Can someone help me identify this Knock Off Optimus Prime?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SaberPrime, Dec 11, 2011.

1. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

Unicycles, knock off Transformers, and weird animals oh my! - YouTube

You're going to want to skip ahead to 9:18 to see the knock off Transformers. The Optimus Prime looking Transformer has a Cybertronian looking alt mode I've never seen before. I know this one is a knock off because the packaging is a dead give away but I want to know what the real version is that this is based on or if this is actually a brand new design that just happens to have an Optimus Prime looking robot mode.

2. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 I'm actually 16.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can't tell to be honest, I guess it's just a Optimus-looking KO mold that's new I guess.

3. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

gah, if they're original molds, they're not knock offs, for crying out loud! @video :lol 

4. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

At 9:18 he's looking at the Cybertron molds at Big Lots. I'm not going to watch the whole thing so... when is the correct time?

5. SaberPrime

Sure they are. A Knock Off can be anything that is obviously infringing on the Transformers brand that was not made by Hasbro or Takara. It's a knock off Optimus Prime just because it's obviously Optimus Prime and not a Hasbro toy.

If you reach 12:21 you've gone too far. Seriously though the clip isn't that long quit being lazy.

6. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    haha, then do your own research lol

7. ServO

ServO Seeker (I look for stuff) Moderator

News Credits:
  8. SaberPrime

Going to respond to both of you at the same time.

I wasn't asking what the Knock Off toy line is called. I was at Big Lots looking right at them so obviously I already know what they are.

What I wanted to know is what REAL version of Optimus Prime has that alt mode? I figure it either doesn't exist or is based on something from Japan that was never released in the U.S.

I can't do research on something that I don't know the proper name for. The Knock Off is called Super Armored Dragon. It looks a lot like Optimus Prime but Japan has several Optimus Prime looking characters who are not Optimus Prime and I'm not going to find what I'm looking for searching for his knock off name.

I came here to find out what what the proper Hasbro/Takara names are for the specific toy line these knock offs are based on so that I can look them up. I can't look it up if I don't know what to look for. If I wanted to look up the Knock Off versions I could of done that myself, I want the REAL ones.

9. jerminator

jerminator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
  10. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Post THREE in this topic.

It's an original mold.

11. SaberPrime

I didn't really take post 3 as an answer because he said "if" which implies he doesn't know for sure if it's an original mold or not. You seem sure of that fact though.

12. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

I don't know man. You basically called all 3rd party products KOs.

13. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I doubt the toy even looks like that in robot mode. It's probably just a mish-mash of stolen artwork using an Optimus picture as a basis. I've seen plenty of knock-off and cheapo figures that use artwork from something else and then just add a few extra parts to make it look a bit more like the actual figure in the package.
    We are talking about the artwork on the card he showed, yes? I didn't watch all the way through because listening to the guy got real tiresome real fast.

14. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

If it's based off of a Hasbro IP, then I think it is in a way. But the roadbots, for example, are not KO's. they are there own thing and design.

but this whole discussion is a slippery slope and the fandom will never all agree on what a KO defines. We like our 3rd party stuff to much. :lol 

R!

15. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Ah, at the end we finally see Transformers. I skipped through the video and thought it was all the time him talking
    [​IMG]

16. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Mostly they are.

17. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

If you noticed the "artwork" on the back showing the figures, you'll see they're all various Optimus Primes badly photoshopped with new chestplates and such. They're original molds, but still bad knock off quality toys.

I can't get over the scoffs at the re-released Scouts in TF2010 packaging. "Why are there 5-year old toys at a new store?" Because they came out last year. Every BigLots has several cases of those and the Mini-Cons. The Mini-Cons are even being sold now in Safeways as stocking stuffers. They're not old toys. Old molds used for a new run for a different line, but it's not like the toys themselves are actually 5 years old. And the packaging isn't wrong either.

18. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    I only hope he never came across the G1 reissues when they were sold at US retail. Woulda blown his mind.

19. SaberPrime

They're Cybertron toys in generations style packaging. They're not listed on Hasbro's web site, they're not repaints of Cybertron molds in a different toy line, the packaging doesn't even say Hasbro anywhere on it. The molds from Hasbro were never reissued, they're just really good knock offs.

Why would that blow my mind? The G1 reissues were announced on the web site months before they even came out. Same thing with the 10th anniversary BW figures. These things were never released by Hasbro in that packaging.

20. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    um, ok, those scouts (repaint backstop, undermine and the other one) are official, search for them in the news section