Can you blame Hasbro for poor distribution?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Grandum, May 19, 2011.

1. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was just wondering if you can blame Hasbro for poor distribution.

In Sweden we haven't had any CHUG related toys since Classics up until just recently when we got some legends class Reveal the shield toys thrown in with the movie line...the recomended retail price for a legends class figure is $15.

So I went out hunting some legends the other day and BR who is the biggest toy store in Sweden would typicaly have between 4 to 15 TF toys (yes 4 TF toys in the entire toystore - 2 legends and 2 deluxes)

Since they only had trailcutter and prowl at most places I began asking the employees if they could order specific figures, something that no retailer could do. I asked in several different kinds of retailers and they always gave me the same answer - Hasbro doesn't sell specific toys, but rather toy classes - scouts, deluxes, voyagers etc.

So I went online and went to swedish online retailers and kept seeing the same thing. "Transformers deluxe - this toy comes in different shapes and colours, we can't guarentee that the toy on the image will be the one that will be sent to you"

So...can you blame Hasbro for poor distribution? Can you order a specific deluxe in the US, or is it the same setup? (smaller toystores obv. not toystores with their own distribution system)

2. and2ng

and2ng Examples, Stupid!

News Credits:
    I believe you cannot order specific toys from Hasbro. Rather, you have to order cases/cartons of the toy classes and the cases are specified with the certain assortment of toys.

But I don't understand why online retailers cannot sell you a specific toy you want though....

3. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Yes, yes we can.

And figures all come in a casepack that varies content by wave. So you can't just order a specific figure.

4. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Retailers only order by the case assortment, and smaller retailers with distributor accounts (I think) can't always even pick the case in the line. Online you can get specific characters on Target.com, Walmart.com, etc if that figure in the case is instock. What hasbro can be blamed for is releasing lackluster figures that no one wants (like much of the HFTD line). But at the same time, when walmart orders loads and loads and loads of a poor case assortment, it is also their fault.

In the case where your store only stocks four figures, it is the retailers fault/decision to not carry a larger selection. General retail is a pull. Hasbro suggests (at times pretty convincincingly) what products to order and tried to get as much shelfspace as possible, but it is up to the retailer to decide what to order.

5. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Welcome to Europe, were online retailers give you the option between the toys "Trans Formers De Luxe", "Trans Formers Scout" and "Trans Formers Voyager". There was once a retailer that sold Cybertron Ultras and didn't give you the option to choose a specific toy. Yeeeeeeah, if I'm ordering something for roughly $50, I'd expect more than the pig in a poke.

6. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

what do you want them to do? make a case for each individual figure? :lol 

7. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    we can blame them for tuner mudflap, oh how we can blame them!

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Can you? Sure. Should you? Well, that's another question entirely. People are VERY quick to jump on Hasbro (and always have been), but often times forget the retailers' role. It's not Hasbro's fault retailers over-order on figures, for example. I do hope there is a discussion with Hasbro about these things at Botcon, though.

9. bagofshhh

bagofshhh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think you can give them partial blame. Because (at least here in the states) every once in a while there will be a Hasbro rep wandering the aisles at retailers. [In my experience] most have been completely clueless regarding what is in the toy lines, future releases, pretty much everything. Usually, I just see them putting out boxes.

If these Hasbro reps took a more proactive approach, maybe something as simple as documenting what toys are in what stores, they might be able to alter future case assortments and suggest cutting down on future production/distribution of shelfwarmers.

All it would take is some rep with a smartphone to immmediately update what they are seeing in stores to provide raw data to the Hasbro HQ. If collectors can do it for each other, why can't Hasbro? In theory, they would have the most to gain from it.

10. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    People are (especially on internet message boards) also VERY quick to jump to Hasbro's defense and assume they are completely innocent in this mess. But who really made the decision to ship Windcharger alone with the rest of the case filled with repaints? Just about any new figures seem to be short-packed with reissues from previous waves. This is what drove me out of Star Wars collecting, Hasbro refused to fix the distribution issues. Retailers are partly to blame, true. But Hasbro has a 'dedicated' online store that suffers the same problems. And I wonder if RtS would have had better luck if it had been run as part of Generations instead of tail-end Gold box.

+-MWG-+

11. Computron34

Computron34 Butt + Hurt = TF Fans

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    But if it ran as part of Generations, would we have seen though figures at all? My understanding was that They put "Gen" styled ones in with RtS to get them out. So instead of waiting for 6-7 waves of just generations, you could get 2-3 waves od RtS AND get 3-4 waves of Generations. Or vice versa for this little example.

12. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

In a way you can sort of blame Hasbro and sort of blame the retailers because they both had to agree on the wave system to make it work.

