Customs: can I use future over regular Krylon

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Big Dawg, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hi guys,

finishing up a custom and want to give it a coat of future to protect it. I've used Krylon royal blue spray paint on one part and just wanted to see if the future will work with it (it's not fusion, just regular Krylon that has "dries in 10 minutes" on the can).

Thanks.

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I don't see why not. I've used Future to coat everything from Krylon spray paints to Testors/Tamiya. I even used it to coat the cheap craft paints like Folk Art. Future doesn't seem to react badly to anything.

3. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    The only adverse effects I've seen Future do to a finish is it completely neutralizes Alclad. It turns the the nice chromey shine to dull gray.

4. Big Dawg

News Credits:
    Thanks guys. I've put so much into this guy that I didn't want to ruin the finish with an application of future (I've heard how good it can be but I've also heard horror stories when used with the wrong medium).

5. big hank

News Credits:
    Yeah, you're pretty much good to go with future.

If you are brushing on the Future coat, use a nice wide flat brush. Don't be afraid to go a little heavy, future will "sink to it's own level". Meaning it won't show brush strokes, if the figure you are coating has things like opening doors, open them while coating. Sometimes future can get into crevices and "glue" (not permanently, but may affect finish) parts shut after drying. Regarding drying, it'll be dry enough to handle in an hour, but full cure in a day.:thumbs2: 

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I use it quite often with several different types of Kyrlon paint (mostly Fusion, but also other Kyrlon sprays that are designed for plastics). You shouldn't have a bit of problem unless . . . .

big hank's post is right on the money. Make sure to use a wide brush (I try to use one wider than the surface area, except on large pieces), as Future can show brush strokes if you're not quick about it. When it starts to try, it starts to gum up, especially in the areas bh is discussing.

bh is correct about the drying/curing time as well. However, I don't make a regular practice to handle parts for a while, as sometimes fingerprints can be left on a piece even after it's dried. Handling pieces with one's fingers is pushing into the Future, forcing a fingerprint, even after the part is dried. My typical process is application>full cure time>handle parts.

7. big hank

News Credits:
    That's a great rule of thumb that even experienced painters ignore. I wear latex gloves pretty much from the final prep all the way to the final coat's cure, but I should really exercise that rule.

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Well, if anything, I don't have to sit and watch paint dry :lol  What really got me into that discipline was just that. I actually just coated some parts, and know the cure time will be great for when I wake up tomorrow. Often times, I'd coat things just before work, go work 8 hours, come home and sleep, then get up to play with my new custom! :rock 

9. Big Dawg

News Credits:
    Thanks guys. Fantastic tips. I hope to have some picks up by the end of the weekend (I have tons of pics from the build since it's my first custom and my 84 optimus prime I had when I was little)