Can Mattel/Ferrari release their own Transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SHINOBI03, Mar 16, 2012.

1. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

This might be related in a way or another to http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...rage-dino-thread-all-threads-merged-here.html, but it's not really about Dino.

It's about wither Mattel and/or Ferrari can release their own line of transforming vehicles. Are Has/Tak the sole owners for "robots transforming to cars" trademark? We've seen some transformers toylines like Roadbots that uses real car brands, but they are considered knock-offs even if they have original designs.

There's something else I'd like to add to this... as you know, In Abu Dhabi, the capital of the United Arab Emirates, there's a Ferrari theme park called Ferrari World. And I remember seeing a poster for the park that had a transformer F-1 car that looked vaguely like Classics Mirage! Unfortunately I couldn't take a picture and I don't the poster is there anymore, but I'm not lying. That was a Transformer in a Ferrari-related advertising. And if they've used it once, why can't they release transforming Ferrari cars?

2. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    I guess it's more like LEGO, in that they can't really trademark the concept of "building bricks", but they do it so well and for so long that it's hard to compete seriously against them (and it's why they can't really sue hasbro for their KREO). I guess it'd take considerable effort to launch a toyline competing against transformers, on any scale bigger than what third parties do. And even those third parties prefer appealing to TF collectors with their "homages" than actually do 100% original designs.

In other words, I don't think they can't do it, but rather they think it isn't worth the effort -for now.

3. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    No way in hell I'd let that happen.

GO Team Hasbro.

4. Dansproject

Dansproject Drifticon

Roadbots didn't really get anywhere. I can't see any reason why another company shouldn't manufacture shapeshifting toys.

5. Spalah

Spalah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh yes, they can. And they will call their line something like "Shapechangers" or "Roboshifters".

6. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They've tried it before.

They sucked ass.

And for your reference, their current attempt to do a big, giant, Collector-oriented Voltron (read: one of the simplest giant combining robot designs ever) resulted in... well, do your own research. While it still has its fans (mostly on account of its ridiculous size), if this were any other company with experience in robot toys (Hasbro/Takara/Bandai, etc.), I'd be embarrassed for them.

7. Zhadow

Zhadow Oh hi there

I hardly think so since Hasbro has the first priority to produce transformers.

8. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think you're confused.

Hasbro (and their partner, TakaraTomy) are the only ones allowed to produce Transformers (with a capital "T"). It's their legal property. Priority nothing. The buck starts and ends with Hasbro/TT.

But they don't own the concept of transforming robots. Anybody can do those. Which is what this thread's about.

9. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well thought out post as always..right on.

Thats kinda where im at. IMHO Any other major toy co to attempt this would still be the difference between He-man and GIJOE. I had almost the entire GIJOE collection as a kid, and a few He-man guys. I watched all three shows, Heman Joe, and TF. He'man used to get laughed at ALOT in school. I remember really well looking at that stuff as a kid and saying.."These...ARE...kinda dumb..." The toon and figures gave NONE of the dark and scary looking world that appeared on the boxes. @ years ago I bought a anmost complete heman collection of toys. Even had a 99% complete Eternia set.All of it worked and was complete and nice...But DAMN...Dumb shit. You look at same time era Joes or TFs, Sheeeiiit...You'll wanna pick it up and play with it. Pick up a vintage Heman..and to me..its kinda like the feeling you get right before you pick up dog shit. Just..kinda dirty. So Hasbro has always seemed to make the BEST shit. Go-Bots were great too, but Hasbro slayed em. I would say it would be the same no matter what. The best, most impressive TFing toy another Co could do would barely be on part with SW X-overs...And that is way behind mainline TF.

They would suck. Voltron is a great example.

10. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

maybe if bandai handles the transformation/mech designs, katoki hajime anyone?, to me mattel just really isn't a good toy designer, all their 'action figures' have very limited articulation and simple sculpts, probably due to 'child friendly' policy or something.

11. tfprime32

tfprime32 Banned

News Credits:
    why cant Habro sign a deal with mattel then just for the Ferrari(merage)?

just for this vehical mode !! come on!!!!

12. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    Doubt it. Then Hasbro would get pissed, and Botcon 2012 would get interesting when the Mattel and Hasbro guys start brawling.

Besides, nobody cares about Dino. He was a nobody.

13. tfprime32

tfprime32 Banned

News Credits:
    some peps care!!!!

i want him as a toy!! not the ferria car underneath the car thers a robot! cant think of the name of the darn ting!

14. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    they could try but Mattel is likely to screw it up worse that wheelie trying to dance to dubstep.

15. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

I'm still upset over the crimes that were committed in that awesome design not getting a toy, but I don't want Hasbro getting competition.

With all the begging for Classics versions of G1 characters who didn't do shit, I find this ironic.

16. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    Hey! Barrage.... Did stuff. Remember when he did.... that thing?

17. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    RotF Swerve is the closest thing we have right now. Red sports car that looks vaguely Dino-ish in robot mode.

Really, if you are talking about another toy company making a transforming Ferrari to fill the void, it'd have to be about 70% likeness or less to avoid lawsuits - at which point, Swerve becomes almost a better likeness anyway.

18. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Mattel made Hot Wheels cars that could vaguely transform a while ago. They... kinda sucked. The entire underside of the car came off... and acted as a skateboard. All of them transformed like that.

Also, any company can produce transforming robot toys. It's just they might not be able to do it very well. You can't copyright or trademark an idea like "robot turns into car". Hasbro has also made a lot of effort to protect their brand, by using the term "convert" or "change" instead of "transform", so "Transformers" remains a brand name, and not a name for generic, transforming robot toys pumped out by sub-par companies.

19. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

At least Mirage got to kill a couple guys. U MAD?

20. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    No mad. Just don't care for Dino, or all the butthurt people go through because he's not getting a figure.