Can someone please explain why...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by juise, Sep 7, 2008.

1. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Toy manufactures create a false demand for certain toys? I say false because they do it by producing limited numbers of certain figures. I'm relatively new to the concept of collecting, and this just baffles me! I know they cant all be winners. Making sure you don't saturate demand is key for any retail market, but this is something different.

Animated Blitzwing is a prime example. He was a 1 per case figure, and almost impossible to find until now. Hasbro doesn't make any more on him via this method. If something is valuable in the re-sell market, this does nothing for the manufacture. Is this some kind of consumer conditioning? Training us to buy the first time we see something cause we may never see it on the shelf again?

Enlighten me

2. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    there is no false demand, you are just impatient. Back before the days of the internet you didnt know something was for sale till you saw it in stores. Now cuz of a sighting or two on the other side of the country fans get pissed off they cant find it in stores. Also due to crazy or wealthy fans buying early release versions of toys months in advance and posting reviews scalpers know who you will look for. In the case of Blitzwing, he is also being held up on lower then expected sales of voyager prime and megatron who are clogging shelves around here. It was a bad idea to release them and their leader counter parts so close together

New toys, especially villians often only come out one per wave. It is rare toys will be released nationwide at the same time unless it is a new toyline like clone wars or a store exclusive. The release of later waves is based on how much stock stores have on hand, how often they order and how long they take to restock. Also during certain times of the year, such as right now, toy departments are more focused on clearencing out old product then bringing in new stuff. Toys released at this time take longer to reach saturation.

3. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    this is right..

4. Blitzwing256

Blitzwing256 Triple changer

keep in mind also that a case of voyagers only contains 4 figures, so blitzwing isn't as short packed as a say a 1 per case deluxe (cases of deluxes are 8) patience is a virtue, just hope we don't miss him totally due to as a previous poster said the crappy prime and megatron voyagers clogging the shelves.

5. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What MegaHavok said.

Also, if you're really that hard up for certain characters I suggest keeping an eye out on Hasbro Toy Shop's website. Lately they've been seeing a lot of the figures before they hit the brick and mortar stores and they charge the same MSRP as the brick and mortar stores. You'll just have to pay for shipping and if you use the code TF2009 you'll get a discount when purchasing Transformers from them. That's how I got my Blitzwing over a month ago or more and I still haven't seen him in a store locally as Voyager Megatron and Optimus Prime are clogging up shelves around me too... Lugnut seems to be a massive shelf warmer as well in my area it seems.

But, at this point... your choices are really either being patient and waiting to find it at a brick and mortar store. OR, you can buy it early from an online retailer (I would recommend HTS or BBTS) or eBay (which, unless you have a repor with a seller you've been purchasing from for awhile, is like playing Russian Roulette every time you bid on something).

6. lastmaximal

lastmaximal Hellspark

News Credits:
    there's also the likelihood that Blitzwing is only one per case NOW, and will feature more heavily in subsequent cases that have less old-product refreshes alongside him.

7. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not to argue but, I think there may be to much focus on my example. I say this because I saw Blitwing on the shelf a few times, but didn't have the money to pick him up when I did. Then he was no where to be found, and I'd here about him turning up now and then. Let me point out that I'm not taking whats for sale around the country in consideration. I'm strictly speaking about what I have observed happening in my area. Also Blitzwing is in every store I've been in now. So maybe it's not a true prime example. So maybe Alt Swerve, or MP Starscream then?

8. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I don't really know the way the system works, to be honest, but my guess is it's also has to do with general demand. I mean, we're mostly TF collectors, and even though we all buy alot, we're pretty much just a fraction of all the TF toys Hasbro sells. For every Blitzwing you and I want to buy, there's probably 25 parents with kids that want 'the truck' or 'the main bad guy'. The company needs to sell their toys, so they're bound to make more of the toys that will sell more. Putting alot of Blitzwings in a wave probably means less sales, because the 'mainstream' buyers will be less likely to pick this kind of character up.

Just my guess..:) 

9. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    MP Starscream seems another bad example for your point, if we're talking the Walmart version.

IIRC there were a ton of pre-orders for that, and not only were fans picking up multiple copies (misb'ers, kitbashers, etc), but scalpers went nuts with it too. Scalpers who are now getting rid of them on ebay for not much more than cost, because clearly they misunderstood the demand on that (yeah we'll pay 75 maybe, but not 100 or more).

Plus it was an exclusive, making it that much harder to find to begin with.

I'm still with MH on this, false demand in this hobby seems to be a bit of a stretch, because all I see is just *demand*.

10. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Addendum - and even in cases where there are ridiculously sought after chase figures, like the Bruce Wayne head Movie Masters Batman, I don't think that was a case of building a false demand as much as clearly the logic is more people will want the figure with the Batman head, yeah? Of course completionists and people who have a jones for chase figures/variants are going to go nuts for this, and again, in come the scalpers ready to pounce on that collector ocd willingness to sometimes pay anything to get their crack fix.

But I don't think that has much to do with Mattel, or any toy company either, instilling a false demand.

Again, in a lot of cases, you have to figure the toy companies are shooting blind too, they don't know at the design and executive levels which figures will be more popular or sought after until it's really too late and they're ready to ship/in stores already. Sure, you can guess an Optimus and Bumblebee are going to appeal more, but after that it's a lot of guesswork. Can't fault them for that really, imo.

11. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Along with everything else that has been said, remember that manufacturers have to try and make an educated guess as to the demand for a figure on shelves, Hasbro explained this to us at one of the BotCons. They do their best to determine if the toy will be a huge seller or a slow seller, and attempt to produce and casepack the toys accordingly. Sometimes they hit it right on the nose. Sometimes they vastly overproduce a toy compared to demand and it becomes a shelfwarmer. And sometimes they produce fewer than needed, and may or may not be able to produce more later to make up for it. it's a macro version of what smaller dedicated retailers, who look at their purchases by figure, not by simple item counts and assortments, try to do.