Canadian TV

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by jorod74, Apr 12, 2008.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i have a question for the Canadians. What the heck is the difference between Canadian TV and American TV?

years ago, as MTV was sliding away from music, i found a network i liked better- MuchMusic. I loved it because it had more than just music, it had specials (you could watch the evolution of a band as they played videos in Chronological order) or in a TRL manner, artists came into their studio, but it was more interactive and personal.
    But the best was the booths that videotaped people's comments about whatever, or Henry Rollins reading poetry between vids.

and during the bruhaha over quebec back in the mid 90s, i learned more about the issues surrounding that from a music channel than any of the news networks.

well, in the past few years, MM has vanished and what few canadian networks our satellite service provided dried up. now i am kinda sad knowing i am missing out on some fascinating stuff.

so what makes Canuck-vision so special?

2. Robimus

Robimus Wanna'be Cassettebot

News Credits:
    MuchMusic still exists, though I don't know if it is still the same as it was years ago.

I think what you find with Canadian programming that you may enjoy is the focus on Canadian content required by the goverment. It forces Canadian channels to be creative and come up with programming to watch as they are not allowed to simply show all programs from south of our border, though we do import channels like Spike that do just that.

I don't really know what percentage the CRTC requires as Canadian and it probably isn't that high. I'm guessing somewhere between 10% to 25%, just enough to likely give a fresh perspective when compared to a similar US channel. Maybe someone else has more details than I.....

3. Primal

Primal Moderator

News Credits:
    Cancon (Canadian Content) Rules

Cancon rules apply to radio, television and specialty broadcasting.

Radio
    To qualify as "Canadian content," music must generally fulfill at least two of the following conditions (the MAPL system):

M (music) - the music is composed entirely by a Canadian.

A (artist) - the music and/or the lyrics are performed principally by a Canadian.

P (production) - the musical selection consists of a live performance that is (i) recorded wholly in Canada, or (ii) performed wholly in Canada and broadcast live in Canada.

L (lyrics) - the lyrics are written entirely by a Canadian.

Under the Commercial Radio Policy, 35 per cent of all music aired each week on all AM and FM stations must be Canadian. In addition, 35 per cent of music broadcast between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. Monday through Friday must consist of Canadian content.

French-language radio stations are required to ensure that 65 per cent of the vocal music they broadcast each week, and 55 per cent of vocal music broadcast between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. Monday through Friday, is in the French language.

Seven per cent of music aired on ethnic radio stations each week must be Canadian.

Television
    Private television licensees generally must achieve a yearly Canadian content level of at least 60 per cent overall, measured over the course of the entire broadcast day, and at least 50 per cent between 6 p.m. and midnight.

The CBC, as the national broadcaster, must ensure that at least 60 per cent of its program schedule between 6 a.m. and midnight consists of Canadian productions. It must maintain the 60 per cent level over the course of the broadcast day.

Evaluation of Canadian content in a television program is based on the following criteria: whether its producer and key creative personnel are Canadian; the amounts paid to Canadians for services provided to make the program; and amounts spent in Canada on lab processing.

Broadcasters may also claim a 150 per cent time credit for Canadian dramas which have a full Canadian complement in key creative roles, and which meet certain scheduling criteria.

Pay-TV, Specialty and Pay-per-view
    Pay-TV, specialty and pay-per-view services have varying Canadian content requirements set by the CRTC as their condition of license. The requirements depend on a number of factors, including the nature of the service and the types and availability of programming offered. The requirements are reviewed periodically by the CRTC at license renewal time.

Co-production Treaties
    Canada has signed numerous co-production treaties with other countries, particularly with France, which allow Canada to share production costs in film, video and television production ventures.

To qualify as "Canadian" under Cancon rules, a Canadian production company must retain a financial participation position of at least 50 per cent, and a 50 per cent share of the profits. These include all ventures with co-producers of a foreign country that does not have a film or television production treaty with Canada. There is some variation in criteria for co-ventures involving a co-producer from a Commonwealth or French-speaking country, or a country with which Canada has a film or television production treaty.

