Can They Even Be Called "Action Figures" Anymore?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Reaper Cloud, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Reaper Cloud

Reaper Cloud Dark Wrecker

News Credits:
    After reading posts here for a while now, say a few months at least...I've come to the conclusion that most of the members here DO NOT play with their Transformers in any way/shape/form. Sure, they did when they were younger, but back then they didn't have a collector's mentality.

Now, most collectors are more interested in how much pose-ability that figure has...or how accurate it is to the animated model. They slam the figure for this or that reason, yet they don't realize that the bottom line for every Transformer is simply this:

IT IS A TOY!

IT IS MEANT FOR KIDS!

IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE PLAYED WITH!

Can you image going back in time, and pretending to be an "Uncle" of your Dad's while visiting yourself in child-form. I'm pretty sure that your younger version would be disgusted with how you would act with his (and in a sense, your) toys. Hearing you complain about the lack of pose-ability, or that you got rid of the box! Or that you even TOOK the toy OUT of the box! Yeah, some of you need to just relax and enjoy these TOYS instead of treating them like some one-in-a-billion super rare item worth TRILLIONS of dollars. -_-

I think that the name "Posing Figures" needs to be implemented to toys these days. Especially those toys that have an Adult collector focus toward them. Kids in this generation have too many electronic devices to play with...so I can't imagine too many of them actually playing with figures these days. I barely ever see a small child in the Toy section, and sadly...it's the Adult collectors that I see the most. My five year old Nephew has some toys, mostly Batman or other types of figures...but he is also into video games and computer related games. So by the time that he's ten...I doubt that he'll be into figures like most of us still were back in the day. Although he does PLAY with the toys that he has, and doesn't just POSE them on a shelf.

I guess this whole rant about people buying Transformers just to pose them in whatever stance that they desire and leaving it on a shelf for years...without ever playing with said toy, is similar to the gun collector who buys a gun and NEVER shoots it. They just leave it in a display case to stare at it. At least they don't complain about the lack of posing said gun in its case though. lol

2. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I don't understand. Kids toys shouldn't be called action figures because adults don't play with them?

3. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Thanks, I've been looking for someone to tell me how I should enjoy my collection. I was totally lost on my own! :rolleyes: 

4. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nothing wrong with adult collectors or adult collectors expressing what they want in a figure.

But like you, I get irked by adult collectors not being able to recognize that they aren't the mass target for most of what they buy and then get peeved themselves for the mothership not catering to their every whim.

5. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Vote with your wallet.

6. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    To each his own I guess, but IMO I see kind of the opposite. I'm one of the collectors you speak of: I usually will buy a figure, transform it a few times to my liking, and then display it. In contrast I have a lot of collector friends that "play" with their figures by always taking photos of them, making comic strips, or simply fiddling with them.

I really don't think the mentality of simply displaying your figures should be looked down on. The reality of many collector's lives is that we have other responsibilities to handle and we can't be on the floor recreating action scenes any more. We're also older, better educated, etc. than our 5 year old selves, so why wouldn't our tastes be expanded on either? Poseability didn't mean shit to me when I was 5, but it does not because my needs for the figure have evolved. I take photos of my figures, I want a dynamic pose.

It's just how things evolve IMO. It shouldn't be viewed as a bad thing because all of us, and I really mean ALL of us, probably still have the kid in us that will play with our figures for a brief second. It's just life changes and brings new things.

7. OmegaSupreme235

OmegaSupreme235 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm a MISB Collector but.................... I do play with the toys that are out of the box and have alot of fun! Me and my daughter have been playing with the cyberverse prime with the dotm Ark for weeks it never gets old. Cyberverse Prime line has so much playability.

Listen its your collection do what you want with it, Aslong as the collector enjoys it who really cares or needs to judge.

8. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Someone's been watching a liiiiiiiiiiittle too much Toy Story lately...

9. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I totally play with my stuff. I also pose, set up scenes, take photos, daydream battles, and just generally love the stuff. I also play with my little guy, who loves my TF toys.

10. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Same here.

As long as they are produced for kids and kids-at-heart, they will continue to be called action figures.

11. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    Have Transformers ever been Action Figures? I think the Action masters were, but that's it. The rest of the Transformers are toys as the OP goes on to say, and toys have been collected by adults for decades now, this is hardly a new thing.

In fact, Citizen Kane - arguably the most critically acclaimed film of all time (after ROTF of course) - is about a dying mans affection for a childhood plaything.

12. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

While I agree with your sentiments that people do need to realize that these are kids toys first and foremost, I don't understand the issue with why you want to change a vastly generic term such as "Action figure" because you don't think kids play with toys as much anymore. I don't know where your logic comes from, but it's obviously incorrect as the success of the first two movie toylines prove these toys are going to kids, because TF Collectors did NOT provide anything close to a majority of those toy sales. And using your 5-year-old nephew as the one source of evidence is also weak, as he probably cares more about having fun with the figures rather than displaying them and keeping them in good condition. They go in the toybox/bin with everything else.

Plus, considering the state of some toys from years ago, actually "playing" with them would in effect destroy them. I am of course talking about GPS figures like G2 Electro, Transmetal Megatron, etc, but a good number of older figures don't hold up as well over time and they're better off on display, like old figures who develop unfixable loose joints.

Additionally, you're trying to use how people behave now in comparison to what those same people would have thought of then. The problem is that this is hindsight, and hindsight is always 20/20. Lack of articulation? That was the BEST they could do with 80's toy tech back then, maybe even older since the majority of G1 TF's were recycled molds from two separate lines. Getting rid of the Box? Nobody cared about the box outside of the Tech Spec gimmick. It was just disposable packaging.

13. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The term "action figure" IMHO, simply refers to a toy in an "action pose", it doesn't even necessarily have to have articulation. It is also a term that retailers use to place them in their "action figure" aisle.

In a way, I get what you are saying OP, but pay closer attention to the posts on this board. There are many different facets to collecting transformers. All have their merits, while we may not like all of them. For instance, the MISB collector vs. the loose collector debate. Neither is right or wrong. We all collect for different reasons and it is the right of the collector to do what they wish with said "action figures". Heck, some on here don't even collect the toys as they just like the comics, or video games, or movies, etc.

What always makes me laugh is the topics that people post when they ask, "where do you put XXXX in your collection?" People seem to care too much how other people arrange and organize their "classics" collection or "movie" collection and which figures fit a certain aesthetic, etc. When I get asked these questions I say, "I put it in my "Transformer" collection :lol  but its all part of the fun of collecting.

14. TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You know the saying. "Opinions are like aholes. Everyone has one and most of them stink"

15. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    I know that as a kid I was bummed my G1 Jazz could not move much besides the arms. Or how Powermaster Optimus Prime could not hold his riffle upwards unless I turned it to the side.

I played the hell out of my BW figures, however. All are intact today, but their joints are extremely loose.

16. MPrime10

MPrime10 Boomsticks.

So I'm the only one here who "plays" with the figures?

17. indie

indie Guns! More guns!

Poseability is required by adult collectors because it triples the fun they get out of them. Every Tf community have a long cool poses thread and we like to take photos of them, reenacting the scenes we saw on screen or we imagine on our own. That's one of those things that seperates them from stamp or rock collectors. We don't just simply look, but also interact with our collection. At least, we like keeping the option to interact, even we don't touch the figures for years.

For kid's play, kids don't "pose" action figures. They crash them into eachother, crash them into floor, and if they bother to transform them, drive them in the floor only to crash them into something again. That is the kid's play. And if they don't, then they should be counted as a part of adult collector fanbase regardless of their age.

18. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Adults don't feel the urge to play like kids. So it is quite normal that adult collectors only pose their toys.

I often think it would be actually cool to play around with the toys. But at the same time I never really want to. It's not the same like when you are a kid and your toys are the greatest thing you have or when you're an adult and have past this stage of development a long time ago.

You can imagine that it could be cool, but that's it.

It would be different if I still was a kid. But it is as it is and I think that's quite normal.

Sometimes I think, when I have a lot of time and nothing to do, I just try it. But there are mostly other things that I have to do or that I want to do more and so I enjoy them mostly everytime I go to bed by looking at the shelves for a few minutes admiring them or transforming them once in a while and maybe drive/fly them around a short period.

I never crashed anything as a kid. That damages the toys and gives them scratches. I never wanted my toys to look like fuck and like the toys of the other dumb kids. That's why I also never gave my toys to other kids, because they treated their toys like shit. Most of my childhood toys still look like new.

I think the term originated probably in a time where they needed to differentiate those figures from girls dolls as toys for boys. Action actually refers more to "manliness" and not what the figure does or how it is meant to be dealt with. Even a Batman that has no articulation at all and could be considered a statue would be an action figure.

19. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I thought everyone here plays with their Transformers. Huh . . . .

Oh well, it doesn't bother me in the least that I play with mine.

To the rest of you I say:

PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW!

KA-BOOOOOOOM!

CHOK-CHA-CHOK-CHA-CHIK!

"Die, Autobots!"

"Never, Decepticons!"

PEW PEW PEW PEW

BOOM!

20. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Add me to the list of people who play with their toys. If I wasn't going to do anything with them, I wouldn't even still be buying them.