Can Someone Explain One Aspect About The DOTM Bumblebees To Me?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Fifam94, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Fifam94

Fifam94 GO AIR FORCE

Why do the Deluxe and Leader Class have Nascar webbing on the windows? What were the designers going for? It looks absolutely ******ed on both molds!

2. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

It was to make him look more beefed up since he was doing military ops and more than likely based on early shots of the vehicle mode while the movie was in progress and was changed.

3. Fifam94

Fifam94 GO AIR FORCE

Really? I dunno it seems strange in the first place to even put nascar webbing on a non-nascar.

4. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Really? A movie about giant transforming alien robots and the one thing you can't suspend disbelief for is Nascar webbing?

5. Fifam94

Fifam94 GO AIR FORCE

For a Franchise who's tagline is "robots in disguise" it helps to have a realistic alt mode.

6. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    Word.

7. Fifam94

Fifam94 GO AIR FORCE

Hmm. . . If I recall correctly this is the TOY DISCUSSION FORUM, not the Movie one. So i'm not even talking about the film, i'm talking about the TOYS. Thanks.

8. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I think it's derived from a scene trimmed out of the movie where the NASCAR bots scan their alt modes and Bee is present why that leads to him having webbing I have not idea but I think that is why he's got the new nose spoiler and tail too - perhaps he races with them in some way originally it might be why they are not allowed out of the base as well as explain why Bee's had a slight upgrade.

At one point Bee was actually going to be black and yellow instead of yellow and black and that wound up being used on the Human Alliance toy and there was even talk of him being a convertible at one point too. (something I do not rule out yet happening in a future Movie) it looks like the convertible idea got transferred over to Sideswipe once they realised the marketing issues they'd have with the old design - I can't recall if the car was made on Bay's request or if the car was changed to reflect a new Corvette prototype GM had made that year... I originally heard that there was going to be a production version of the Corvette anniversary with normal doors etc.. and Sideswipe would be changed to that - but that car was put on the back burner when the Corvette sold so well so that might also still happen if GM decide to make a new corvette and that was the original plan before the roofless design was used instead. ( But as I said I can't recall now which came first the GM car prototype or the idea from the movie production team)

The version of Jolt that was cancelled from the Movie would have been silver with a black roof much like the Dlx DOTM Jolt toy the car existed and was tricked out to use on set but was not needed so never made it on to the set in the end and Jolt was removed from the movie.

Perhaps you can see if some place is still doing Hasbro Q&A's and ask them as a question to give a fuller explanation or see if you can get them asked at Botcon or TFcon if paramount ever actually release that uber Movie art and design production book they keep neglecting to release then I guess a lot of these points should be covered in that.

9. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Couldn't tell ya. You've put more thought into it than I have.

10. GPTF01

GPTF01 Well-Known Member

can't the webbing be removed?

looking at the normal vertion it looks like the fold out windows would fit. makes me want to go out and buy one to try the local wall-mart has deluxs on sale for $6 (normal price around $13)

11. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The windows aren't the right shape. Even if you remove the webbing, they don't fit. It's been tried before.

People keep saying that, but you're missing the point. It's very rarely ever the case that the alt-modes don't stand out. Look at the high density of high-performance sports cars in the Autobot ranks, even from the G1 days. Especially non-street legal ones like Wheeljack, Smokescreen, and Mirage. And then emergency vehicles like Ratchet or Prowl, in which their express purpose is to stand out.

The disguise bit comes from the fact that they don't look like giant humanoid robots.

Sorry, but nobody wants to buy a toyline of K-cars and minivans.

12. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh, give him a break. I have no flippin' idea why DotM BB has that webbing either, or why he has a silver face for that matter. It's like of the two BB molds, they gave him each one Wrecker-related feature (techy details or crash webbing) just for the heck of it.

BB turns into a fancy stock Camaro, not some weird NASCAR wannabe's custom ride.

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Maybe making it a NASCAR was an attempt to help the toys race off the shelves to prevent shelfwarming!

FAIL!

14. Wars

Wars Regular At Swerve's™

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    It can be removed. Only takes a quick clip and a bit of sanding and you can then fold the windows. At least on the deluxe.

:lol 

Sigged!