Can you recommend a Monty Python's Flying Circus episode for me?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by TheWarPathGuy, Nov 15, 2018.

1. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Tougher than Leather.

For a fellow teenager! I don't get these jokes. But can you tell me an episode I should watch?

2. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

If you don't find the jokes funny, then none. If you find the jokes funny, then all of them.

• Like Like x 5
  3. TheWarPathGuy

Oh...
    I find some of them funny. But some fly over my head. I don't know how to describe my sense of humor. But Iike physical, surreal, wit, off color, coincidence, irony, immature, or just a character being made fun of. I love dialogue based humor though.

Edit: forgot to mention toilet humor. But I love sarcasm.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  4. Dolza_Khyron

Then, I recommend all of them. But, perhaps start with one of the movies? Life of Brian, Holy Grail, and The Meaning of Life. Or just start with episode one and work your way up. It's a sketch show, so just watch.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TheWarPathGuy

The only sketch show I watched was MAD on cartoon network. And it was hilarious. Mainly due to the fourth wall breaks and humor only people who read the source material would get. It's a show younger and normal people won't get. But if you understand what their talking about it's funny.

Such as a Land Before Time character listing all the films. To which the other characters throw her out.

Optimus being called a "car" and gets offended and corrects Sam as being a truck.

Buzz Lightyear getting run over and saying "once again Pixar is ruined by cars"

Alex from Madagascar calling Shrek the Hulk being the Avengers came out recently and Alex says "But the avengers made more money than any movie ever." To which Shrek responds "You may call me the Hulk."

Lighting McQueen saying he should not be on the "movies that are out of ideas train." To which he explains the plot to Cars 2 and says "You know maybe I should be here."

Skits such as "fart or chair". Where if you guess wrong you get attacked by two buff men.

Referring movies on the business side of things. Like budget or actors.

Spy vs Spy

A skit involving a Will Smith type character who is the alien from Independence Day and called "The Fresh Prawn of Bal-Air."

Most of the skits were parodies of their names and a crossover of sorts instead of crash and Bernstein it was "Dash and Bernstein." A pun of the Rainbow Dash character from my little pony.

Mad's humor had alot of whit to it. Although it mainly made pop culture references. So comparing it to Monty Python's Flying Circus is not a good comparison. Madtv would probably be a better comparison.

Hey Ka-Blam is a sketch show! But it is not a good comparison either.

6. TheWarPathGuy

Here is a skit from the Mad TV show

7. Dolza_Khyron

If you liked MadTV, SNL, or any other various sketch comedy shows. (Like Robot Chicken.) Then, Flying Circus is something for you. It's like those shows, but much more British. It's made with some of world's best comical geniuses to ever exist. Don't worry too much about whether or not you get the jokes. I watched this stuff before I was 10. Which was 20 years ago. Which is before anyone had internet to look up the jokes. And I still enjoyed it.

8. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Can't really recommend and episode, they're way too hit and miss. Best you can really do is recommend individual skits.

• Like Like x 2
  9. grimlock_king25

grimlock_king25 Hail to the king, baby

Twitter:
    I recommend just watching the movie "And Now for Something Completely Different"
    It was made to introduce American audiences to Monty Python. It consists of remakes of some of their best sketches.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's all personal preference, especially with Monty Python's humour.

You won't really find great individual "episodes" per se, but Google "best monty python sketches" and you'll find some listicles which might be a good place to start.
    Movie-wise I loved Holy Grail but didn't much care for Life of Brian (haven't seen any others).

And since we're in the neighbourhood, I also HIGHLY recommend The Kids in the Hall. They're a Canadian sketch-comedy group with a tv show from before your time <feeling ancient> and because their skits aren't political or celebrity/pop-culture based you could still watch them today and not miss a beat.

11. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Monty Python is primarily surrealist humor, so there's not too many times it should go over your head, other than occasional references to British politics and bureaucracy. Most of the time, either it's just funny or it isn't. It's all a grab bag, so others are right--you can pretty much start anywhere (except maybe the German episode). But if you still want recommendations, "Deja Vu" is one of my personal favorites.

