Can someone please explain Lucky Draws?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by unicron's blues, Aug 28, 2007.

1. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

So I guess I'm a bit ignorant, are these just usually leader class figures or which ones get LD's and how many are of each usually, any help would be appreciated.

2. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  3. Elvin Pena

Elvin Pena <b><font color=red>CyberCon is #1!</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
  4. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's a shame we'll never get anything like these from Hasbro in the US thanks to their "make enough so everyone and their grandmother can get one" mentality for everything.

5. Elvin Pena

News Credits:
    I really don't think there's anything wrong with that, to be honest. As someone that used to chase and collect lucky draws I can't even begin to tell you how frustrating it can be; not to mention expensive. While one could argue that what makes them so appealing to collectors is their rarity, they also happen to have some really nice paint aps (I'm speaking particularly about pre-Armada lucky draw toys; the gold stuff is very "blah").

Don't get me wrong, the thrill of the hunt is really fun, but it can start to wear on you after a while.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2007
  6. Prisoner1138

News Credits:
    Ok, so don't try to buy them on ebay. But it'd sure be nice to have somewhat of a chance of winning something along the lines of a gold chrome plated MP-01. Hell, for the winner that'd be like, uber-christmas.

7. Elvin Pena

News Credits:
    True, I see your point. Winning a lucky draw would certainly make anyone's day. But for those that didn't win, or would like to own the figure but simply can't afford it on the secondary market, they're left in the dark. There's a good side and a bad side to each circumstance.

8. Prisoner1138

News Credits:
    Not really, because if they didn't make it, you wouldn't have gotten it anyway. And that's the problem, for awesome stuff like this, people will be left out, but that's what makes the item special. But I guess with as nuts as people get over botcon exclusives being limited to a thousand or whatever, people would go apeshit if they found out a TF in the US was limited to 10.

Like look at pepsi prime, that thing was so easy to win, some people got 3 and 4 from pepsi, not including being able to buy it for $25 or $30(I can't remember exactly) that it went for at botcon and then on HTS. I mean, it's still kinda cool, but nowhere near as special.

Plus, even if they did do lucky draw type stuff in the US, all it does is make it easier for you to buy them in the secondary market anyway, because they're released somewhere else other than Japan.

9. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think it's safe to say that a vast, vast majority of the fanbase does not appreciate extremely limited releases. It would be my guess that there's only a very small niche of collectors that actively want to see more difficult-to-obtain items being produced.

What has always confused me about LDs is that there's potential money to be made there... I certainly would have paid a premium for a clear Sixshot, a gold Masterpiece Prime, or black SuperFireConvoy. A limited run of say, 1000 items sold at 3x retail would seem to recoup costs.

Instead, they manufacture 10 and give them away. :confused: 

10. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Tell that to the people who already complain about store exclusives because their local stores don't carry anything.

11. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:

Thank god for that. That way I only have to spend $10 instead of $400 for a piece of plastic.

12. Prisoner1138

News Credits:
    But that's the whole thing, don't spend $400 if you don't want to. It's not like anyone is twisting your arm. Do you spend that much for the lucky draw items from Japan now? If not, then why would LD items in the US be any different for you? Again if anything, it'd make them easier to get anyway.

And yea, even limited quantities of other types of special items(clear ss for example) released on a fairly regular basis would be nice.

13. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But those 10 encouraged people to buy whatever they needed to buy to be eligible to win those 10 (i.e. increase sales of regular production ones).

14. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    I totally agree, it makes no sense to produce a limited number just to make no profit on them at all. Of course then it could be argued that production costs are recouped with people buying more of the regular toys in the hopes of getting a LD figure. But the counter to that arguement is how many people would actually buy multiples of the same figure just on the off chance to get a LD? Especially with most of the LD figures being an alternate paint job of a fairly expensive toy.

For example, let's go with the gold WST Slag (forgive me if he isn't the gold LD character, I know one of the dinobots is). The regular toy retails for around $19.95. Would anyone actually spend hundreds of dollars to order multiples in the hopes of getting a gold figure? Probably not when you consider these are WST and that price is pretty expensive for such a small figure.

So where do they recoup the costs for manufacturing these? It may come from larger sales of the regular figures but it makes more sense to say they just eat up the costs or don't worry about the costs since most of the LD figures seem to be a fairly simple alt paint job.

15. Prisoner1138

News Credits:
    Umm, that's not how lucky draws work. You do something to enter a contest, and your name s drawn, and you win. For example, turning in enough UPC codes or whatever. Go check the FAQ someone posted earlier in the thread. I know there's some instances where with like the gashapon(sp?) stuff there's special colors released in the containers, but gold MP-01's and such aren't distributed to retailers at random.

16. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Lucky draws are the ones I'm wearing right before my wife and I have sex.

[rimshot]

17. DeathStorm

News Credits:
    I realize how they work but it's not always a contest or drawing. The one I used as an example (WST Dinobot) was advertised as having 10 gold lucky draw figures inserted into the production run. I didn't enter any contests, I merely ordered when they were released and I got one of them. TFSource got them from the Toronto con where the green WST dinobots were exclusives.

I should explain that the reason I'm not sure which character it is due to being in Kuwait currently. My sister back home has all my toys waiting for me and told me I got a completely gold small dinosaur toy - gotta assume that's what it is. EDIT: Just called my sis and confirmed with her - it's Slag, she said it's a completely gold Triceratop (SP?)

So in a way I guess it was like being in a drawing if you were at the convention, but I never attended. I just ordered the green toy from TFSource. It was just random luck (no pun intended) if one of the gold toys ended up being shipped to me.

If this thread is solely reference to the magazine figures in Japan then I apologize for the confusion - I thought it encompassed more.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2007
  18. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    The lucky draw wst are not official and were put out by justittoys. I dont know of a single lucky draw thats been packed and shipped out at random

19. DeathStorm

News Credits:
    Again, sorry, I didn't know we were speaking solely about "official" toys.

20. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    Personally, as someone who owns a few of these, and used to pursue them, I'd HATE to see Hasbro jump on the lucky draw bandwagon! If they really want a limitted piece that is used to drive sales, that's EASY....bring back ROBOT POINTS! Helps drive sales (not thet they currently need any help since the shelves here have been bare for months!). It would keep more of the fan base happy and spending (yay capitalism!) without the majority griping that 50 or so fans get something they can...and will...hawk on Ebay...

Unless they do all gold chrome ones...I don't like those anyway and would be more than happy to continue passing on them :)