Can someone explain the deal with Wonderfest stuff to me?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by AdyCarter, Jul 25, 2011.

1. AdyCarter

AdyCarter Mentalist Conspiracies

Morning,

In the process of trying to catalogue a complete list of WSTs I keep coming across this Wonderfest stuff, now as far as I can gather Wonderfest is some type of Japanese convention, is it Transformers only or is it a bit of everything?

And whats the deal with the TF product that comes out of it? Far as I can gather theres a lot of genuine Takara stuff (such as that DOTM Arcee?) and then theres also stuff like the WST Springer, Sixshot, Goldbug, Megatron parts, Arcee and the Pre-Heero Ultra Magnus armour. (any others?)

Now some people imply these are 3rd part/unlicensed stuff and others talk about some kind of one day license Takara gives to everyone(?) attending which implies that all the Wonderfest stuff is official product?

So are they allowed to produce what would normally be KOs with Takaras blessing for the day and as such these should be seen as official product? Im a bit confused by the whole thing and I cant really find much information anywhere!

2. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I know it's not TF only, since there's Wondercon exclusives of from Figma (Roger Smith from Big O) and I believe 3A has a WWRP exclusive. From that variety I'm guessing it's on par with SDCC.

I have heard Takara will offer one day licenses for certain items, like WST Magnus. Whether or not you consider that official is up to you I think, as it's not produced by Has/Tak but it is licensed.

3. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    IIRC, Wonderfest is a large convention for all kinds of stuff. Normally companies like Takara don't allow third parties to make toys of their stuff, but for that convention they can get a one or two day license to sell those as official third party figures.

Which is also why that stuff can be pretty rare and expensive. Limited edition, only sold for two days...And even when you're there it can't be guaranteed that you can get your hands on what you want since most sell out fast.