Others are recommending similar surrealist sketch comedies, so I'll mention WKUK (The Whitest Kids U'Know). The surrealist aspect is similar, but kinda 2000s USA flavored instead of 1970s UK flavored. However, there is a generous amount of shock, grossout, and drug humor mixed in as well.

• Like Like x 2
  12. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

Yes... all of them...

The skits aren't always the best but every episode always has a few good ones. There's more good than bad, plus it's interesting seeing how one skit leads into the next cause even though they're seemingly totally unrelated they always manage to find some way to connect them together. Watching a skit out of context by itself you miss that bit of clever writing that transitions one skit to another.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TheWarPathGuy

I noticed by watching one episode. Some jokes are funny like when they make fun of tropes. But some are meh. Sometimes the laugh track is so loud I can't hear the dialogue.

14. Goldlock

Goldlock and don't call me Shirley

News Credits:
    A Python thread? Well, it'd be rude not to add another opinion......

Monty Python is considered one of the most influential things to ever happen to comedy, and you can find their legacy, to some extent, in almost any comedy you see today.

As others have said, at least try out the films:

• Holy Grail
    • Life of Brian
    • Meaning of Life
    • Now For Something Completely Different
    And give as many episodes of Flying Circus a shot as you can manage. They really are either hilarious, or so absurd, that they're not funny at all!

Here are some of the most famous "wordy" sketches they did (just for a flavour):

• Like Like x 1
  15. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma ミサカ10032

The 1st episode the Funniest joke in the world sketch.

The cycling tour. Series 3 episode 8.

I love all the monty python stuff.

16. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

Hold on... they made four movies? I only knew about three... well I know what I'm doing over Thanksgiving.

Also, Eric Idle who did the voice for G1 Wreck-Gar was part of the Monty Python cast and seemingly wrote the Bah Weep Grah Nah Weep Nini Bong bit for Transformers as well... I'm not sure of it but it does seem like something from Monty Python. There's a similar bit of nonsense in the Search for the Holy Grail that it reminds me of. And that bit in Monty Python also happen to be Eric Idle saying the bit of nonsense.

17. openchallenge

openchallenge It's own reward

Culture constantly references them you should probably just watch the show and figure out what everyone is talking about. Without Monty Python spam is just a can of ham.

• Like Like x 1
  18. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

I don't like spam! I don't want any spam!

• Like Like x 1
  19. convoy84

convoy84 misses you like the deserts miss the rain.

News Credits:
    Fuck yeah, Kids in the Hall! Here, @TheWarPathGuy, sample three of my favorite sketches from their show:

You also mentioned you enjoyed the Mad cartoon from a few years back. So did I! I don't remember which came first for me, the cartoon or the magazine, but if you like the cartoon, definitely try the magazine. While it's in the same general realm as the cartoon in terms of humor, be aware that there are fewer subjects and "segments" that aren't shared between the two than ones that are. I will also tell you this: Python might be popular, and they might be legends, but if you can't get into them, it's totally fine. Speaking from experience, they are absolutely an acquired taste and their humor isn't for everyone. That's the beauty of being human: everyone's tastes are different and, indeed, no two are alike, so I find it fun (primarily with music) to just dive into something and see if I like it and take note of how those tastes evolve over time.

If you're absolutely dead-set on enjoying Python, well, I can't stop you, so I might as well tell you they're on Netflix; the entirety of Flying Circus, on top of The Life of Brian and several live shows and documentaries are all available for you to take in. Enjoy! Or don't. It really all depends on how you come away from this all.

• Like Like x 1
  20. TheWarPathGuy

Yeah i know humor is subjective. I found juvenile humor funny. But other people may not.

And cool you like Mad too?

I watched monty Python's flying Circus on Netflix. My older brother thought I was watching something wired when they did the topless women bit.

Have I ever mentioned I love The Three Stooges?