Can you have a realistic emotional relationship with a Human and a robot ?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by RedAlert Rescue, Jan 23, 2012.

1. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I was wondering do people think that you can you have a realistic emotional relationship with a Human and a robot ?

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Sure, why not? The Iron Giant proved that such a thing is possible.

Unfortunately, for every person who wants to see a human-robot emotional relationship realistically portrayed, there is a horde of people who go out of their way to produce fanart of Breakdown taking Knock Out up the tailpipe.

3. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

...That nickname isn't fooling me, Arcee, we all know about you and Jack. :D 

...but enough about that, "Original Poster who is Not Arcee", the question is really a lot like, "Can self-aware, intelligent alien machines with personalities be friends with humans?" Well, looking at it from a certain point of view, humans are also self-aware, intelligent alien machines with personalities, aren't they? :) 

4. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

TFs and humans are both sapient life forms, so emotional attachments (romantic or otherwise...remember that relationships can be platonic or brotherly) would be perfectly normal. BUT, the catch is the drastic difference in longevity. From a TF's point of view, a relationship with a human is like a human's relationship with a pet hamster...sure, you can love a short-lived pet, but to us a hamster's lifespan is brutally tiny. For some people, it's not worth the pain to get attached to a creature whose life is over in a flash. I imagine it would be the same for a Transformer.

It would be an interesting concept to explore, but I can't see it ever happening in a kid's cartoon. That's more likely to happen in serious science fiction, which unfortunately is something this franchise will probably never be. :p 

5. The F.N.G.

The F.N.G. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree with this. It is possible for a human and a Transformer to have a connection, but the different life spans hamper it. Humans are able to live 100 years, at best, while Transformers can live for millennia. Look at Bumblebee and Spike in the '86 movie. Spike is grown up and has a son, while Bumblebee is still the same 'Bot he was when he the awoke from stasis in 1984.

6. Dargor

Dargor Well-Known Member

Have you ever seen "Song of the Petalarian" from the Thundercats 2011 show?
    If the hamster is sentient, and able to feel and express thoughts, passions and feelings similar to yours, and becomes your friend, you´ll surely mourn his death no matter how short time you both were able to spend together.

7. Flashdisk

Flashdisk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, if the relationship is good. I bet they can make up for the quantity of time they spend together with the quality of time they spend together.

I think it would be an interesting relationship. I've seen it in various anime, manga etc. And I found it interesting.

I also kind of feel that the relationship would feel more real and poignant if we are constantly reminded of how vulnerable it is, that it needs tenderness to grow.

8. Glass_of_water

Glass_of_water Well-Known Member

i once got my hand stuck in a toaster that was emotional...

9. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    maybe, but I don't want to see it in Prime.

10. DarkLiger

DarkLiger Well-Known Member

Is it possible? Sure. is it a good idea?..that depends on the relationship.
    I can see Arcee realistically being like an older sister to Jack. Anything more than that..might get a bit creepy..

11. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    A romantic relationship, no.

Anything else would already exist, most human characters are more than a little fond of the TF's...

12. Thilda

Thilda Treat your mother right!

News Credits:
    First "Starscream is sexy" thread, now this... why bother with 4chan when I have this forum :D 

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Yes.

14. Dargor

Dargor Well-Known Member

Depends, that kind of stuff was well handled in "Bicentenary Man" without being creepy.

15. DinoFreakUSA

DinoFreakUSA Well-Known Member

Humans can form attatchments with non-sentient machines so they could most liklye form emotional relationships with sentient robots.
    As for romantic, eh...... It depends on what you mean by romantic. If you mean really close emotional bond, then possibly. But if you mean a really close bond, I suppose someone in this world would be into that.

16. superninjapuppy

superninjapuppy Pretender

Well Tfwiki said the writers wanted to have the kind of relationship between the kid and the Giant from the Iron Giant. So I'm going to go with yes.

17. StarryAqua

StarryAqua Former fandom follower

News Credits:
    Bumblebee, Bulkhead and Arcee have already shown they have emotional connections to Raf, Miko and Jack. Whether it goes further than that (refering to Arcee and Jack) is unclear.

One thing I really want to happen at some point in the show is for the Autobots to come to the conclusion that, no matter how much they care for their charges and how much they want to protect them, the children will still die eventually. That would be a very affective scene.

And I would find it extremely funny that an idea like that would be going to far, yet humans dying on-screen and robots getting stabbed and decapitated is perfectly acceptable. Not to mention The Haunting Hour gets away with much worse content every week.

18. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    This!:thumb  You're so on the money with that comment. But who knows perhaps the writers may do that eventully during it's later run. If they are indeed serious on focusing the "Iron Giant" aspect of the show they'd go for something like that.

19. SuperJazz

SuperJazz Dictator of my Dimension

I can see it happening in Prime, just not a romantic relationship. But I can defintly see it as "We both lost someone we care about so we will help each other get past this obstacle" kind of thing. And it is possible I mean they did all lose Optimus.

But a romantic relationship?! Seriously?! That would not work at all.... why would they even consider that at all? That's just loony! :crazy: 

20. JazzHunter83

JazzHunter83 Mrs FatalT

Yes, I think an emotional relationsip between a sentient robot and a human would be possible. I have a very strong, emotional attachment/relationship with my dog, he is pretty much loved like a child and we are of two different species.

Sexual relationship? Absolutely NOT....it just couldn't and shouldn't happen.