Can playing with Transformers improve a child's learning ability?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Lateralus, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Lateralus

Lateralus Well-Known Member

I doubt I'm the only person that's thought of this. But I was thinking earlier, with Transformers being more complex than any other toys, could that increase a child's ability to make decisions, solve problems and learn? When I was younger a few years back I loved playing with Transformers, and of course the most fun involved transforming them. At that age I was a fan during the Beast Wars, Beast Machines, Robots In Disguise and Armada eras (gone far downhill since then). Of course at that time I found the transformations complex and spent hours figuring out how they work. I'm not saying Transformers are like a miracle toy, but for my age (15...) I am good at learning and solving things by breaking them down. And I'm sure it could have a more prominent effect on even younger kids.

Is it possible messing with things like Transformers when I was younger could have helped somewhat build my intelligence capabilities?

Or am I just full of crap and digging too far into this?

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Wether you are indeed full of crap is up to debate.

However, I do beleive Transformers is a stimulant that can aid in a childs engineering skills.

3. Zombie F Body

Zombie F Body Has left the building...

As a psychologist, I'm sure there is some truth to this. The kind of toys you expose a child to at a young age can either help their mental development or be to their detriment. When a child is born the brain is not complete. Neural pathways are grown and pruned constantly after birth. The brain really isn't "set" till late adolescence so I'm sure a playing with a TF would excite certain portions of the brain causing more neural connections there.

That would be a fun longitudinal study to conduct!

4. Lateralus

Shame we have stupid toys like bratz and barbie for little girls...

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Pedophilic baby-sluts FTL. :( 

I did not know the brain was not "set" till adolecence.

6. Wolf Boy

Wolf Boy Ghost of Impactor

My mother says the opposite. She thinks watching shows like Transformers IMPARE a child's learning ability, closing the synapses in their brains that allow them to excell in math and science and logical things like that.

According to her, kids were smarter back when they played with guns and swords horses and things that were realistic rather than fantasy. Ergo, she is totally cool with GI Joe (and she finds it cute when my brothers call her Scarlett).

But as for Transformers, she wont even allow my 8-year old brothers to TALK about them. She gave me a look that could kill when I bought them Softimus Prime and Slumblebee. She even cut the cord off the TV (no joke) when she caught us watching "Transformers: The Movie." However westerns and war movies are okay ... just not Transformers. War of the Worlds, Independence Day, Star Trek, Star Wars, she is fine with those. But she says she remembers how much harm Transformers caused back in the 80s and if I'd been there, I'd agree with her. She's a doctor, BTW.

7. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Well-Known Member

At the very least, it can allow them to understand how complex systems function, and how various smaller components can work together.

8. Lateralus

Being a doctor does not make her an authority on the issue. And what damage are we talking about?

I'm talking mostly about the toys themselves, but if anything, the Optimus Prime could be a good role model..

9. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    My parents encouraged toys like Micronauts over Star Wars (Because of the building and creativity that had to go into playing with them) and TF style toys were also a big win in my house because of the puzzle box style of playing, they really are marvels of engineering...and have to be manipulated in the correct pattern to play. My son and my nephew both get lots of TF's from my parents still...in addition to the ones I get for them :)  (And both are well above their grade levels in math...my nephew is at 4th grade level and jsut going into 2nd grade...and my son is going into first but his math skills are at 2nd grade level :)  )

10. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

SOrry bout this, but your Mother is so full of shit I can smell her here in Oklahoma. You can tell her I said so too.

11. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There have been studies that support the idea that video games help children with hand/eye coordination and quick thinking. I don't see it being too out there that Transformers toys could help children with problem solving, spatial relationships, and the like. (at least if kids actually learn to transfomr them properly, instead of giving up and pulling their heads off :)  )

12. Wolf Boy

Well, she thinks anything that has an appearance adhering to certain Jungian "fear" archetypes (skulls, for example) are bad for children to see (cartoon, toy, Halloween decoration, whatever) because it has a subconcious effect on them. Thus, characters like Batman are out. She ESPECIALLY hates Bionicle toys, as they have a very skeleton-like look to them.

As for the toys themselves, I think she views it as warping and bending reality by altering realistic constructs into fantasical ones. I'm not sure, since she hasn't explained her specific adversion to the toys. There's also a lot of "we are better than that" mentality, feeling that toys like Transformers are for low-rent children, and that her kids (the children of a doctor) should be a cut above "other kids."

Comics, cartoons, superheroes, stuff like that is crap in her estimation. Like a lot of mothers, she feels there is better films and literature than that sort of pulp crap. She says that comic books are only for children, the semi-literate or the mentally retarded. Adults and intelectual children have better ways to spend their time.

I think she might be blaming cartoons and comic books for why I am a Communications major instead of a doctor or scientist or something in her league. Thus, whatever she felt happened in my childhood to hold me back from success like she had needs to be eliminated from my brothers lives. Actually she said it once, "I don't want them growing up to be comic-book-weird like their brother."

And yet she named one of my brothers John Reed, after Reed Richards from the Fantastic Four. Go figure.

13. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    LOL

14. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    So she wanted you to do what she wanted as opposed to what you wanted? Man, talk about controlling and manipulative... If what you are doing makes you happy, why is she so upset about it not being what she wants that she would try to keep other kids from playing with a toy that builds engineering skills? Run-on-sentence FTW!!

15. Lateralus

As much as I love Jungian philosophy, she's digging too far into it. Sounds like she's extremely arrogant and self-righteous. What kind of degree does she have?

16. Mirage914

Mirage914 Invisible

hell i love the transformers and i want to be a doctor.

17. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    Transformers have been known to stimulate the brain in a way. I was looking into this as well.

18. Wolf Boy

Three of them, but I can't recall them offhand. Never cared.

I can kind of understand where she's coming from to an extent. A bunch of grown men playing with/collecting/watching/discussing/drawing/writing fanfics about a line of kids toys from 20 years ago can seem pretty damn weird to an outsider. It only makes sense that a mother would want to save their child from ending up like that.

Also, it doesn't help matters any that one of my brothers lies about having nightmares. Recentely, he told her that he dreamed that the "black Bionicle guy" was chasing him. I could tell he was lying, but she bought it hook, line and sinker. Little boys are very good at manipulating overly concerned mothers.

Well, she's never said she dissaproves of my career goal choices, she only objects to me being a comic-culture geek. I don't think she (or my father, who is FAR worse in said regard) realize that the geeks of today are the artists, writers and producers of tomorrow. All the current greats grew up on the likes of Kirby, Romita, Lee and Ditko as geeks themselves. But my parents make ignorent comments that "no one" reads comics and stuff like that.

19. Mirage914

Mirage914 Invisible

Is being a transfan bad?

20. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    No.