Can the toys be engineered to...

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Nightrain, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    ...have little parts switch around while transforming? By far my favorite scene in the trailer is Optimus. I love seeing all the little parts shift together in his helmet. If that's a taste of what's to come, we will see some truly fantastic visual effects.

I can't really think of a feasible way of putting those effects in toys, other than having a few spring loaded parts that stay locked in vehicle form, then release and slide while transforming. It sounds clumsy and probably a bitch to engineer, but I would love to play with something like that. It would truly add a new dynamic to the whole idea.

I wouldn't be shocked if Takara worked on something like that.

2. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think our best hope is that $80 "Ultimate" toy that showed up in computer listings a while ago. It does sound like a great new idea though.

3. Evan Goldsborough

Evan Goldsborough Freelance Negotiator

The tech is probably there to do it, yeah.

The problem is that, if they'd want to make it EXACTLY as it was in the trailer, they'd have to make it AT LEAST three or four feet tall to achieve the effect. That would make for a damning expensive toy.

I'm doubting the head will have anything near that level of detail in ANY of the toys. Remember, the $80 figure is only about the same price as the domestic release of Masterpiece Prime.

4. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

Welcome back to 1984, when the toys can't even come close to living up to their onscreen counterparts :wink: 

5. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

They COULD probably do it actually, but it would be to cost prohibitive to produce.

6. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Though I do admit that spring loaded 'auto-transforming' would be cool, it's not really needed. If that 80 figure is the size of, or even bigger then, MP prime it *could* have some semblence of detail in the head transformation. At the very least some panels will slide out of the way so the head can squish itself closed.

Either way I hoper the higher price point figures share a much closer resemblence, and have a much higher quality standard, then the concepts we've seen so far.

7. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

Agreed. It would be a damn shame not to be able to own a Transformer figure that does these robots - and their transformations - justice.

8. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

I'd like them to be like the Cybertron toys, those things transform a lot like the cartoon.

Just from the preliminaries, the complete transformations will be complicated.

9. wavelength

wavelength Well-Known Member

this is probaly something for studio halfeye to do

10. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

yea they did, prowl looks like prowl, optimus prime looks like optimus prime, and megatron looks like megatron, how much closer did they need to be? in 1984, they were the closest they would be until energon came out. now, after the movie on other hand is another story, but before the movie in 1984, they're still really close to the show.some changed a little here and there but not by much.

11. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Actually, there were pretty massive liberties taken with Prime and especially with Megatron. They just seem accurate compared to Ironhide, Ratchet, and some of the minibots. The regular Autobot cars were generally pretty accurate though.

12. Heat Guy

Heat Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It'd be nice, but way expensive.

13. Corbet

Corbet Wanderer

If they actually make a $80 toy - mark my words - it will be clearanced within 6 months.

No parent would get their kid it, it would really only be for collectors. And think about it, every $50 toy was clearanced.

14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Whatever happened to the "Transformers Movie Authentic Figures" that showed up in the patent office not long ago?

15. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

comparing the toys to the show, though they are not that much different. even iron hide if he just had a head, is pretty simular to the show counter part. some of the toys, actually look better in toy form too, then in show form. especially fortress maximus. how ever movie metroplex AKA autobot city looked way cooler then the toy.

how ever it is still fun.

and in the end, isn't that all that really matters? that the toy is fun?

optimus prime is fun, megatron is fun, even ironhide and rodimus brick man are fun. even with the minibot inferiorities over the gobots, were still fun.

in the end i believe that the toys for the movie will actually look better, just like in my opinion most of G1 does, then the movie verisons.

16. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Sure they're fun. In fact, I'm a fan of the toys before I'm a fan of the show or the comics. I think the point that was being made though is that we didn't have nearly the kind of toy accuracy in the show that we tend to get nowadays. Proportions were changed, kibble mysteriously vanished, head sculpts were entirely different (or added to begin with), etc. Ever since RiD and Armada, we've had near perfect accuracy between toy and screen incarnations. With the movie, we'll be going back to that not being the case. I think it was also a jab at the people who want the movie designs to be more like G1 :) 

17. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can almost visualize a PerfectGrade 1:10 Movie Prime model kit. I've built a PerfectGrade RX-78 once and it was too much fun. A Transformer one would be amazing.

18. Weremole

Weremole Whack-a-mole Avenger

Nothing, still there. But as the price class states these guys is very unlikely to transform.

If Studio Halfeye can do a fully transforming Getter Robo they can engineer a working Bumblebee. But even that wouldn't be close to the elaborate cg models.

It would require parts thin as flakes or plastic shavings. 0_o Physics people.

We'll probably get the grand transformation of one of these guys but never 100% accurate.

19. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

I'm looking foward to what this 80 price point has to offer.

20. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Yeah, it'd be nice to get a master grade version of at least one of the movie toys.

EDIT: Preferrably Prime.