Can someone explain Celebrity Status to me?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by chrisr291, Jun 8, 2010.

1. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So what exactly does it take to become a Celebrity these days? It seems like whenever I turn the TV on, its

"CELEBRITY SHOWBIZ MINUTE"
    "Paris Hilton is dancing on a table"
    "Kim Kardashian is single now"
    "Kate Gosselin is crying again"
    "Snooki gets punched in the face"

So.... what exactly did these people do to become celebrities? Looking at those names, I see 2 sex tapes, a woman with way to many kids, and some chick on MTV. When I think Celebrities, the first thing that pops into my mind are actors, sports stars, and singers. Is the news trying to tell me that Paris Hilton and Morgan Freeman are on the same level?

and

Does celebrity status ever wear off? I mean I seriously just saw something about Coolio... Sure, Gangster's Paradise was a big hit.. 14 years ago......

2. J.H.N

J.H.N the HARSH one

your talking about them..., there is your answer.

3. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Pretty much

4. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    There is a fine line between being Famous and Infamous. All the people that you mentioned are the latter, but think that they are the former as shows like TMZ artificially inflate their importance.

5. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

What does it take to be a celebrity status in information overall multimedia free-for-all? Apparently just a camera and an internet connection.

But no, celeb status never wears off. Once you attain it, it's a bad odor that will follow you around until death. Otherwise, you wouldn't hear about the death of every Golden Girl, ancient rocker, or 80s kid star that stopped being relevant to popular culture 20 years ago.

6. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Here's your answer: They're all attention whores. They do crazy things intentionally to get press and people's attention since they fear they will lose their spotlight. Nobody knew who these people were until they made a sex tape, got knocked up with 8 kids, scored a reality t.v. show, or became a disgrace to Italians everywhere.

If you want them to go away, just ignore them. In 5-10 years they will all be replaced by another just like them.

7. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Can someone please post a link to the Simpsons "Just Don't Look" song? thanks.

8. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Actors, singers and sports people are stars and the others are celebrities. I wouldn't call Paris Hilton a 'star', although she has 'acted' in movies and 'sung' an album. I suppose she's a lesser star if I have to stick to my way of seeing things, but she really only got her star acting and singing because she was a celebrity first. So I'll stick with that: some are stars first and celebrity second and others are celebrity first and star second. And it can affect if they're a waste of oxygen or not.

*wibble*

9. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Coolio still does stuff in music and was/is Kwanzabot in Futurama

Paris and Kim are known for sex tapes and being whores
    Kate is a Deadbeat parent who exploits her kids
    Snooki is a obnoxious mouth who get ratings.

Sadly,Star,US and other mags have created a second level celebrity that is more interesting than a boring Matt Damon or a quiet Reese Witherspoon.

10. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just to add my two cents here, while a lot of celebrities do fade out from the attention of mainstream audiences, they could still very well be getting noticed by their core audience. For instance, Coolio got big in the rap world before Gangsta's Paradise exposed him to a bigger market, and today he could still very well be staying relevant in the rap industry.

We can even extend celebrity status to our own fandom. Look at how high profile guys like Peaugh and Vangelus are.

11. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

Who?