Can Someone Explain Barricade's Popularity?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Fade2BlackZarak, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Fade2BlackZarak

Fade2BlackZarak Well-Known Member

So I was reading the TVTropes page for TLK and it kept mentioning how popular Barricade was and then I also noticed he was voted into the TF Hall of Fame. Is there a reason for this? Beyond his first appearance in the original movie ("Are you LadiesMan217?"), I barely remember anything about him. I didn't even realise he was in Dark of the Moon until the TFWiki told me.

Am I overlooking something especially awesome? I don't get why he's so popular in the fandom. I am genuinely confused.

• Like Like x 2
  2. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Of the Decepticons in the film verse, he has one of the highest spoken line counts (seriously, it's like they're all deaf-mute drooling robotic dogs).
    He's visually impressive.
    He's actually had a couple good scenes in the series. (Not great, because they end quickly, but good.)
    And you can't beat "To Punish And Enslave..." That's just awesome.

That said, those shouldn't be enough to make him as awesome as he is, but when that's all you get...make do with what you got.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

I would guess because he's a decepticon disguised as a cop. And that Mustang Saleen S281 is a bad ass car.

• Like Like x 9
  4. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Those, too.

5. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Likes Alpha Bravo

<Black Mustang
    <Was pretty cool in TF07
    <"To Punish And Enslave..."
    <Black Mustang
    <Trope Codifier for Decepticons disguising themselves as emergency responders
    <Slippery sumbitch has seen it all, survived all 5 movies without dying once (LITERALLY NO ONE ELSE HAS DONE THIS BUT BUMBLE)
    <Black Mustang

• Like Like x 3
  6. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    I think the pre-movie hype for him simply based on the alternate mode chosen, plus the "rivalry" with Bumblebee pushed by Hasbro with the toyline, has more to do with it than anything he actually does in the movie.

Barricade as he appears in the movies doesn't even remotely live up to the massive hype surrounding him. Bumblebee defeats him offscreen, and when he appears again later in the movie, he was supposed to be killed by Optimus Prime but that scene never happened, so his unexplained sudden disappearance from the first film fanned the hype even further. He then makes a sudden return in the third movie after being inexplicably absent from the second one. Again it appears like he's killed but somehow returns again for the fifth movie after being absent from the fourth one.

If you step back and look at it, it really boils down to "evil cop car", with everything else being based on fan expectations rather than actual onscreen action.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Galva Prime

Galva Prime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Think this is true of movie characters in general, the potential rather than what they end up doing in the movies.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Fade2BlackZarak

Fade2BlackZarak Well-Known Member

The Transformers films are full of Boba Fetts, I guess.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    He and Blackout (another very popular Decepticon) was intimidating and very scary and they were the stars of TF1, which everyone like I think it's enough. I personally think that Soundvawe was characterized better with his Mersedes vehicle mode, the ability to hear every communication, a bunch of minions and the scene, where he almost executed Bumblebee. He did more than Barricade. It would be interesting to see him in Bumblebee Movie, not Barricade.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Always happy to repost this:

Barricade is the most important Con in TF1

I should edit that first post though. Fix the pic & add all the other points that people brought up in the discussion. There's a lot more than what I originally outlined.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  11. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    I don't get it either.

12. Strawberrytop00

Strawberrytop00 Derpticon

Barricade is basically an original movie character. (I think there was a toy Barricade in the past though not sure) And is considered one of the more successful and liked originals. Compared to monstrosities like the twins. Barricade is an example of how creative the original concept of the Decepticon’s alt mode are, they were all military or law enforcement vehicles. I found that really cool over a Decepticon whose a fancy new expensive Mercedes. (Sorry Soundwave I didn’t dig that look on you XD )

Barricade has one of the most epic entrances in my mind, in fact the majority of the Cons in film 1 did. They entered in a in your face badass kind of way that was exciting.

And the mustang is beast, (And I’m not just saying this because I own a Mustang, mines only 3 years old and I originally wanted a Camaro but it kinda disappointed me so…) I’m sorry but BumbeBee’s Camaro shots feel worn out to me, nothing compares to seeing that badass Mustang Saleen S281 roll up. It feels far more menacing. Damn I wish their rivalry was sibling rivalry, But that's just me.

Barricade did do more than most of the cons in film 1, each had their badass moments but you became more familiar with Barricade as he got his own spotlight while the others had scenes mixed in with each other during the final battle.

But if I’m going to be 100% honest here…it’s because he’s a sexy beast

• Like Like x 2
  13. Chris James

Chris James Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Probably because of his alt. mode and his scene in TF1 was pretty awesome. Also, he disappeared for almost 2 whole movies and still ended up with more Autobot kills than Starsceam, Soundwave and Shockwave combined.

Unfortunately I think he was a disappointment in TLK despite a cool redesign.

14. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Hollo!

He's popular like how all Transformers get popular: Doesn't actually do much in fiction, but he looks cool/has a cool idea/has a cool toy.

• Like Like x 1
  15. zachprime86

zachprime86 Zachimus Prime

I think that most people only noticed him in TF2007 and TLK Because black and dark blue stand out ?

16. ReveredSloth

ReveredSloth Member

I think his popularity has to do with his first transformation. Especially that transforming sound effect. So many friggin TF YouTube channels use that in their intros! :lol 

• Like Like x 2
  17. sideswipe3

sideswipe3 Well-Known Member

He looks cool in both 2007 & TLK
    cop car
    He is kind of a meme now
    Well that is all I got also his voice actor can sing so if they ever have him sing he would be good at it.

18. Shark

Shark Carcharodon carcharias

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Tbh I think a lot of his popularity comes from fanfiction. Heck, on Archive of Our Own, the Transformers fic with the highest word count seems Barricade-centric, judging from the summary.

19. jaws

jaws Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Best slogan ever. Kickass car mode especially TLK version.

20. Strawberrytop00

Strawberrytop00 Derpticon

So I'm assuming in-between films Barricade didn't go missing but actually went on a tour with a rock band as the lead singer...

• Like Like x 6