Big retailers just get boxes in labeled Transformers from a huge distribution center. Most stores don't care if it's the same figures already shelf warming because toys are only a small part of the over all sales for a store. You might see buggy loads of groceries going out the door but a buggy load of toys would be unusual.

You can kind of blame Hasbro when something is a bit hard to find because they are the ones who decide what figures go in those boxes going out to retailers. If a character was really hard to find they could even release the figure like some other Hasbro lines do, but for some reason Transformers has mostly been a one shot or you miss it line.

Small online retailers in the US will sell you individual Transformers by name because they found an edge in the market by doing it. Now you will have to pay extra because breaking up a case means there is a chance the retailer will be stuck with the slower selling case mates, but places like Big Bad Toy Store feel the risk is worth it.

13. poisoncow

poisoncow Well-Known Member

These Hasbro reps have about as much power as the rest of the people you see at Target/Walmart etc. They have a very specific job to do, mostly just checking on how product is merchandised. Can't blame them, they get paid very little and are doing what they're told. Each rep is also responsible for several dozen store's over a very large area as well. They don't have a lot of quality time to spend in one place. Just get the job done and on to the next.

14. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Hey, poisoncow. Are you the same toxic bovine from a place Beyond here?

I wonder who I blame for there being almost zero DotM stock in my area. Is it Hasbro for not getting it out there or the stores for not putting it out if they actually have it?

15. poisoncow

poisoncow Well-Known Member

Beyond what? Far beyond? I'll have to ask a "Bloke" I know over there and get back to ya.

16. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They rushed to get them out, when the deluxes could have formed the start of Classics 4. Who knows what might have happened with the voyagers and scouts if they were branded Generations. It might have gone either way, but they probably could've compressed them to one wave per size class.

FWIW, I could live with a unified packaging style where the waves have figures from various series, just different by a blurb on the card (like Universe 2 and some of the 2007-2008 "post-Anniversary" G.I. Joe figures had. But I also think Hasbro could consolidate waves of new toys, less frequent waves but more new characters per wave. Generations pushed out eight waves and big retailers seemed to skip every other wave.

+-MWG-+

17. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    My fire-lovin' pal. Nice to see you over here.

And to keep my post somewhat on topic, if I still don't see any DotM in the major retail outlets here next time I'm looking I shall be grabbing some staff person by the ear and rasping the reason why out of them to determine who to blame.

18. indie

indie Guns! More guns!

i can't blame all Hasbro. But i surely can blame Hasbro Turkey for all of my tf-related problems.

First, they have a specialized team which's only purpose is to choose the good figures just to make sure they don't import them.

Second, we get a price raise with every line. Yes, deluxes went up to 20$, voyages up to 35$ and leaders up to 65$!

Some would think we have a good economic situation as a country, with this prices, yes? No we don't.

19. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    It was pretty Telling when Aaron Archer ... One of "THE BOSSES" said at Botcon 2008 "I had to buy my Masterpiece Starscream on ebay" because Walmart distribution was so bad. It can be partially blamed on Hasbro, Too many repaints, not enough assortment, big figures at the end of a line. but retailers bear the blame too.

When Classics Devastator came out. he was on US shelves for 2 months...and still not at my walmart. all the time they'd say "nope it's not in the back." one day I heard that... I walked over to Pets and got this...just burned out druggy looking employee and got him to go back and look. comes out 2 minutes later with the box!!!

But even after that, they STILL never put them out until they clearanced them. like 7 Devastators for $12 in the walmart clearance aisle. wished I'd nabbed an extra.

SO it's more the retailers than Hasbro... but this particular time. this 6 month DROUGHT we've been in. I'd say the burden HAS to fall a bit heavier of Hasbro.

20. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    I'm leaning towards retailers on that one. In my experience working for Walmart in the US, Hasbro is usually VERY good at getting new major product pushes out in a timely manner (or even regular stocking, unlike Mattel where if it isn't Barbie or Hot Wheels, some stuff is NEVER replenished). If stuff doesn't reach the shelves, it tends to be some sort of issue with the store/store staff.

But what happens when Hasbro shows stuff and then has to delay/cancel due to retailer issues? Like with Windcharger and RtS Voyagers, there are still a LOT of people spewing a good bit of hate to Hasbro just because they can't walk into Walmart and buy a specific toy. Or what if Hasbro opted to "delay" Tracks and Jazz to get them in Generations? Fans would be bitching up a storm that they should have to wait for those figures.

So it starts to become a "lose/lose" when trying to satisfy fans AND retailers at the same time (and another lose when retailers decide not to order an entire SEASON'S worth of stuff in favor of simply waiting for movie toys).

At least with Generations, the pace is slow enough that prior toys get cycled into new cases with relative ease. If you miss a wave? Well I can pretty much guarantee those 2 or 3 toys will be packed into the next wave.