can you belive this BS!?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Ghost Prime, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Ghost Prime

Ghost Prime Banned

its been all over the UK news today but basically its about music download
    BBC NEWS | Technology | Net firms in music pirates deal

now its basically on about LimeWire and BearShare and other music download programs but really i cant see what the hell the problem is. Basically its a file sharing program and considering several music artists in the past have said 'music should be free' its kinda annoying RICH bastards such as Metalica who are all MILLIONAIRES are complaining they dont have yet MORE money from people listing to crap they made over 10+years ago

The thing is programs like limewire and bearshare are FILE P2P Programs not souly for MP3 transfers. The other stupid thing is YouTube ect HAVE the songs you want to listen to online and you can download them and transfer them into mp3 format within seconds! so if the Internet Providers and the music industry are going to be that much of a dick about it then does that mean if i down a song such as -Sting, Ill be watching you - and i make a music video for it and pop it on youtube.......if people watch it and download it is that Illegal!? does that make me crimenal for putting the song i have online for others to hear and watch!?

really the people who went ahead with this idea are absolute pricks

2. Armorhide

Armorhide Damn kids

Glad I'm in Canada were piracy is legal as long as we don't sell anything related. Hurray for CANADA!!

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Or you can buy the CD, put it on your hardrive, walk down the street, hand it to some stranger, tell him to do the same, then he will pass it on to someone else, ask them to do the same, and that is pretty much legal.

4. Ghost Prime

Ghost Prime Banned

its just so retarded and the bottom statement on the page is bang on. If i own a music album am i NOT aloud to download something i already own or share it with a friend?

if there going to be that much arseholes about it then when we trade TFs here we should all have to pay TAX AGAIN for 2nd hand goods......oh wait the games industry already tried that with 2nd games didnt they.....

i just cant belive how fucked up this is. for one thing how do i even know if a song is any good unless i listen to some of it? some albums have 2-3 good songs and the rest is aboluste shite yet i still have to pay for crap i dont want in an album when i could simply just download the songs i DO want within seconds off the net...

this is just really stupid

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ghost I completely agree with you, but as far as only getting 1 or 2 songs from an otherwise crappy album, couldn't you do that on Itunes?

6. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Yes you can. There are numerous sources that allow you to preview and buy individual songs. That is the whole concept behind these services.

7. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Here we go again...

8. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Yell at me all you want but this is basically stealing, which is why I stopped. I get a pretty heavy conscience when I know that I'm downloading this for free when I should buy it off iTunes. And I rarely see a download link to songs in the YouTube description box unless it's an original artist like Tay Zonday

And lol at the similar threads-"can't believe I won this for $14.50" , "do you believe in astrology":lol 

9. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

canada is funny. downloading is legal but intentionally uploading isn't. i think leaving it shared is considered ok though.

10. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    Japan is the same way. I can get arrested and jail time for uploading somebody else's IP but once it's out there you can download to your heart's content.

11. McBradders

Basically? No, it is stealing. But then this is Ghost Prime, the guy who refuses to pay for anything, it seems.

12. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Not even toilet paper? :drunk 

Srsly GP, I bet that if you were an artist and found out that your songs were being illegally downloaded for free that you'd have something to say about it

13. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    at the radio station where i work, we download everything that we play on the radio. some of our library is CDs, but we generally rely on Ares and Limewire (both of which suck balls). our philosophy is: are they gonna go after the kid who's downloading a bunch of albums so he doesn't have to buy them? or the radio station that's promoting the artist's music semi-illegally?

my feelings about downloading are this:
    i download every now and then, to see if i will like a band or not. it helps me weed out the terrible one hit wonders and the talentless tools who don't deserve any money or record contracts from the amazing musicians who aren't making enough money lol. and then i buy their albums. my favorite CD of all time i received from a friend on a burned CD. I have been trying to find somewhere to buy it for four months, even though i already have it. i want to support them, they deserve my money. see what i mean?

if i was making records, i'd rather not have the money of some dork who doesn't appreciate my music and my talent (so to speak). if he just likes one of my songs cause it's catchy, he can download it. i don't want his cash.

14. Spartan-117

Spartan-117 Well-Known Member

So, you're whining because they're not letting you steal something?
    Seriously enough of this crap, I'm sick of hearing whining justifications for stealing "I shouldn't have to pay for crap!" "Everyone else does it!" "There are other ways of getting it so what's the point?".
    I mean, really, come on.
    Why do you think the law doesn't apply just because it's a few songs on the internet? Saying you won't pay for music because it's all pop crap or the artist is rich enough as a justification is bollocks. You wouldn't walk into a store and pinch the actual CD with those justifications would you?
    The truth is you only do it because it's only easy and anonymous and now you're bitching because it's not so easy anymore.
    Seriously, I don't care if you download stuff or not. Unabashed thievery is fine by me just don't be such a whiny little child when people make a move to stop it as if it's your God given right to nick things.

15. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    All they're doing is inforcing the law. You wouldn't want people taking your property and livelihood without someone looking out for you. We've all done it, and there are plenty of gray areas involving your rights, the IP owner's rights, and a service provider's responsibilities, but when it comes down to it, this doesn't hurt you at all - at most, all it does is encourage you to play by the rules. If you're going to technically steal something (regardless of the upload source) then you can't complain when your connection gets cut off or worse.

That said, I HATE the way Comcast and other ISPs monitor and restrict bandwidth like maniacs. In cases where legit high-bandwidth activity (online games and legal up/downloads) raises flags and causes service interruptions, I cry foul.

16. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can only laugh. :lol  Many heavyhanded measures taken are too late by the nature of the internet. Embracing the web and selling tracks over it is awesome and one of the best solutions.

Nigh-aimless bandwidth capping is certainly irritating if it's used liberally, though, and I very much stand against it as a practice. It affects YouTube uploads and my internet radio streaming really, really harshly on my end. Please note: irritating because it affects things unrelated to music piracy.

I also believe it is very silly to get angry over stuff like this for no reason other than "I WANT IT FREE". Personally, I feel the industry is outdated and abusive cost-wise to many of the artists, and needlessly harsh on upcoming artists for reasons entirely based on monetary profit over creativity. This view is me exercising my right to criticize the music industry. Stealing music with no intent to ever give something back to any artist is not exercising that right. Please enjoy the grey zone I have left there for you to mull over. :) 

Also, because it's One Of Those Topics: Yes, I have illegally downloaded many musical things. I have also ended up purchasing a good majority of those things. I do not intend to argue either way whether or not I am making a pathetic attempt to justify crime. My personal belief that I am not forcing on any of you is that owning a hardcopy (CD, for instance) is superior to just owning a softcopy (data file), even though most of my CDs are typically on the shelf and never used outside of when I rip them into my computer. I find it more satisfying to have a hardcopy on hand if needed, with its pretty case and pretty booklet and pretty physical nature.

17. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm in the "Why are people complaining about not being alloud to steal?" group. Sorry guys, it might suck that you may not be able to steal what you want the way you want, and companies may not be able to enforce the law in all ways they want, but when they can and do it's totally in their right. It doesn't matter how rich the owners are, you can't just be alloud to steal anything even if you try to justify it by your standards. It isn't like an economy runs on music and MP3's, these are entertainment products, and you can do without if you don't happen to have the cash to buy them.

18. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

[​IMG]

19. McBradders

:lol 

20. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Doesn't that guy in the background look like he's plowing the wall?