Can we really blame the writers?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Ash from Carolina, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Yea I know threads like this are doomed to get closed because of the way fans love to fight, but I was sort of wondering about what people thought and hey it might be fun while it lasts.

One of the complaints some of us have about the first film is in the writting department. Not going to get all flamey about it, some of us just didn't like it.

But are the writters really to blame for the problems some of us might have had with the script of the first film. We know one of the producers wanted the boy and his car story put into it. We know the director was set on getting some of the things he wanted into the script. Can't remember exactly where Orci said it but there was the thing about how the suits didn't want the robots to talk at all. There was the meeting thing to inject more comedy into the script for the first film. Who knows what all Hasbro wanted injected into the movie.

So I guess what I'm saying is that if you were making a soup and people kept coming by putting things into the pot is the finished soup really your fault or is the problem you had a good soup before people started throwing things in it?

On sort of a related note do you think the second film will have a better story, script, and all of that if people are more hands off this time and actually let the guys write instead of attempting to put stuff in?

Thanks for how ever long this thread lasts.

2. Baccala1976

Baccala1976 Well-Known Member

In before the close!

It depends on what a person didn't like about the movie. If someone didn't like the movie because of the story line, then yes I think you can blame the writers. If someone liked the story line but not the way it turned out on film, then you blame the director.

3. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    I personally didn't have any beef with the script, but I do agree with you that too many controlling interests probably did limit the quality of the final script.

4. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Too cooks... the writers are likely the last people to blame. Google Kevin Smith's Superman script stories to see exactly why, enjoy, and then maybe, just maybe, the whining can stop.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I do too. Then again, I really just like the robots. ;) 

THIS.

6. Molini

Molini spawn of a glitch

Sometimes yes, and sometimes no. If anyone has ever listened to Kevin Smith tell his famous "Superman" story about how he almost got to write the script for the most recent movie, then you will know how much influence the executive producer has on the finished product.

I have no idea how pervasive a situation such as this actually is amongst the movie industry, but there is clearly other powers contributing to the overall direction and influence of the finished product. Many writers tend to be loyal fans of projects with respect to comic heroes or cartoons turned movies, etc. and are usually so happy to be asked on board that they just succumb to whatever the executive team requests of them.

It must suck to work within those type of constraints knowing you couldn't exercise your full creative direction in the interest of the fans. At least there was no giant Mechanical Spider in TF: The Movie...unless we get a Black Arachnia for some reason (please don't).

7. Molini

Molini spawn of a glitch

Great minds think alike;) 

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I liked the movie, so I don't blame anyone for anything.

These thread titles go under the assumption that everyone is here thinking "god that movie was awful" and that we are all in agreement that someone is to blame.

9. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

This was a corporate product. It had so many little gressy hands in it trying to get what they wanted that I wouldn't even call the writers...well writers. They more like cooks making a gumbo of ideas...add alittle SPielberg, add a little bay, add a little Hasbro, add a little Paramount excs, add a little of the 100 other producers.

While its not my ideal Transformers movie, some people (not naming names) believe that some perfect artistic coroporate influence free version should have gotten made. WEll, lets be serious...it ain't gonna happen. We'll never get the 2001: Space Odessey or Big Lebowski like Transformers movie.

Too many conflicting interests and visions in a movie like this for a perfect version ever to get made.

10. rabbid1

rabbid1 Well-Known Member

First, I liked the movie. But it weren't perfect.
    While I agree that too many cooks can spoil the broth, they did in fact write it.

The script IS the blueprint for the film, and their names are all over it.

11. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Remember, the movie's plot was written mostly by John Rogers. Kurtzman and Orci cleaned it up more than anything.

12. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    And where is Rogers now?

13. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Didn't Rogers and Orci later say the final film was different to Roger's last draft (before he left the project)?

14. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

[​IMG]

15. samtheman

samtheman Well-Known Member

Bay was targeting everyone with his last movie. This may come as a shock but not everyone likes giant robots fighting. That is why some of the other things; crude humor, boy and car story line, love story, ect. where added. With these extras added in there will be more incentive for a broader range of people to see the movie and not just transfans.

16. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

Which came first the chicken or the egg?

17. TFfan08

TFfan08 Vigilante

News Credits:
    Its just a entertaining movie don't take too serious.

18. TFfan08

TFfan08 Vigilante

News Credits:
    Roger is gone,Its Ehren Kruger time now. :bay 

19. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    good discussion, some good points made - as well as some terrible ones.

20. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I haven't read all posts in this thread, but ah heck, just want to give you my two cents:

people often seem to forget that making a movie takes alot of different people and disciplines. Then there's investors, companies, that all want to have a say.

A lot of times a good movie (or videogame!) is compromised because there are just too many people that have their hands in it, some might even be people that have absolutely no idea what franchise or plot they are dealing with but still have some sort of veto-right that weighs more than the opinion of people who know what they are doing.

I'm sure there are lots of examples to be found for this movie, but a good one definitely is the fact that people had to be convinced the Transformers would actually talk! Now how silly is that?

So I can't say all is to be blamed on storywriters of a movie (but I don't want to clear them from any blame either), there's just alot of factors to hold in account.

Remember, most movies aren't made by ******ed chimpanzees, but by intelligent people like you and I. Compromising is where a movie goes wrong.