Canadian RID Prices??

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Mewtwo, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Mewtwo

Mewtwo Transform & Bamboo out

I just got back from Zellers and I was surprised and happy to see RID Bumblebee and Cliffjumper. I was all set to go purchase them when I decided to scan them. They came up $24.95! So I double checked with an employee and it as confirmed.

What the hell? Deluxe's at $24,95? Can anyone else in Canada confirm this price? Have you seen them at other stores besides Zellers? Is this the new price or is Zellers seriously marking them up?

Fellow Canadians need some input help here. Thanks.

2. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    cheaper at TRU. zellers price gouges big time so when they put them on "sale" it looks like a massive price drop but it's just regular prices everywhere else

3. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Yeah, Zellers is totally selling the RID deluxes for 25 (hahah), but TRU should have them at the regular 16.99 point once they start showing up there.

Edit - Wave 1's actually been sighted in big cities already

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  4. Dinobots Rule

Dinobots Rule Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i know this has been talked about somewhere but why are figures more expensive in canada?

5. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Well the way I've understood it, things cost more to for the consumer because due to the drastically lower volume, everything costs more for everyone in the supply chain. I'm sure there's a more wordy explanation than that, but I really think much of it comes down to volume & business opportunities that Canada can't even come close to matching the US on. I mean, Canada might be physically very large, but its quite small in the grand scheme of things when it comes to the population numbers themselves, so that's another easy way to look at it.

In either case, deluxes don't normally cost 25 bucks. That's just Zellers digging themselves deeper into the grave because they got to the stuff first, and as someone else (can't forget who or where, but ti made sense to me) suggested that maybe this stuff was simply redirected our way from Target's US distribution, and that's why they markup came as it did.

6. Dinobots Rule

Dinobots Rule Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ok, i never thought about it in terms of population volume.

7. Reaper Cloud

Reaper Cloud Dark Wrecker

News Credits:
    It does suck for you guys in Canada...but at least you have the FE figures.

At the price of 25 dollars, you could get two at 50...and for us in the U.S., we're lucky to get just one at 60 dollars when you factor in the shipping and then the added price for that person's time.

I wish that I lived near Canada again. I cannot justify spending 60 dollars for just one Cliffjumper, and he's the cheapest FE out there. Well, not counting Starscream, Bumblebee, or Arcee.

8. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Well about the population, that might not be the only reason, but from a mathematically standpoint I think it makes sense. Like, if it takes you twice as long to sell something or twice as many resources per piece need to go into it, then you'll need to charge more to the next person down the line to stay afloat. That's part of why big business in the retail world (wal-marts, etc) can sell at lower prices than most others. They have more volume & more stroke when it comes to the market, and they use it to their advantage.

Either way, it's just how stuff works, and when it comes to the world of collectibles, it can be pretty wanky. Like right now, Cliffjumper & friends are cheaper in Canada because they can be found in stores, but other things are the opposite. Sometimes you score, and sometimes you take it up the arse. In either case, it's not that bad most of the time because if you ignore the recent Zellers thing, deluxes are normally 15-20, which isn't a whole lot more than US pricing.

9. UTF

UTF Manifestation of /toy/

News Credits:
    The Zellers pricing is an error. They have the RID Deluxes scanning as the larger Kreo sets. It's an error people have brought to their attention, but they still don't think they're wrong.

As for the higher pricing in general on Canadian toys, the answer is a simple one: People will pay it. That's all it is. We get stuck with higher taxes, and our dollar fluctuates alot, but even when we're at par with the US, McDonalds doesn't suddenly lower all it's prices. You can't just re-price everything based on how the dollar's doing. It annoys the hell out of me, but nothing can really be done. A store can charge what it wants, and it wants to make $21 per deluxe after taxes (at least where I am).

10. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    They're $16.99 at TRU. I got them on sale last weekend for under $12 (30% off).

Zellers used to sell deluxes only $1-2 more than TRU-WM, sometimes the same price. I'm really suspecting a pancanadian fuckup on that one. Even Hart stores are selling them for "only" $19.99 (normal for them).

11. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    For the OP, yes Zellers are pricing the Prime RiD deluxes at $25. TRU have them priced at the more standard price of $16.99 but alot of TRUs dont have stock yet.

As far as why prices are higher in Canada, it's the combination of a large land area and a small population that make the most difference. Although I think part of it also has to do with the US/Canadian dollar exchange rate from years past. Prices were set due to both issues stated above and even though the dollars are on par now, Canadian retail sees no need to drop prices since the population is used to the prices already set.

12. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I am not visiting Zeller's anymore just on principle that they are overpricing the deluxes. Generations are $20 and even that is ridiculous. The same ones have been on the shelf since the marked up the price. Good luck moving this shit at $25, Zeller's, you'll need it.

13. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Pretty much.

I've bought a lot of clothing at Zellers, but other than that, it's usually just a waste of gas to even go there. TRU might be 40 minutes away from where I live, but at least they're somewhat current & sell at competitive prices, and if I stop there on my way back from Yugioh tournaments, it's really like an extra drive.

14. Mewtwo

Mewtwo Transform & Bamboo out

Wow. I didn't expect such feedback and replies.

Thank you guys. This community is awesome. :) 

So ok it IS overpricing by Zellers. (Or an error). Either way they weren't going to change it and wanted that much for the figures. So no... they can sit there. However if it had Been Arcee... I know I would have caved and bought it... :redface2: 

I hope when I go up to Toys R US on Sunday they have some in stock. So I can at least get an idea how much these will be going for normally and not when marked up.

15. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Zellers is much more expensive than other stores (which is probably why many will be closing in the immediate future), but even that seems a bit much. Each? I could understand if it was together.

16. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Actually it's more like why is stuff so cheap in the US. Because we benefit from proximity to the US and get cheaper prices than say Japan or Eruope (where $25-$30 for a deluxe is normal).

17. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Holy Crap! That is Robbery.

18. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

Gotta say that's a pretty bad price for the new smaller deluxes. Zellers is such a joke anyway. I can't wait until Target takes over, 2013 can't come soon enough.

It used to be because of the exchange rate between Canada and the U.S. The U.S. dollar used to worth quite a bit more than ours, therefore things cost "more" up here but was actually pretty much equivalent. But the prices haven't really changed at all since the drop in the U.S. dollar so Canada is basically getting gouged now. Because our dollar is nearly equal with the U.S. dollar now.

19. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's actually worth $1.01 USD right now.

It's the Australians that really have something to complain about, though. IIRC, $25 is pretty much the standard price for Deluxes there, despite their dollar being worth even more than Canada's currently (and stably so for quite a few years now), at $1.07 USD.

20. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    On the plus side for Canadians that live close to the boarder, they can visit the US & get massive savings compared to what they normally pay. Every time I go to Buffalo, I always see Ontario plates in the parking lots.