bids are present.

3. if the auction is with in 1 hour of ending and the only bids are ridiculous low ball amounts such as $5 for $100 item. If the top bid is only $5 less then what you were hoping for to me that is not acceptable to cancel auction.

12. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Ok, let me use an actual example then:

If I recall correctly, on the 49$ retail shipped item, before it was cancelled, the bid amount was shown to be about 25$ + 12$ shipping. I don't think that's in the catagory of lowball (considering still at least a day to go).

13. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    I agree with you , the selkler should have given it more time.

14. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    well, apparently for update, seller did cancel this time with good and reasonable intentions. THough, the thread still stands as I have had multiple experience with auction cancelling

15. CyberShadow

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    (I use 'you' a lot here.... I am not singling anyone out or aiming this at anyone in particular.)

There are reasons where a seller would be justified in withdrawing an item on eBay - but I suspect that the majority of items withdrawn are not in this category. Putting anything for sale on eBay is making an implicit understanding that you hope that the item goes for a decent amount, but that you are willing to let the market decide the price and that it could go for a lot less. Thats the rules of the game, you can either agree to them all (including fees) or sell somewhere else. You cant pick the regulations that you decide are fine for you. Maybe the reserve price fee from eBay is unreasonable. But, so is my car insurance, but I pay it because it protects me against being out of pocket. Withdrawing an item because it isnt making what you want even after deciding not to put a reserve or BIN option on it is like trying to cancel a bet on a horse race when 'your horse' is clearly not ahead.

If you someone does have a minimum selling price, then use a reserve or BIN. If that is too expensive then just offer it for sale here at your price.

Put it this way...

Scenario 1 - A seller puts an item up for auction but it doesnt get what they want so they withdraw it.

Scenario 2 - A buyer wins an auction but refuses to pay because now they have found the item in a store for a cheaper price.

Neither of these are 'fair' but eBay seems to think that number one is fine but number two is not. If a buyer said that they wont pay because they didnt expect it to go for their maximum bid and they dont want to pay that much, they would be accused of not living in the real world

16. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I got tired of pulling auctions, now I just put them up in my store for a BIN, and that saves me a lot of time and hassel with wondering if I'm going to make my money back or not. So the pulling teh auctions has ended for myself, and the auctions that I have pulled were ridiculously low bids, and I just didnt have enough faith in the bidders to get myself a good price- kinda gun shy if you will. If you get a store, then the fees are cheaper, but you have to pay a monthly fee. damned if you do, damned if you dont-it seems with ebay, your gonna have to pay fees one way or another.

17. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    I agree it's annoying. But the seller can do what they want.

18. Starscream1073

Starscream1073 Seeker Commander

I'm not trying to get around anything. Between the eBay and PayPal fees, to sell an item it ends up costing sellers like $5-$6 extra dollars. So if I sell something for $30.00 including shipping, right off the bat that's $25 or $24, then let's say shipping is $5.00, that makes it $19 or $20. and on top of that, I use the shipping calculator so it goes right thru the USPS based on the buyers zip code, and if the buyer chooses parcel post, the shipping quote does not include delivery confirmation so thats another $0.19 out of the sellers pocket. Plus shipping materials like boxes, tape, printer paper and printer ink to replenish your printer. that stuff isn't cheap. but when buyers cry and complain about shipping prices they never take all those variables into consideration when they go into their rants. I never gouge on shipping to turn an extra profit but just like any online retailers, their shipping costs includes the price for these shipping supplies.

So to put it bluntly, unless eBay lowers their stupidly high fees, sellers have every right to remove an auction if they feel their item won't sell. and if you list an item say at a starting bid of $10.00, eBay's fees kick in. if you start a bid at $0.99 then you dont have pay an insertion fee, just a percantage of the final sale. but if you list it at a price above $0.99 than you have to pay an insertion fee on top of the final sale percentage, plus if you use PayPal then you have to pay their fees as well.

19. CyberShadow

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    No offence, but I disagree. I feel for the costs involved, and understand the difficulty. But, eBay being expensive does not give sellers the right to cancel items at all. It entitles the seller not to use eBay, if they choose. But, cancelling the sale doesnt affect eBay and only hacks off the buyer, who is not at fault for eBays fees.

At the end of the day, an item is cancelled because a seller has one price in their head, and the largest global transformer-buying community in the world disagrees with that price at that time.

Sellers make a choice. They either decide to sell their items on eBay and pay the fees to get their items in front of a huge potential market, or they sell elsewhere. If sellers really are upset at the costs involved, selling elsewhere is going to be far more effective than cancelling items, and is going to upset far fewer people who are also just out to buy some toys.

20. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I never realized eBay charged fees for a reserve price and a starting price over $.99. That's horseshit.

Knowing that, I can't say I blame sellers for ending early.