Can the Transformers franchise survive?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Danielhero1998, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Danielhero1998

Danielhero1998 Autobots, transform and roll out

So The Last Knight isn`t doing well at the box office, and will most likely not make it to $1 billion worldwide at the box office (like TF3 and TF4).

Do you guys think there is a chance of this franchise to survive an underperformance (with the Bumblebee spin-off and TF6 moving on as planed) or will Paramount scrap the entire thing and either start again with a reboot or never touch the Transformers franchise again?

• Like Like x 1
  2. BarricadeLives

BarricadeLives i'm you! i'm your shadow!

i doubt they'd scrap the entire thing but ive seen suits do dumber things

the transformers franchise will survive, either with paramount or without them

just hope disney doesn't get em..i know it's an unpopular opinion & i hate to be contrarian but i have not liked disney's marvel or star wars...credit for them actually doing something with the properties, unlike the disaster that is fox but that doesn't mean i gotta like em

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 9
  3. FoolishDoomedCreature

FoolishDoomedCreature When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die.

The film series based on a toy franchise, or the toy franchise?

4. Chris James

Chris James Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They've got to put out quality films. All throughout the promotion of TLK I said this series could not survive another ROTF/AOE review disaster and they proceed to put out a film that got the worst reviews of the series.

If they can put out a film that gets a decent reception things will start to tick up but unfortunately I think the damage may be already too severe. The first step is getting Bay the hell away from directing any more movies.

I really do have faith in the Bee spinoff, but hypothetically if it gets anywhere close to the reviews of TLK, you can kiss the Bayverse bye bye.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Niv3k

Niv3k 'Fe Li Na'

News Credits:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Yes, but changes have to be made sooner rather than later. I hope the Bumblebee movie delivers this.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    The Last Knight has dug a very deep hole, I'm not sure they can (or should) try to get out of it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    It can survive TLK flopping but if the Bumblebee movie flops they'll definitely call it a day on these movies. As has been said several times now, they need quality over anything else at this point to survive. TLK proves that they don't give a damn about story and continuity as much as they do just using bits of lore and putting some stupid spin on it to lure TF fans for the cash grab. Then bring in Bay who can put butts in seats for the action alone for the cash grab. Except this time it didn't work. When the last 3 years in between this film and AOE have had scores of films that are far superior and far more publicly/critically accepted, as well as pushing their stories to amazing heights, you really have to put some good old tlc into what you're trying to do or you will fall flat. Hasbro/Paramount/Bay couldn't deliver. They couldn't be bothered to deliver. And this is the price they're paying for it.

• Like Like x 7
  8. Danielhero1998

Danielhero1998 Autobots, transform and roll out

The film series.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan Gotta get to sleep somehow...

News Credits:
    They've just gotta dig themselves out!

10. FoolishDoomedCreature

I'd say it depends on the Bee movie.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  12. sideswipe3

sideswipe3 Well-Known Member

Are we talking about transformers in general, not just the movies? If so I think it might be similar to what Toho did with Godzilla. They saw movies weren't doing as well in the box office so they took a long break. But now they are back and everybody seems to be loving them. I think Hasbro might do that since they don't really have a transformer cartoon that a lot of people like.

13. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think we need a 'complete' reboot and I don't want Disney to take over because they're going to give us more 'lame' villains and give it a 'female' push to appeal it to the female demographic.

My sentiments exactly. The Bee movie is their last chance. If that movie fails, we can call it a day for the movie franchise.

I get no pleasure from the failure of the series but I do get a satisfaction of laying it on Bay's head. Especially if reports years ago had he insisting that the movies are based on him alone?

There's only so much a dedicated fanbase can take, let alone a general audience.

Just think about it - 10 years and 5 movies and they still can't get the 'formula' right.

It's definitely not franchise fatigue because if it were so, the Marvel movies would be drawing so much monies.

The issue has always been getting the right personnel for the job. Someone who appreciates the lore, concepts and mythos.

Instead we got someone who also views the Transformers as props.

Can anyone imagine that in this movie the flag bearer, Optimus Prime had so little screen time and didn't have a transforming sequence at all?

Its so patronizing of Bay or the studio to think they can get away with this movie.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As we approach an age of extinction (;) ), only Bumblebee, the most disliked transfomer by the fans, can save us now.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Sixshot93

Sixshot93 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ugh.

People - GO. WATCH. FILMS. AND. JUDGE. FOR. YOURSELVES. STOP LETTING THE CORPORATE MAINSTREAM MEDIA BRAINWASH YOU AND PUT YOU OFF! F**K THE MAINSTREAM MEDIA. F**K THE CRITICS.

• Like Like x 5
  16. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    ..Except we live in a day and age where the main stream media is more prevalent than ever before. Advancing in technology has allowed us to have information be available by the quickness of a simple swipe or tap. That said I, and a lot of others on here who have been fans of the movies, have spent the time and money to observe this movie. I hate the conclusion I arrived to, especially when it hit the first time, that I just can't get with what they've dished out this time. I've loved all the previous films but this one is a vast disappointment and many others are agreeing. This isn't herd mentality anymore. This film is objectively bad on a level that even fans of these films can't bare. If you find enjoyment out of it? Good for you but don't shame the rest of us on it. It must suck to see, what is without doubt, the most negativity surrounding any tf film since ROTF, or even ever...but that says far more about the film itself than the people judging it.

• Like Like x 12
  17. Chris James

Chris James Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The franchise is in the exact same place the DCEU was going into this year. Two prior to films were critical bombs and their two upcoming films were a spinoff and a flagship movie.

I've devised a basic 3 point plan which is key to this current franchise's survival.

1. The Bee movie has to be a quality film. It has to be a movie which the majority opinion is "that was a charming, or at least well done and fun tale. It doesn't have to be the greatest film ever, it just has to be good or at very least component.

2. The Bee movie has to succeed at the box office. It's difficult to currently tell what would count as a success for this movie given how it's unclear how big the scale is going to be. But based on a guesstimation, I think anything north of 400 million total would be decent earnings.

3. Bay CAN NOT come back to direct TF6. I've never been adamant about Bay coming back or not but I am now because while I'd like for him to hit a home run with the franchise, in 3 outta his last 4 attempts he's made films which many online film junkies regard as the worst films of all-time and he finally made a TF film that was a domestic bomb. Regardless of how TF6 turns out, their will be a positive vibe going in just because Bay isn't directing.

• Like Like x 7
  18. FoolishDoomedCreature

Except they were all high-grossing movies and one won an Oscar, while TLK is considered a "flop" and this sereis is a laughing sock at the nerd community.

• Like Like x 1
  19. IronTik

IronTik Member

Even if this thing only makes 500 Mil, I think it will be considered a success.
    It needs a new direction however and I'm SURE it's going to get it.

DC is a perfect example, while yes BvS made decent money it didn't crack a billion and was considered a failure by the studio(after a 400mil budget without advertising money)
    however they rebooted a bit, changed the feel of the films, and now Suicide Squad and even more so Wonder Woman have been gigantic successes for the money put in.

I think a similar thing will happen here, where a feel for the film will change, and we will keep getting movies.

• Like Like x 2
  20. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    Well we're on a forum so any reply to a thread given is subject to a response. Ive seen your responses and this is the first time I'm replying to you so I'm not trying to be on you, per say. But this recent post of yours comes off like those of us who aren't satisfied with what we got aren't forming our own opinions. I understand to each their own, but I just wanted to give insight into why this film is being ripped apart everywhere. I was one of those ready to defend this film with everything like the other films but tis not the case this time.

• Like Like x 1