Can transformers be considered living things?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Blackout2505, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Blackout2505

Blackout2505 Well-Known Member

Ever since g1 we seen transformers are fully self aware and have emotions of their own and are able to reason even though they are robots.

If humans ever make a sentient transformer/robot would you think it deserves human rights? Personally I wouldn't mind, I would think of it as a human with a metal body.

What do you guys think?

2. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Transformers can be considered living things in many respects due to how they follow many criteria of living things. They absorb, store, and use energy. They spread their influence through reprodoucing and travelling. They react to external stimuli. They age. They die, etc.

As for your question of humans building robots that advanced, I doubt we will be able to create a robot that fills out as many of the criteria of life as the Transformers. If we DO, it all depends on just how human it is. Some things pass over into the realm of creepy, like androids.

3. LadyK

LadyK likes to lurk...

Creepy living things deserve their rights, too, though.

If and when we do make robots that advanced, I certainly hope we give 'em rights ASAP, though...last thing we'd want is cold steel robots rebelling against us squishy humans...>>;

4. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Haha, something tells me you watched Animatrix, Renaissance Parts 1&2.

Personally, the biggest thing they did to convince me that Transformers were sentient living things was the concept of sparks. Call me religious, but the sparks resemble souls, and and a being with a soul is my definition of sentient, living beings that deserve rights.

5. Echnalaid

Echnalaid Watermelons?

Ebay:
    A real robot, no.
    A Transformer from the fiction? Yes. All Transformers have Sparks, which is in essence their soul. A robot without a spark is just a robot.

6. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Humans creating robots? Can someone say Skynet?

7. LadyK

LadyK likes to lurk...

Actually, I think I've only seen clips of Animatrix. I just tend to get in a sci-fi mindset around this board...I'm usually more of a fantasy kinda person. Shh. XD

8. ComicGuy89

News Credits:
    Hey that's pretty cool, I'm also mostly a fantasy person, except for a select few sci-fi series such as Star Trek, Star Wars and Transformers. Even then, these would probably be classified as science fantasy as they share similar motifs with fantasy.

On topic, I simply love the idea of sparks. Probably the best thing Beast Wars did, (besides introducing animal modes).

Sparks give a more spiritual side to the TFs, otherwise they'll just be any other robot whose death would be rather insignificant.

9. LadyK

LadyK likes to lurk...

Huh, I must not've been paying enough attention watching the first few episodes of Geewun...I grew up with Beast Wars, though I'd only watch it 'cause Reboot was on next back then (it's just a bit sad that I remember the TV schedules of my childhood), so I just kinda assumed that was always in place.

Kinda makes me wonder what they'll add in future incarnations of TF.

10. blunghole

blunghole The Tapeworm of Unicron!

News Credits:
    As far as man made robots go, I don't think that we will see a machine we can consider as "alive" in any of our lifetimes. Ever? Probably. Humans are pretty crafty, and I think that as technology advances the line between alive and automaton will become very blurred. Would it deserve rights? Definitely.

As far as Transformers, I really don't consider them robots. I instead think of them as robot-like alien lifeforms.

11. ComicGuy89

News Credits:
    You took those words right outta my mouth! I couldn't think of a good term to describe them, this is perfect!

12. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Of course Transformers are real. They live in our hearts and minds. Transformers have Sparks or Embers maybe even a Laser Core. They are living feeling beings. but to assign them "Human Rights" would be egocentrical on our part at best if not down right hubris at worst.

13. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Star Trek the Next Generation did a whole episode on this concept. All about if Data was alive & deserved rights or was he just a piece of machinery that Starfleet could own & take apart when they wanted to.

14. Cascadia

Cascadia Ion Storm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There is a whole book on this topic and it became a very interesting. It is entitled Transformers and Philosophy.

15. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Er, yeah. That's kind of the whole point of the concept: that they're living beings.
    I'm going to have to ask you to point to someone's soul on an anatomy chart before I can accept this argument.

16. Autobot_Wall-E

Autobot_Wall-E The Musical

What do you mean? Toys are alive they roam your house at night while you're sleeping. And of course aliens are alive!

17. Blackout2505

Blackout2505 Well-Known Member

In movies we seen many types of sentient robots. Take the terminator for example, he learned what it means to be human. When he died in T2 it was a sad scene =(. a lot of people say sentient robots don't deserve rights because they are made of metal which I think its stupid

18. Attacker_Prime

Attacker_Prime Optimus Prime forever

Transformers are sentient beings, and that because of the spark. The spark acts as both the soul and the heart of transformers. They can reason, they can think for themselves, they cherish life. That's what defines a sentient being. Transformers without sparks are drones and are used for many purposes on Cybertron. As for humans building robots... I don't see that coming. What if ROBOTS built US? Now that's more likely.

19. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

G1 Transformers don't have sparks. Are they drones?

20. Attacker_Prime

Attacker_Prime Optimus Prime forever

Did you look into their chests to see if they have one or not? Plus it is stated in BW that G1 Transformers had sparks, and BW is G1 in the future.