Can someone explain Transmetal 2 to me?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by siniquezu, May 14, 2009.

1. siniquezu

siniquezu Well-Known Member

1. How come Megatron and Optimus are TM2s but they didn't use the driver?
    2. If optimus has 4 modes, how come Megs has 3 modes in the toy but no acknowledged third mode in the show?
    3. Why did Megs change from Trex to dragon but Optimus change from Gorilla to frankenstein when they both borrow sparks from their namsakes?

Just doesn't make sense

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    1) In the toys, it was designed as a throwback to the old Microman and Diaclone days. In the show, it didn't really make a whole lot of sense, as they were both sentient, but they kind of played it up with the whole "Optimus/Megatron Spark" thing.

2) I guess the writers didn't feel like using it, or didn't feel there was time. They were pretty good at playing up the features of the toys during the show, I guess that one got overlooked/abandoned.

3) Dragons are like T-rexes that breathe fire, kind of, right? The better question is "Why did Megatron turn into a fictional animal?". Optimus still had a gorilla mode, he just rarely used it, because they had pretty much abandoned the whole "energon poisoning" thing by then. You're right though, it was kind of a strange transition. Maybe a tyrant lizard just wasn't evil or epic enough? I dunno. It was done so the show would suit the toys, most likely.

I'm not saying it all makes perfect sense, but its a cartoon about space robots having a civil war on prehistoric earth after travelling through time so they get there before the civil war even starts. I think that calls for some suspension of disbelief.

3. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    You could think of Primal and Megatron's bodies as the next logical evolution back towards Autobot and Decepticon. Only Megs managed to look MUCH cooler. :D 

--Moony

4. siniquezu

siniquezu Well-Known Member

I agree but some consistency would be nice.

5. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Just to point out, Optimal Optimus is NOT a Transmetal 2. He is a regular Transmetal. His first Transmetal body was enhanced by Optimus Prime's spark.

BW Megatron however, had contact with the Transmetal driver, and it seemed to mutate his form not when he took the original Megatron's spark, but when he fell in the lava.

This basically seems to stem from the nature of the Driver. Anyone who was in contact with it (e.i. Blackarachnia, Megatron, and Cheetor), and their sparks were in jeopardy but not all the way extingued, possibly might have had their forms copied and design re-written by the Driver in a way to enhance them.

6. Darth Grimlock

Darth Grimlock Banned

Ebay:
    With Megs falling into the lava, it only made sense to make him a Dragon. He was already flying around in his Transmetal form and it was just the next step for him.

Primal was just upgraded by Prime's sprak into something more "machine" than beast. Primal's head gear somewhat resembled that of Prime and he also took on some of Prime's characterisitics. Megs on the other hand was just pure nasty (best Megs until TFA Megs).

Megs didn't need to "roll" anywhere. He's a freaking dragon, come on.

7. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    Megatron wasn't in contact with the driver

8. Bayless

Bayless Well-Known Member

its true. Megatron did do the spark trick like Opti as well but he was mainly transformed by the driver. a T2 body features part machine part/real beast modes.

9. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

In the lava. Tarantulas even fished it out of the lava later. Or do I have this out of sequence?

- Coeloptera

10. Psychrome86

Psychrome86 Well-Known Member

a thought: megatron still had his original body from the start of the show. optimus had an entirely new body that didn't contain the "DNA" he scanned from the gorilla in the beginning of the show. to me it's seems more natural that megatron just got more and more beast like while primal went more mechanical. the only thing left on him to tell us about a beast mode was the beast head. megs was covered with his beast form in robot mode.

11. Nemesis_Dirge

Nemesis_Dirge Banned

News Credits:
    wrong. primal sat the driver down in the maximal's base after blackarchania tried to "upgrade" herself with it....quickstrike chucked megs into the lava pit right after he took in G1 megatron's spark....megatron had no formal contact with the driver before his upgrade to his flying dragon form....

the lava and G1 megatron's spark probably acted in concert to upgrade him to the newer form somehow....

they never showed the driver again after the episode where blackarchnia goes transmetal....

12. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    But then that wouldn't explain how Primal was turned back to his first gorilla body at the start of Beast Machines if he didn't contain that DNA in some way. Also quite a coincidence that his new body after coming back from the dead in BW also had a gorilla mode.
    Personally I think that Rhinox used some sample of Primal's Gorilla DNA when he retrieved him back from the Matrix to give the blank protoform an animal to scan. It's not a farfetched thought when you consider Megatron had a sample of Dinobot's DNA so I reckon the Maximals had a sample of Primal's animal DNA kicking about, either still in the security files (DNA scanners were part of the security if you remember when the Dinobot clone entered the Axalon), or the CR chambers have a sample so they know how to repair injured beast modes.
    Just how I reason it all anyways. :) 

13. kryptofred

kryptofred super-con

Ebay:
    From a story standpoint, TM2 tech was Megatron attempt to replicate the upgrades caused to some of the TF's due to the Transwarp explosion backlash. It's never fully explained where the driver comes from, but given the timing I think it's reasonable to think he used stolen tech from the Vok base or Ravage's "experimental" transwarp ship. Either way, by S3 the Maximals seemed to have many advantages and Megs knew he needed to take back the initiative if he wanted to win the "Beast Wars".

All true, except Optimal's packaging did have the transmetal 2 branding on it. He wasn't though, he never touched the driver and didn't upgrade into anything remotely like a TM2 form.

Ah, yes he was. He created it (or maybe stole it).

I don't think this was ever settled last week ;)  .

Let me through this idea out. I seems the driver reacted to any severly damaged spark it had prior contact with. The last time we saw the driver it was in the Ark, which is where this battle took place so, even though we don't see it, it seems plausable that the driver acted on it's own after Megs was thrown in the lava.

I like this. From now on, this is the explination I'm going with!

14. matrixprime

matrixprime AJ's Toy Chest Owner

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No where in the entire series does it state that Megatron created the transmetal driver. The dialog for the scene explaining it goes:

Depth Charge "Function Scan, All Variables"

Computer: "Data unknown. Device is of alien manufacture. Function has been altered by Megatron. Transmetal qualities have been enhanced beyond known parameters."

Secondly, BA has possession of the Driver in Crossing the Rubicon and then Primal has it before he gets access to the access codes for the ark. It's really easy to find the episodes on youtube, but Megs never creates the driver, nor does it help create his TM2 form.

15. Nemesis_Dirge

Nemesis_Dirge Banned

News Credits:
    i would doubt this just because the spider bot had to be right next to the driver to have it work it's "magic on her"....and megs was out of the ark...across the street and in a different neighborhood practically when he got tossed into the lava....

16. kryptofred

kryptofred super-con

Ebay:
    Okay, I exagerated the point to some extent, the original claim was that Megatron never touched the driver and your response proves that he did. He must have come in contact with it to alter it.

Plus if the function of the devices was alteredfrom its orginal purpose, then it was not orginally intended to create Transmetal TF's. Therefore Megatron took some existing technology and modified it to do something that it was not only not intended for, but also something that had never been achieved artificially before. He may not have created whatever the original devise was, but he did create the "transmetal driver".

17. Verolina

Verolina Lurkformer

Because dragons aren't fictional in Transformers. They existed in G.1 A Decepticon Raider in King Arthur's Court - Transformers Wiki - Teletraan I
    I always thought Megatron simply scanned a dragon while he was in the lava. I could be wrong though.

As for Primal, I agree with Gingerchris.