Canada Post mail strike. May 24th

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stilettoheels, May 18, 2011.

1. stilettoheels

stilettoheels Banned

Simcoe Article: Postal workers in strike position, May 24

just a heads up for anyone expecting anything from Canada land. Mail has been slow the last few weeks and i assume it's due to disgruntled workers in preperation for this strike. things are taking longer it seems, as i've been waiting on a few things from the USA that SHOULD have arrived this week already.

2. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well, Mail's always been slow & overpriced in Canada land, so you'd think at least some of that money would go to the workers, but I guess it's not.

I'd normally make a note about how this sort of things isn't the least bit surprising from those living in a Harper government, but I'm apparently not allowed to involve politics in my posts, so instead I'll just rant about how funny (funny probably isn't the best word, but you know) it is when people who have more than a comfortable living with union jobs that allow them to go on strike in the first place find themselves in the fire like this. Also, if this was only a group of 27 people in one city that're going on strike, then it likely won't effect very much in the long run. However, since it's apparently on a much wider scale, it could easily make a mark.

Not that I'm trying to discredit their jobs or what postal workers have to put up with (especially with all of the mail fraud that people still try & with the unrealistic expectations that're given to them), but even the entry level positions that I've come across pay beyond the point of what a working class person should complain about (a hell of a lot more than I've ever made anyway), and it's not like having multiple tier plans for pension & other saving plans is a necessarily a bad thing anyway. If anything, it rewards people who stay at their jobs for more than a few months & encourages employers to make efforts toward keeping the said people, so I really hope they're bitching about something more serious than people needing to hold their job for 6 months before getting out of probation or whatever, such as more pressing issues like having too few people for the higher workloads & whatnot. If anything, that's one of the bigger problems, especially in a time when unemployment is so high.

Edit - As far as pension plans go, I'd be curious to know if a bunch of people lost their money via market fluctuations, and whether or not they were made aware of how their pension plans were being invested before the fact. If anything'd make this interesting, it could be that. :p 

3. stilettoheels

stilettoheels Banned

i had a sit down with someone who worked higher up at a local sorting plant in Moncton, and they said that Canada post services were SO EXPENSIVE is because of the 3 Territories. towns and cities are so far apart, and service is so sparse, that some places can only get mail by plan, and ski-doo in the winter. so we in the maritimes pay for the mail drops in uckluck muckchuck, and they get away with paying stamp price to have Harry the polarbear slayer dog sled man to trek up to them and pick up mail.

i have to say canada post is among the worst postal services in the world. to have something tracked is ridiculous. and half the time they don't even bother to scan it, so it's delivered before the website even says it's been accepted at the drop off location.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Oh mother fuck.

5. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Well, when you put it that way (what with the distances being greater per population), it's no wonder that it costs more once we break past the standard letter bracket, especially for extra services like tracking & insurances. Guess it's better than entirely screwing people up north though, but I really envy people in the states who can actually pay the price they see on websites & whatnot.

6. stilettoheels

stilettoheels Banned

i can drive to my friends house in 4 hours in the next province, but it takes 5 days by mail.

SOMETHING
    IS

W R O N G !!!!!!!

7. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Well to be fair, one of the things I like in regards to larger items is that they're usually delivered to a zone rep (in my case London Drugs), and then just a notification slip gets delivered to my neighborhood mailbox. That way, stuff doesn't get left sitting on my driveway, and in theory anyway, it should be faster because the postal workers don't need to make several trips & carry around everything in their truck. Also in regards to the distance, I've come to expect 2+ weeks for anything, be it from China or from my friend who lives 4 hours away.

8. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

Duuuuuuuuuude and I thought the USPS was a ripoff scam....USPS is so bad, that if my bill is within driving distance I'd just take a day and run errands. This really sucks, hopefully it won't get that out of hand, but daaaaaaaaaaamn...and best of luck.

9. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    I hope this doesn't get outa hand either, but I really wouldn't be surprised to see this drag on, at least long enough for it to get noticed. I mean, isn't that the whole point? Also, and while I honestly don't find their pay to be unreasonable when compared to similar jobs, the expectations that have to do with it are a different story, so it's no doubt that somebody finally decided to step up. I mean, we might laugh at dog jokes & whatnot, but there's a reason behind why those jokes exist, and many places even require you to buy a whole different vehicle (such as a full size 4x4 suburban) that your job basically destroys in a fraction of the time that it would normally take to go through it because of the stopping patterns.

Heck, one of the jobs that I applied to asked if I had another person as a "back up" for whenever I got sick or couldn't finish my route in time, and I honestly don't see how anyone short of a family where only one person works can accommodate that, let alone someone who's just breaking in. Now, this isn't to say that it's completely unreasonable (you can't do many routs with a jetta), or that it's the only job out there with difficulties. It's just that given even the simple things that we know, as well as the thirst for perfection that we expect from the postal service, it's not that hard to see why these issues come up once in a while.

10. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    OH CRAP! i hope this dosent affects the Leader Optimus prime that i won from canada :( 

11. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    It's gonna be something to watch keep an eye on (having the internet helps), but I wouldn't freak out over it either. I mean, if a strike happens on Tuesday, then we'll probably know about it, and we'll probably know when it ends as well.

12. kristaldoodle

kristaldoodle Nutbar

dammit. I wanted to mail my friend her birthday picture to Deale.

welp. I shall wait a few more days :C.

13. Elita_One

Elita_One Метал для життя

My dad used to be on strike all the time when I was a kid. He just retired this past January but he was a Canada Post letter carrier for 40 years. Back then, he was on strike at least once a month, lol.

14. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
  15. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    No it's not.

Seriously giant smh

16. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Can't complain about the USPO here in my area..mail is delivered by a friendly person, who will even bring it to my door. :)  Had great service in Germany too..and they delivered the mail by bicycle.

Now Mexico...there, I was lucky to receive my mail, especially from the USA.

Hopefully, the strike won't last long, or they'll agree to change some things that will benefit everyone.

17. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    See for me, Mexico has often been like the Jerry Springer show. That's because regardless of how "bad" things seem to get in my life, there's always comfort in knowing that it's probably a hell of a lot worse down there.

18. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

You really do raise some very valid points and as a side story: While my brother was in the US Army he met a guy from New York dropping all kinds of jokes about southerners living on cotton farms and driving down dirt roads. :lol  Where we're from in Hampton Roads, VA, I don't think we have any dirt roads unless you're down or over in Farm Country, in other words its very rare to find a dirt road. Come to New England and boy its a different story up here. They're pretty much every where up here, oh, and Lance is right about the season of the mudding, btw I thought I was going to die in VT this spring,cause: sucked into a dirt road.

Point being after watching shows like Ice Road Truckers and seeing towns like Yellowknife, you guys are out there on the fringe, really pioneering if you think about it.

As for Canadian post, I would imagine that its the old mentality you want the job; it's yours but make sure you have the equipment to keep up. Unfortunately, it's not like that anymore; the tools we would use to keep the job just don't last like they used to, esp. as you pointed out your using your car and if it breaks well then, you know, next man in line. I understand why, but my question is how much at the top can be cut to make more room at the bottom?

19. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    No strike. Yet.

20. RKillian

RKillian https://rktoys.myshopify.com

We have some lively "conversations" about the mail service in other forums that I frequent. Living in a semi-rural area, it's really crazy to me how selfish people in remote areas or the city can be. And that's _before_ you get into ideological debates!