Can/Will TF3 live up to ROTF and its earnings?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Autobot_Wall-E, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Autobot_Wall-E

Autobot_Wall-E The Musical

They are two different questions I suppose but do you think that TF3 has a chance of making the kind of money the ROTF did? I mean ROTF was highly anticipated because the first movie was really good and it drew people in but I think ROTF may have pushed some people away while drawing a few more in. I know there are a ton of people out there who love it but I know for a fact that plenty of people were turned off to the movieverse after the messups in ROTF.

So bottom line is do you think TF3 has the possibility to make as much or create as much anticipation even with the general audiences?

Second part to this is do you think that TF3 actually will. Even if there is a possibility but do you really think that it will happen?

2. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I think it will.

3. cnic

cnic Decepticon

Definitely.

4. $shockwave$

$shockwave$ Banned

News Credits:
    Most definitly.

5. interceo

interceo Well-Known Member

This would deppend on the movie plot; something radical like see rodimus, galvatron, maybe dinobots, etc; how well they use a turonver so big like this or a new complete plot; but i think real fans like me will stick to this bayformers as we do to the G1 series a long time ago.

6. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I'm guessing that the third movie will also have a huge marketing machine behind it as well so the chances are pretty good of it making about the same money.

Films seem more about marketing these days than they are about the quality of the movie so with the right ads you could make big money off Indiana Jones 5, Spiderman 4, or Pirates 4 even though you can find public opinion about the disappointment of the previous film.

7. Primesfist

Primesfist Well-Known Member

IMO, I think TF3 will surpass ROTF in both earnings and in terms of how could a film it is. Hopefully they will take all the criticism from ROTF and learn from their mistakes. I think it will be epic and earn a shed-load of wonga, but I fear that Bay and his cretinous writing team will include so much crappy humour and pointless human dialogue that it will fall sadly short of the mark.

I hope I am infinitely wrong, so so bad.

8. kidnicky

kidnicky Well-Known Member

People who like movies don't bitch about them online. It seems to us like a lot of people disliked it,because we read threads like this,but in reality,most people saw it,thought it was pretty good,then went about their day. Most people think every movie is pretty good.

9. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    It'll probably make a shitload of cash; can't say for sure if the earnings will top ROTF's, though.

10. neoprimus01

neoprimus01 Jackpot

This. TF3 will do even greater, because people who complained about ROTF will go see TF3 to see if it is any better in their minds. That will equal $$$ (and lots of it).

11. Ash from Carolina

I think it depends on which part of the creative team as to how the public feedback will impact.

ILM seems to have their ear to what the public is saying so they are always out to make their effects just a little bit better than they were before. They also seem to watch what their peers are up to see if they can top what the other guys are doing.

Provided we get the same writers then we know they listen to what we say because heck how many writers do you know that hang out on fan sites.

The director though is the sticky part since he thinks he can do no wrong so it's always some actor's fault or marketing's fault, it never has anything to do with bad choices he made. Until we get a change in the director's chair I think public feedback isn't going to count for anything.

12. rattraprules98

rattraprules98 AKA Chr0nus

News Credits:
    I heard mr bay is walking away from transformers for a while

13. rattraprules98

rattraprules98 AKA Chr0nus

News Credits:
    or all together

14. Ash from Carolina

Just taking a year off so instead of Transformers 3 being out in two years it will be out in three years.

15. Autobot_Wall-E

Autobot_Wall-E The Musical

He definitley needs some time off. I think he did TF1 and ROTF back to back. Hespent a whole lot of time on this last movie I would need a break too. If you do some thing for too long, you get kind of stale with it. Would you rather have a horrible TF3 in 2 years or a decent to good one in 3?

16. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think so, It'll come close but not pass it.

17. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

I really didnt see ROTF making the money it did. My opinion before the movie was that it wasnt going to do so hot probably less than tf1. Then having saw the movie I was pretty sure of it as it just seemed like the biggest dissapointment story wise and characters were no better.

But the US movie goers proved everyone wrong by throwing a rediculous amount of money at it domestically.

Just makes you realize ILM cgi bots are way to big of a sell. I doubt it even needed the Transformers label on the movie.

18. MagnusMaximus

MagnusMaximus Active Member

I think that TF3 has the potential to make as much money as RotF provided that the movie is presented well.

TF2007 came out to fairly even ground with respect to expectations. There were a lot of hardcore fans who wanted to see it despite internet rumblings. There were a lot of casual fans or people who were exposed to TFs as kids so that's the nostalgia factor. Then there was the general public who had little exposure to it aside from awareness of the property via cartoons and toys they'd see from time time to time(normal people, haha) and they probably had a fairly open mind about the movie before seeing it.

The success of TF2007 was because it hit the right buttons for most people. As a straight up movie, it's an enjoyable summer blockbuster. I've watched TF2007 twice in the theatres and I've lost track how many times I've watched it on DVD at home or a friend's house. It just never gets old for me. The overall balance and pacing of action, humour, and bit of TF geekiness is great. Hardcore fans could enjoy it, casual fans could enjoy it, and even the general public could enjoy it. It was a relatively "safe" movie. It didn't try to ride the edge of creative genius. It was a well executed movie that knew what it was going for.

RotF built upon the success of TF2007 and love it or hate it, the sales speak clearly that a lot of people wanted to see it. Now whether or not they enjoyed it as much as the first movie is debatable. I enjoyed RotF but I also recognize some significant flaws in the story, the pacing, and characterization or lack thereof for some characters. I'm not looking for a thoughtful drama but at the same time, I didn't see RotF do as good of a job as the first movie in the story department.

Now, consider that I'm a fan of TFs and I'll excuse things I see has shortcomings in RotF that a general movie goer probably will not. This is something to consider for the third movie with respect to "returning customers". Casual and hardcore TF fans seem to be in the love-or-hate department. I've read/heard some unconditional praise for the movie and I've read/heard some unfair criticism of the movie. My experience from seeing the movie is that it's a good-to-great movie for TF fans but for the average movie goer who does not have a significant attachment to the TF franchise, the movie is good but with some significant flaws.

So for TF3, I think the story quality and presentation needs to exceed TF2007 and RotF to maintain even profit after the opening weekend and first week or two of release. The SFX are going to be great considering the money and SFX companies behind the film. Bay is a proficient action director. So what we need is a solid plot that is directed well. I'm not asking for Oscar nominee level direction but something that will give extra substance for movie goers so they aren't left hungry for something more after the action bits. It's not too often that movies get more than a trilogy before ending or changing hands like the Batman and Superman movies. I say if TF3 is going to be the last with Bay and crew, let's hope for the best possible action movie with good storytelling. Let's go out with everything we've got. :) 

19. MekaGojira3k

MekaGojira3k Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Depends. People will expect a shitty movie.
    Some people will see it regardless, what
    will help push it into the clear is good word
    of mouth. That would require a decent and
    coherent script. So, it's a long shot, but it's
    possible.

20. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Theres a 99% chance that it will surpase ROTF. I highly doubt that it wouild be worse than ROTF.