Can you ever be Too Early on filing a Paypal Dispute?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dark_Rage, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Dark_Rage

Dark_Rage Jaded Member

Hey, so I recently bought an item off a website, but for the last day or two, I haven't received any information on my order (other than the paypal email I got from sending the funds). Would it be too early to file a dispute with paypal, simply because there is no communication?

I don't know what the account of the seller has, but it's not even in their own name, that pretty much sent a few red flags to my attention.

I've sent him 2 emails and a question textbox on his website already.

Plus, he's unverified and non-U.S. user. I'm really tempted to click on the file a dispute button.

I'd appreciate any help/opinions.

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Have you emailed this seller? I'd find out if there's a problem or a holdup before filing a complaint.

3. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    2 days... WAY too early.

I'd give them a week, maybe 2 before I would jump to the dispute button for lack of communication.

4. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Can you even file a dispute this early?

I'd agree with the "shoot him off an email" post. It does seem to early to be pushing the panic button yet.

5. Dark_Rage

Dark_Rage Jaded Member

I have sent him email(s), plus one question on his website.

to various ones. The one on the website, and the email that is registered to his paypal account.

6. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
    It's still VERY early. Did you ever consider that most non-US sellers might not be in the same time zone? Assuming the seller is in Asia somewhere, it could be 12 or more hours difference.

Maybe mentioning who the seller is would help? Someone here has probably dealt with them at one point or another.

7. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I was going to suggest ratting him/her/them out as well.

8. Dark_Rage

Dark_Rage Jaded Member

Oh man, I'm gonna get flamed or finger-pointed for ignoring the signs of an untrustworthy website....It was last updated in April this year, what the hell, why didn't I see it earlier...

The store is figurenow.com.

I was order #7...!

There goes my money...

9. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Yeah, some alarm bells are going off on that site. I'd still wait the week and then file the complaint. However, I tend to give others the benefit of the doubt more often than not.

10. Dark_Rage

Dark_Rage Jaded Member

Although the longer I wait, the more chances he would have run off with my money, right?

Plus, reading the Paypal dispute help pages doesn't make it seem like I'll be getting all or any of my money.

Yeah, I probably shouldn't have ordered in the first place...

Another website others should avoid: trojantoystore.com

If you just google their store name, you'll find an interesting Yahoo Answers webpage.

11. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
    I'm fairly generous with international purchases. I wouldn't have ordered from them in the first place, though.

If you do go after a dispute, bump it up to a claim ASAP.

12. Dark_Rage

Dark_Rage Jaded Member

Ok, so I decided to claim a dispute, since his account name is under "Figure Now", which is a total lie, and doesn't seem to be legit at all. And that he's unverified.

Only a few minutes shortly after I file a dispute, he emails me through his store email, telling me my order has been cancelled...and that's it. And there is NO indication of a refund at all. I've posted 2 messages indicating the situation and continuing to ask him what's going on, still nothing....

I don't know if there's going to be a difference if I decide to leave Paypal to take over this dispute or continue onto this dispute w/ the seller since he gives me NO communication whatsoever.

What's the worst case scenario that could happen? I could pretty much lose all my money, can't I? Damnit...

13. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
    Submit a copy of the email into the dispute claim. Then Paypal will almost have to give you your money.

14. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I would also assume that if he cancelled your order, he kind of has to give you a refund.

15. Dark_Rage

Dark_Rage Jaded Member

Ok, so now he emailed me to place another order (the same one I assume) because of "technical issues" on his website.

So I did, but I stopped as soon as I reached the Paypal payment website, since I already paid for the last order!

I emailed him and told him what I did (But I'm not paying again, since I already paid), so at least there's some communication, I still don't know if his idea of creating another order is a way to avoid the refund/issue of my first cancelled order.

16. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

So, basically he is trying to get you to pay twice for the same thing that you haven't even gotten yet? Wow. I just had a problem with a recent purchase on here and got no PMs or anything from them, but lo and behold I claim a PayPal dispute and the person miraculously appears and says they will get the stuff out soon.

17. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Okay, at first, I thought you were jumping the gun a little, but after that, my advice is DISPUTE NOW.

Caps lock intentional.

18. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    definatley bullshit man. file it asap.

19. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm gonna quote this for emphasis. You can ignore my opinion, 'cause I'm just some guy, but you need to heed the guidance of Malach Ra. For real.

20. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The basic rule is "never buy from a site that uses comic sans."

Also about all this Paypal verified address BS: only the US, Canada and I think the UK can actually get address verified accounts.