Can I have a list of which ROTF versions are better than the 07 ones, and vice versa?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Wazzpinator, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Wazzpinator

Wazzpinator is playin ODST

Just wondering, I had a fairly decent cast of the first movie purchased, missing a few cons. But now that ROTF is out, they updated all the figures making them more screen accurate. I bit the bullet and bought many new Bumblebee's, as that one was a major difference for me, but...

is it worth it to replace the cast with their new versions?
    I am mainly looking at the Optimus, Ironhide, Starscream, and Megatron.

2. The Mad Vulcan

The Mad Vulcan Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The Optimus and Starscream are better, though with a Leader class SS on the horizon I think you should wait on him. No reason to update twice.

I'm not a fan of either Movie Meg, but the first is probably better. A lot of fans tout the ROTF voyager Megs, but you have a Megatron so wait for a really amazing mold to upgrade.

I prefer the original Ironhide. The second one had a more accurate head, but less accurate paint and weapons. It is also the same mold. There will be a fourth Ironhide who is even less movie accurate than the ones we have and also the same mold.

So yeah, only Optimus.

3. Dally

Dally Decepticon

Ebay:
    Optimus is 100% better and a must have even if you still have your '07 mold. Starscream is great as well, but I don't know how he compares to his '07 mold because I never owned that one. Starscream is also getting a Leader class figure next year so you might just want to hold out for that. Megatron has a completely new look in ROTF, so which one you get really depends on whether you liked his ROTF look or '07 look. Ratchet remains unchanged save for some minor color differences. ROTF Ironhide is actually worse since his new paint job is inaccurate.

4. Wazzpinator

Hurm. This would be better If I could actually find an OP somewhere. I think I've only seen it like 2 times.

5. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ROTF over 07:

OP, Starscream (but I'm holding out for the Leader version), Megs

07 over ROTF:

Bumblebee, Ratchet (in terms of deco)

6. Wazzpinator

/\, too late, I already bought my new Buzzlebees.

7. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Best Ironhide so far is probably the Premium.
    Best Prime... probably Buster Prime, but technically not out, lack of faceplate isn't for everyone, and it's probably going to cost a good bit more than $45 anyway.

8. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Prime and Megs replace their 07 counterparts in my collection. Waiting for leader SS.

Bumblebee, Ironhide and Ratchet stayed from the 07 line.

9. Dally

Dally Decepticon

Ebay:
    Really? OP and Megatron are clogging the shelves here. I wish I could find a Jetfire.

10. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok, let's do a run through:
    Prime- get the new one. No questions asked.
    Bumblebee- you said you already bought him, he's fine anyway.
    Ironhide- If you have the money get him and place his head and guns on the original.
    Ratchet- if you have the original voyager, don't bother with this one, there is also a deluxe one coming next year.

Megs- yeah, he has a new look, so it's personal preference if you want the new one or not.
    Starscream- Wait for the leader, although the Voyager is pretty nice.
    Grindor- Don't touch him if you have the first Blackout.

11. MonkeyBusiness

MonkeyBusiness Autobot Engineer

Leader Optimus Prime: best figure in the line.
    Leader Megatron: Good figure, better than his 07 counterpart.
    Voyager Optimus Prime: Same figure as 07
    Voyager Megatron: Possibly more accurate than the Leader version, MUCH better figure than 07
    Voyager Ironhide: More accurate guns and head, less accurate paint job. Easily switched out.
    Voyager Ratchet: Same figure, less accurate paint job.
    Voyager Starscream: Much more accurate figure
    Deluxe Bumblebee: Better head, gun arm.
    Deluxe Cannon Bumblebee: More accurate arms, less accurate torso
    Deluxe Barricade: More accurate head

Upcoming releases: Leader Starscream, Deluxe Ratchet

Hope that helps!

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    ROTF> 2007 except for voyager Optimus,Ironhide and Ratchet because Voyager Optimus's only upgrade is a chinese letter, Ratchet is barely a repaint and Ironhide has nice upgraded weapons but the colour scheme isn't too great.

13. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

About Starscream (voyager).

Am I the only one who doesn't like the new voyager class SS better than TF07 voyager SS? The proportions on the new one look even worse on RotF SS...

14. err76

err76 Well-Known Member

WORD

15. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Depends on your point of view. ROTF voyager SS merely accentuates the SS movie design (wide diamondshaped body)

About the legs : they are not shorter in proportion. Measure the length from toe to hip and then measure toe to shoulder joint ; you'll see the legs are proportionally, pretty long.

I really love this version, although I do think it's possible the Leader class SS might be the best version afterall. We'll see...

16. prime0850

prime0850 Member

Just my opinion.

I want to collect atleast 1 of each character from the movie so I am trying to find the "best versions" ifyou will myself, I have already made a few mistakes in purchasing but I am learning.

ROTF Leader optimus > 07. Better weapons, more CG accurate appearance, just much much better.

07 (PREMIUM) megatron > ROTF megatron. Really this is just my opinion, take it as you will.. but I liked the first movies megatron allot more than the new movie. The Gimp arm and the lack of any articulation in the cannon arm kill ROTF megs for me.. take a screwdriver and put the spring in the fusion cannon into the grappler arm on 07 premium megs and you are good to go.

HA bumble bee > any 07 bee. HA bumblebee is the best bumblebee for posing, period. He has a slide down battle mask, he is very CG accurate and he poses fantastic! I dont see him as a great "play with me" kind of toy, but as for posing on a shelf or for action scenes he is a must!

HA Barricade > 07/rotf deluxe. He will look great beside HA bee.. finally in proportion, not to mention awesome paint apps and again highly articulated. I made the mistake (my first mistake hah.) of buying the ROTF deluxe barricade, when i saw the news for HA i was upset with myself for sure!

07 Ironhide > ROTF ironhide. Ironhide is a glossy black truck in the films, the ROTF toy has a crap grey color and 2 tone in robot mode, skip him and find an 07 ironhide.

ROTF SS > 07 SS. THis is another "opinion varies" kind of choice.. but the general consensus is that the ROTF toy is over all better.

Blackout > Grindor. I like the black helicopter better than the tan one, just my opinion. The molds are 100% identicle.

07 Premiume Jazz > ROTF Smokescreen. Who the heck is smokescreen?! Give us back jazz :( .

Ratchet, I dont know.

Other bots/decepticons from the films I may have forgotten to include.. I dont know which is better.

17. KingGrimlock

KingGrimlock Assuming Direct Control

well ironhide could be fixed simplely to make him more acurate if thats something you may be intrested in doing theres a video on it
    YouTube - ROTF Ironhide Mod
    and they improved gun i guess thats something