Can the Transformers franchise survive?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Danielhero1998, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Dmhead

Dmhead Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Back to the topic about this franchise survival: TF6 and BB will undergo lots of reshoots when they are done filming. Paramount are beginning to panick right now and it's almost the same situation with DC last year. Bayverse will wrap up after TF6, so unfortunately we have endure one more Bayformers before they reboot the franchise.

2. autobotsrollout

autobotsrollout Well-Known Member

Is that even what happens in the bayverse? They effed up that story line pretty bad and didnt do a great job of explaining it. I mean if there were movie books or comics that explain it then I'd love to hear what was up with the matrix in ROTF.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Watching The Last Knight drop off the radar of everyone but the Transformers fans so quickly I'm thinking the live action movies might be doomed. It was hard to sell the Bayformers this time how much harder would it be to sell it again? I also can't think of a time recently when Paramount went for really big change to save the day. GI Joe 2 had to keep GI Joe 1 to soft reboot it's way to bombing. Turtles kept Megan Fox all the way to a box office bomb. Heck Paramount couldn't even bother to tap the nostalgia of a big anniversary for Star Trek to get the Trekkies excited again.

Also the more I think about what the Bumblebee movie is going to be up against at the box office, the pessimist in me thinks the film could take a real beating at the box office.

With Monster Truck, Ghost in the Shell, and Baywatch all bombing because Paramount can't seem to figure out what people want I just don't see how things will ever get better as long as they have people in charge that are going to say we know what people want more than they do and screw nostalgia if you want nostalgia go watch something from another studio.

• Like Like x 3
  4. francesco92

francesco92 Well-Known Member

Again you talk like there's some universal rules... you don't even know what are my reasons to not like Star Wars or Marvel movies.

5. autobotsrollout

autobotsrollout Well-Known Member

do share..... what are your reasons?

6. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Honestly... in it's current state, no it can't.

I just got back from Spiderman: Homecoming. In the last few weeks I've rewatched Captain America: Civil War and Dr. Strange. I'm reading about the Avengers: Infinity War trailer shown today at D23. Marvel has completely changed the definition of blockbuster movies, and when it comes to mixing action, comedy, and CHARACTERS, no one has them beat. You've got the Fast & Furious franchise, movies like Deadpool and Logan, etc. out there too, by directors and writers who've adapted to the new way of doing things.

The point I'm making is that the blockbusters that are failing, like The Last Knight, are the ones that are resting on their laurels and assuming that audiences want the "same ol', same ol'." This is why the The Last Knight failed. Michael Bay made the same movie he's made over and over and over. And what's worse, he didn't even make it interesting. 10-15 years ago Michael Bay was able to make popular movies. Marvel has pushed a new style to the forefront, and Bay does not have the chops to keep up.

• Like Like x 5
  7. JazzIsBack

JazzIsBack Well-Known Member

As long as they can finish out with 6 I think that'll been enough

8. francesco92

francesco92 Well-Known Member

If you insist. I find Marvel movies to be way too childlish for my taste, especially when it comes to humour. I absolutely can't stand the way Marvel sacrifices badass action and epicness for child humour. For Marvel movies, the priority is making lame jokes that people can turn into memes so they turned every single character into a Big Jim funny guy even when he's not supposed to be that at all. Take my favorite Marvel character Thor: in the comics he is the most powerful and badass Marvel superhero always yelling epic phrases like "Have at thee" "The son of Odin stands triumphant" "For Odin and For Asgard", in the movies he is a phony clown whome nobody take seriously. Now you will probably say that even Bayformers have lame jokes and it is true, especially from characters like Wheelie and Simmons. But Bayformers, at least until TLK, never missed the opportunity to give us epic action, badass fights and plenty of ass-kicking moments for Optimus Prime, Bumblebee and to a lesser extent the other Autobots. That's why I watched Bayformers gladly: for the badass action scenes that are always sacrificed for the humour in Marvel movies. In Transformers, the enemy is defeated after a sense-shattering Mortal Kombat-like match, in guardians of the galaxy the villain is defeated with a disco dance and in Ant-Man with a toy train. Not to mention Loki in The Avengers who is given a slapstick Looney Tunes threatment. And people complained about Megatron being underpowered? That's nothing compared to Loki's fate.

Have you watched Man of Steel? That's my kind of superhero movie: they showed Superman in all his glory, his fight scenes with the Kryptonians were stunning, like gods who fight among mortals for real.

And it is not just action: everything is sacrificed in the name of humour for Marvel. Iron Man have always been characterized by his drinking and lust problems but in the movies they never mentioned this fatal weakness of him because they wanted him to be a good hero for children. And so they turned an interesting and complex character into the avarage "cool guy". Loki in Thor 2 died (yes I know he did not died for real..).. and the gags immediatly restart. At least when Ironhide died in DOTM, Bay did not cut immediatly to funny scenes, he stood on the tragic moment to make us feel the misery of the Autobots for being betrayed by one of their own. In Marvel it is all sugar-coated. You can barely despare at all because they immediatly cut to gags again.

As for Star Wars: I am among those who loved the prequel trilogy, the expanded universe ecc.. and never could stand the nostalgia fanboys who bashed everything who was not the theatrical versions of Episode IV-VI. The way Disney just copy carboned the old trilogy to appeal to nostalgia fanboys is disappointing. At least for me. I don't see how could you say the same for Bayformers. Bayformers never tried to be like G1 or any other series, they are their own thing and it works that way.

As unpopular as my opinion is, this is it.

• Like Like x 2