Source: Media Awareness Network

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Not much, really. Show times are jumbled between networks but we get all the same stuff you get.

Canadian Programming itself, however, kinda sucks. Unless it's comedy, then it's hilarious.

Oh wait, that is Canadian Programming.:D  I guess Canadian Programming doesn't suck.:lol 

But yeah, aside from the increase in ROFLs, not much difference.

5. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Yeah... what he said. Mostly comedy (intentional or not) programming. To be honest, the Hockey Night in Canada coverage is second to none. That is one thing the CBC does very well.

Basically, think of it just like US TV... but with maple syrup and back bacon.

6. jorod74

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    that's more like what i was getting at. i guess it was refreshing to me to see canadian networks using that creativity in a way that, well, it made me think they sincerely valued the public's input or didn't mind risking a channel change by airing poetry readings or book reviews and things. kinda like our Ovation channel, except it didn't come off as stuffy.

and what the fuck is with Trailer Park Boys? that show is sooooooooooooooooooooo on the mark about trailer trash (alabama, or Brandom Manitoba, trailer parks must be a universal truth, lol) a girl from Halifax nudged me to them- saw what i can on Youtube, now trying to get whole episodes for the DVD collection.

and hey, thanks for the CanCon rules. that actually helped, too. makes me understand broadcasting better than our own system. and it seems to work better, too.

7. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

We also have different rules regarding language and what you can see. For example Nip/Tuck, Rome, and the Sopranos are/were all broadcast completely uncut at 10 PM. And in the case of Nip/Tuck and Sopranos on a major network, CTV (=NBC/CBS/ABC). Wrap your head around that.

Also CBC's dramas have goten much better. The Border and Intelligence are ok to good depending on the episode. I like Spaces show Bloodties. Plus thanks to Canadian networks Tripping the rift is still on the air.

IN the lulz department I really enjoy Corner Gas, Rent-a-goalie, and Billable hours.

8. jorod74

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    rent a goalie? oooookay....8^)

9. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Out side of Kids In The Hall and The Vacant Lot I don't know if I have seen much if any Canadian comedy. What are some good ones to seek out?

10. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Small budget, big lulz. It's about the goalie mafia in Toronto's little Italy.

Edit: Here's a promo for it's second season.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I also watch Corner Gas. It can sometimes be a little "hehe, that was funny" but the last one was frickin' hilarious.

"Leroy's create Ghetto" had me in stitches.":lol 

But other than that it's the stand-up comedy shoiws like Just for Laghs, Comedy fests and Comedy Now that supply most of the lulz. And of course, stand-up varies from performer to performer.

12. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

I'm not too happy with CBC right now since they axed JPod, which was an amazing show.. One of the funniest show since Arrested Development.

13. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I miss the Red Green show.

14. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Some of my favorite Canadian shows:

Four on the Floor

Cketch Comedy that paved the way for Kids in The Hall

Hilarious House of Frightenstein

I loved this show, like a Sketch comedy and horror show.

The Racoons

Was a great cartoon...still watch it on Teletoon retro. (kinda like Canadian cartoon network)

Danger Bay

Set in Vancouver two twins get in to all sorts of trouble while helping their father who worked at the Vancouver Aquarium...plus I thought the girl was hot...

Smith and Smith

Pre-curser to Red Green.

Looking back there were a lot of good Canadian shows. I like some of the new stuff like Corner Gas, but some stuff is terrible.

15. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Some stuff is always terrible. And I always like how you can just tell when a show's been produced in Canada for a Canadian audience.

I got real fond memories of 90's and early 2000's Much.

16. SuperPrimalZ

SuperPrimalZ Well-Known Member

Blashphemy, talking about Canadian Comedy, and not mentioned MuchMusic's Video On Trial(although it does vary due to judges aswell)?!?!?!

Both Chilly Beach(CBC may have canned this one, since no new episodes in a year or two) and Odd Job Jack(which I believe Comedy Network may have canned) get my Animated Comedy seals.

So agree about jPod, died to soon, atleast we can hope with www.savejpod.ca/ (I'm shameless pluging that every chance I've got :D )