Can someone explain what I need to make a good Combiner?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by blaynescott, Aug 16, 2011.

1. blaynescott

blaynescott Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hi everyone,

I keep seeing the Universe combiners, always with their 3rd party add ons.

However - how do I get form this ugly mess:
    [​IMG]

TO THIS:
    [​IMG]

Transformers Bruticus Maximus Universe (FansProject Crossfire Ugraded) - modo combinado | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

What would I need to buy?

The same goes for Superion. The retail version is just... meh. But the Fansproject stuff addon(s) looks amazing.

Another question to those who own either: How are the joints/posability after he's combined? Is it the kind of figure you just pose, and let stand -- or can you handle / "play"/fillding around with it witthout everything falling off?

I'd opt for a modern Predaking (one of those figure(s) I only had parts of as a kid) - but the G1 transformabrick look doesn't appeal to me anymore. Here's hoping Predaking gets a modern makeover soon.

In the meantime, any advice about the combiners would be appreciated. :) 

2. blur3479

blur3479 Movie Prime Apologist

News Credits:
    a little energon and a lot of luck lol

anyways i'll fiddle with them every once in a while but i just recommend being careful

3. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    The simple answer is that Fansproject created the set to make a bad Energon set much better. The poseability is still the same as what you get with the existing Energon set, but because of the better feet, and hands, he's much more stable.
    It can handle play wear, but like every third party piece manufactured, it's designed for adult collectors. Don't expect to play WWE off the top rope with this thing and not have something go wrong.

4. blaynescott

Ebay:
    Ah, so the combiners might suffer from fall-off-itis?

Another question - is it possible to get just the *head* from the Fansproject Bruticus add-on? I love that head sculpt. Has anyone done recasts of it?

5. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    The problem is that the head has a completely different top plate that it goes with. You can't pop off the original and put on that one, one is a ball joint (fansprojects), and the original is a pin. As far as I'm aware, no ones done recasts.

They won't fall off as easily for the new pieces, but those combiner joints are designed to be popped on and off. It's not a big deal, and I've shaken mine like a rotten child with nothing falling off.

6. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    So what you will need is this:

Bruticus:
    1- Crossfire XF-02A Explorer with Combat Unit Appendage Add-On Kit Set A - FansProject Crossfire
    2- Crossfire XF-02B Munitioner with Combat Unit Appendage Add-On Kit Set B - FansProject Crossfire

For Superion you need:

1- Aerial Team Appendage Add-On Kit - FansProject TFX

or the better looking of the two (also more rare and expensive)

2- 2009 Stocking Stuffer Campaign - Snowman Version - Superion Add-on Kit

I gave you the links so that you can see them and their name. Unfortunately you won't find these at retail.

In terms of the combiners themselves:

Bruticus:
    Fantastic figure over all. Amazing in every way. Articulation is awesome.

Superion:
    Bleh. That describes him. He looks good, but boy is he a pain in the ass. It is an older product so the articulation is pretty bad. His arms are on a single ball joint so they are to heavy and don't pose right. Also, the figure which is based on is so flimsy it is annoying. I would recommend the shapeways chest filler at the least for this guy.

It's funny cause the other day I was looking at my Superion and was like, he is not to bad. I picked him up to play with him, and I was like, now I remember why I hate you.

7. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    Not that I am aware of. Perhaps maybe asking one of the board's radicons to see if they'd be able to sculpt one for you? It may cost a pretty penny, but its worth a shot to ask. I know Rumble Frenzy, Jin Saotome and ThyVipera are amgonst the many here that have done awesome customs......

I agree. I love swapping out the left arm and left leg to make him look almost like the desert version from ruination. I've found quite a few variations you can do by interchanging em too! Well...arms for arms and legs for leg pieces I mean.

8. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Just so you know, usually if you want the top top customizer's combiners, its over 2K for commissions.

9. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    Wow...but isn't that like for full and complete figures? I wonder what a single head sculpt would cost?

10. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Yes, I have talked to FR before, knowing that usually its 2.5K inclusive of materials and labor for a full combiner.

For a head sculpt only, you could try sculptbot, or just ask around creative section for a commission. But before you do that, go to shapeways and see if you find a head you like. If you can paint it, that might be cheaper than commissioning a piece.

Although, if someone thinks 3rd party is expensive stuff, they will be blown away by custom commission prices.

11. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    Very true. Well...at least there's options for the OP.

12. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    since i haven't seen anyone answer your question, you need FP Munitioner and FP Explorer to go with rotf bruticus (or universe bruticus) both are really good, and don't fall apart easily

13. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I thought someone did?

14. blaynescott

Ebay:
    Yep, for this I'm fully aware - I've been customizing figures since 2007:

Online Portfolio of Blayne Scott | Fashion, Art, Music & Toys |

I just really like the Bruticus head sculpt, and wanted to kitbash some kind of decepticon using that head. :)  In the 6" and (GI JOE 3.75") crowds, recasting of parts (heads/hands/accessories) is pretty common, leading to a small cottage industry online. I guess TF-fans have the 3rd party manufacturers to fill that void, combined with the high rate of paint-scrape that can occur if you're transforming casted parts.

@Alucard77: Thanks for the links and your assessment of the figures. If the opportunity comes up, I'll certainly pick up Bruticus and his add ons. It looks like the "Crossfire XF-02B Munitioner" was the set that came with the extra head. I'll be keeping an eye out for that one in particular. :)