Can someone rank the Movie tie-in video games for me?

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Negronicus, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Negronicus

Negronicus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've played and LOVED the original Nintendo DS titles for the 07 movie, which allowed you to transform and scan modes in a free roam area. How are the console games? Or psp and 3ds titles?

2. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    I've played the 2007 DS games, the ROTF DS games, ROTF on PS3, ROTF on Wii, and DOTM on PS3. Out of those, I'll rank them like this.

1. 2007 DS Games
    2. ROTF on PS3
    3. DOTM on PS3
    4. ROTF DS games
    5. ROTF on Wii

Out of those, ROTF on Wii is the one truly awful game on the list. Terrible controls, gameplay, and a tiny cast just make it as unfun as possible.

The ROTF DS games were a massive step down from the 07 DS games, but at least they were playable. The DOTM PS3 game was bland, but palatable. ROTF had basically no campaign but still terrific gameplay.

The 2007 DS games, particularly the Decepticon game, have great, developed characters, a long story with real emotional stakes, fun open world gameplay, and are just a blast. Though some characters do fall by the wayside. Sorry Ratchet and Blackout, I guess that's why they paired you guys together for a boss battle.

The only downside is that some of the characters, well, mostly the Autobots, mostly play the same with a few minor differences. Jazz is fast as hell. Optimus is balanced. Ironhide is slow and strong. Ratchet and Bumblebee are really average. Maybe if they'd given them more unique weapons. Sure Ironhide has his cannons and Jazz has his plasma thing, but again, they don't feel unique enough sometimes. And even though playing as the Decepticons feels more unique, they all still feel kinda the same in robot mode.

I wouldn't mind a successor with the same gameplay, but maybe more characters. I would've loved to have played as Bonecrusher, for one.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Niv3k

Niv3k RED ALERT WOO WOO WOO

News Credits:
    1. Transformers (PS2/PS3) - Nostalgic
    2. Transformers: Dark of the Moon (PS3) - Cool that it's a prequel to the movie itself
    3. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (PS3) - Multiplayer was/is awesome
    4. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (PS2) - Campaign is not that great, but the co-op mode is cool
    5. Transformers (PSP) - A lot of characters, but the controls are bad
    6. Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark (PS3/PS4) - If you're playing this for the movie portion I'd say please don't. The Cybertron levels are decent.

4. GoldenKnight1212

GoldenKnight1212 Well-Known Member

I've only played TF1 on the PS2 and all the TF Movie DS Games, but I've watched the gameplays of all TF Movie games many times. I think this post sums it up really well, even though I've not played some of the mentioned games:

1. TF1 Autobots/Decepticons on DS - my reasons for why these games are the best are pretty much summed up by Chopperface. But I'd say that the Decepticons feel quite different robot mode, and their weapons are very unique. The actual downsides are that multiplayer only works when localised and you need play with someone who's got their own copy of the game, and some of the cheats only work if you get an external device.
    2. TF1 on PS2 - this game is pretty good, although I've only played it a handful of times many years ago, combat and fighting is fairly creative, there's a fun open world gameplay, the characters are very unique, the graphics are good for PS2, and there's a lot of fun features. The downsides are that the missions can be very repetitive and boring, the driving can be awkward and frustrating unless if you spend some time learning how to master the driving mechanics, there's a lot of missed opportunities for how you can use the characters (but this can be circumvented if you play a modified version of the game on the PC that's programmed by computer experts, and although this isn't an actual downside for the game itself, the PS2 version of the game is inferior the PS3 and Xbox version which are much better due to superior graphics and less glitches, so if you really want to buy the game, buy the PS3 or Xbox version because it's am upgraded version of the PS2 Game.
    3. TF2 Autobots/Decepticons on DS - summed up by Chopperface.
    4. TF3 Autobots/Decepticons on DS - these games are absolutely awful, especially the Decepticons version. They have no free roam, the animation and graphics are crap even for a DS game, the missions are extremely repetitive and boring, you basically shooting random mindless robots who don't provide any fun challenges, and boss battles are more or less the same, the only difference being is that they take longer beat and they run away from across the map. There's no creativity in melee combat, you just press a button and your character executes only 1 melee attack rather than a variety of attacks. The driving controls suck because you don't feel like you're actually driving, you're just moving moderately faster than in robot mode. You also can't climb on walls, and you can only pick up and throw a few type of items. Furthermore, when playing in robot mode you feel like you're some big robot that's jogging instead of an actual Transformer who's running at a competent pace.