Can spoilers be avoided?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by enkidoamark, May 25, 2009.

1. enkidoamark

enkidoamark Well-Known Member

Ok, Sorry if I'm rehashing an old topic, I'm new here. I wasn't on the boards before the first movie and I'm wondering if its possible to avoid spoilers on here as the new movie gets closer. Assuming that there's some chance that some surprise will be left after all of the trailers and TV spots, and its given away in either official tie-ins or leaked stuff, what's the chance I can hang out on the boards for the next month, avoiding everything that says SPOILERS!! and not have any remaining surprises ruined? If there's something really mind-blowing in the movie that we're not supposed to know (I don't know, grimlock shows up or something like that) I would love to be surprised when I see the movie.

2. Malikon

Malikon Well-Known Member

spoilers are impossible to ignore. Not everything will say *spoiler* and you never know when someone will go, "Prime DIES!" or something that you didn't get any warning of.

Revenge of the Sith got ruined for me that way. They're kind of unavoidable despite the good intentions of lots of people.

3. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Enkidu, I'm your pal Gilgamesh, please return to the palace!

Er.. I mean, i guess the site does everything it can to avoid posting major spoilers, but to be really really safe, I think the best thing is to avoid the forum for a while. Still, careful browsing should avoid any spoilers as long as the forum members take care in their thread titles.

4. enkidoamark

Well, heres the other thing. Was there anything in the first movie that was a big surprise? OMG! The autobots win! Never saw that coming. Is it really just who's there? If so, the toys are going to ruin that anyway. Is there an example of something really shocking in the first movie that you wouldn't have known just from the toys, the trailers and the TV spots?

5. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  6. enkidoamark

7. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    Between that and staying out of the Movie Forum you should be OK.

8. realCliffjumper

realCliffjumper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have avoided the movie thread section since that novelization came out and I was still spoiled a little. I plan on staying unspoiled, so I have to be careful when reading even the news section. Sorry guy, no way to avoid it. Though I am still trying to avoid them. Thusfar, I have only heard one spoiler from the novelization, and I already regret knowing it. :p 

9. StarSaber79

StarSaber79 Banned

News Credits:
    I didn't want to be spoiled by others so I am now reading the book.:eek: 

10. Scourgatron

Scourgatron What of it?

News Credits:
    reading spoilers wont ruin the movie one bit for me. I can visualize it in my head but the actual scenes will be ten times better that what I could come up with.

11. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    No, no they can't. At any time, any one poster can just drop the bomb.

"Ultra Magnus dies...."

12. Autobot_Wall-E

Autobot_Wall-E The Musical

one time in the general news section I accidentally said something someone didnt want to know. sometimes things just slip out without thinking about it.

13. Shockscream

Shockscream Chairman of Nerd Day

News Credits:
    Avoiding spoilers is possible. However, it will require you isolating yourself from any and all Transformers-related items -- websites, toys, books, games, magazines -- until after the release of Revenge of the Fallen. This is true:

As we are human, there is no way to completely stop ourselves from revealing some information. We are not to know what someone else knows. It is simply impossible. Additionally, what I define as a "spoiler" may differ from what you or Autobot_Wall-E defines as one (and hence the source of his trouble with the person being told something that they don't want to know).

For me, the spoilers on this site and any other that I come across in the course of my Internet scouring and reading (which includes the IDW prequels, The Veiled Threat, the IDW adaptation, and the novelisation when it comes tomorrow) do not ruin the movie experience. I agree with this:

How I see things is always different to how they appear on screen. Even re-reading the TF1 novelisation the other week I found myself imaging designs for the robots that differ from those that exist on the movie even though I have seen it dozens of times. I imagine different voices -- Starscream always sounds like Chris Latta to me when I read a TF novel and Megatron always sounds like Frank Welker. For me, seeing the scenes I imagined made manifest is a constant surprise and delight. They are always different.

14. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 'Civil' Nintendo Fanboy

News Credits:
    If you leave the Internet, then yes.
    But wait... It'll just keep on calling out to you.
    Once you join the Internet, you cannot leave.

15. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think it's just impossible any more for people to avoid spoilers given the way these mega event films are handled.

You never know when a trailer is going to show up on TV that gives away too much so not only can you not go to the movies you couldn't watch TV either if you didn't want to get spoiled by a trailer.

You can't go anywhere near the toys until after the film is released because toys give away far too much. All that work they did to cover up the alien thing in Indiana Jones 4 and it was Hasbro with the toys that let it out of the bag long before the film's release.

Comic books, novels and kids books before the film's release that you have to avoid.

And even if you managed to avoid the Transformers fan site you can never 100% be sure that you will not bump into a spoiler somewhere else.

Spoilers are just something you have to learn to live with if you are going to be a fan of the big movies. But then again like someone said is there really anything to spoil in most films these days. I mean it's not like you get an Empire Strikes Back or Deep Blue Sea holy crap shocker very often any more. Most big films now are fairly formulaic and predictable, sort of like it doesn't take a genius to figure out which side will win in the GI Joe movie.

16. cnic

cnic Decepticon

My thoughts exactly. Just wanted to add, unless you go into "Stasis Lock" from the time that the movie is starting production, until you go see it in the theaters, you will, some how, some way, be spoiled in one aspect or another.

17. Rhinox

Rhinox We bring surreal to life

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You've got about a month left. If you really want to remain spoiler free, I'd just relax and not jump on any of the boards till you've seen the movie.

Well done on remaining nonspoiled this long, though. Kudos to you.

18. enkidoamark

Well, I've seen the trailers and TV spots, I'm talking about big plot stuff that the producers are purposely saving for the actual viewing of the movie. Though, like I said before, I don't know if there's a lot of that going on in these movies anyway. Seems like Bay might think that the $9.50 we put down to see the movie just pays for the right to see the robots and explosions on a really big TV. :bay  That being said, there's no way in hell I'm waiting until the movie to buy the toys, though I may be able to avoid reading the bios. I think I'll just stick to the toy forum and the non-movie news for my boards fix and hope for the best. Thanks for the good discussion.

19. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Given that spoilers are almost impossible to avoid I think the trick these days is to turn it into something positive. Instead of thinking of spoilers as ruining a film I tend to see them as a taste of the film to get excited about the movie. A bit like cooking, a taste of the food doesn't ruin your meal it just lets you know where the flavor of the meal is headed.

20. phreakybot

phreakybot Well-Known Member

spoilers have never bothered me. reading about it is one thing... seeing it on the big screen is completely different.

I went and bought the movie novel, just finished it today... LOVED IT... and still can't wait to see the movie KNOWING how it ends. Some people just like to whine, I think.