Can transformers trans even damaged?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by General Magnus, Dec 14, 2010.

1. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Let´s say a car transformers gets a tire or a wheel blown up during battle. Can he transform and make use of his alt mode or does he ash to repair itself?

Also do transformers self repair this kinda of damage (one wheel/wing blown off) or dot hey have to be repaired with spare parts?

EDIT: dammit wrong title.

2. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I think it varies from continuity to continuity along with obvious sparadoic writers ideas.

I like to think "medical" robots have a purpose i.e Ratchet and if a Transformer is injured he can't function properly.

3. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I have vague memories of TF transforming when damaged. Didn't Bumblebee change his own flat tire in the cartoon?
    On a more extreme level there was an example in the Marvel comics of a TF transforming when badly injured (he was trying to go to tank mode to defend himself with his big gun) and it was very painful. It's probably not worth the risk in that situation as there's always the likelyhood of getting stuck mid-transformation, pain data feedback overload sending them into stasis or, worst case scenario, it could kill them outright.

But if it's just a tire or wheel blown off or damaged I'd say they could still transform but that part of them would be as useful/useless as if it had happened to a normal non-TF vehicle.

I think structural self-repair systems have kinda taken some of the fun out of a TF getting injured. Could they grow a new tire or entire wing instead of using spare parts? Dunno. Probably could just steal a wheel from a nearby human vehicle though and adapt it or themselves to use that until a proper repair can be made or correct replacement found. BayFormers apparently grow bullets and other solid weapon shells from their own bodies and replenish the material from other sources around them, so if enough material was around I could imagine a TF using it to grow an entire new part.

4. SoundBlaster7

SoundBlaster7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remember the seekers stealing jet parts to repair themselves in the G1 cartoon.

5. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Bayformers always seemde to have some sort of fast repair mechanism. Look how quick Starscream got his arm attached and how Prime broke Megatron´s legs and Megs recovered soon after.

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    If we think of transforming like flexing a muscle or moving one's body into a new position, then yes, they could transform while damaged, but like moving while injured, it would be painful and possibly a lot harder to do. If they transform and they're missing something in robot mode, they'd likely be missing the same part in alt mode. So a seeker probably couldn't fly in jet mode after having a wing shot off, but an autobot might be able to limp home in car mode after losing a wheel.

7. snkeyes069

snkeyes069 Legend in his own mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think there's two ways to fix a Transformer:

1) External repairs: Re-attach an arm, swap out a bent wing, get surgical repairs such as welding a leg back together, use a CR chamber. All these are "quick" fixes.

2) Internal repairs: Essentially, healing. This can fix damaged circuits, repair a blown tire, get a damaged power supply back up and running, heal scars from external repairs. As long as the damaged part is still present, it can heal. So, no spontaneous regeneration for the loss of an arm, but a reattached arm could fix itself. These repairs would be slow, taking days, weeks or months depending on severity.

8. SoundBlaster7

SoundBlaster7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just remembered City of Steel episode, Prime transformed while he was still missing his right arm.

9. MenasorMaster

MenasorMaster Stunticon Warrior

Yes they can. The intresting question is what happens if they loose those parts, i dont think they can use spare parts from humans, how should they in interact during the transformation ??

10. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They can use human-made parts. As mentioned above, the seekers were taking wings from human-made jets in a G1 episode.

11. MenasorMaster

MenasorMaster Stunticon Warrior

in g1, yes. The g1 transformers arent as complex as movieverse ones.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    In G1 we saw the Autobots transform damaged. BW TFs would often transform wounded. I think it just depends on the extent of the damage.

13. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Yes with Spikes help.

14. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I was thinking about this the other day. It seems to be really troublesome for the Bayformers :lol  They have so many small loose parts..and it is sort of implied alot of it grows back on (just like how they scan forms on their own and grow parts..nanotech I guess), but still, sometimes they just seem to have to grow back alot of big parts.

Like how in ROTF in the forest scene Ratchet is shot on his shoulder and that part falls off. When he arrives at the base in altmode he's whole again. Seems like an awful big chunk to either just put back on or regrow..and too specialized to replace...

15. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    in my opinion it would depend on the location and severity of the damage. a blown tire would not be much of a hindrance at all but having an important joint needed to shift forms damaged could be.

16. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Autobot Strategist

Don't forget in the '86 movie, Prime had both his front tires blown out and effortlessly transformed.

Mainly posted that because I know you'll all picture it.

17. dsprks75

dsprks75 Well-Known Member

I don't know if this is just dumb nitpicky "movie" stuff, but in Bayformers 2, Jetfire was loosing parts just by walking around, but seem to still be able to function... Also at the end, the desert fight between Ravage and Bumblebee, Ravage jumped on Bee and started to "shred" a bunch of his yellow car parts off, but later you see him in his alt mode and he was fine.

And does anyone else notice that in 'bot modes, the car parts like the fenders or hoods or the back of their car modes are all scratched up and have that blackened battle damaged look, but in alt mode they have that "right out of the showroom" look?

18. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

That's funny. Don't remember the tires being hit. Need to watch the Movie again. :D 

19. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I thought I saw the battle scratches explained some place as holo-projection handwaving so that someone doesn't notice the most beat up brand new car ever.

That and I don't think that GM would be happy to have all of their pretty cars look chewed up when they're sponsoring the movie to a certain extent.

20. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Spike was probably just trying to be helpful. I'd imagine that part of a TF's basic survial training would include being able to change their own tires when alone. Not that I have any proof of this or intend to go find any if demanded.