Customs: Can I get a hand

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Protoform X, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Protoform X

Protoform X Predicon Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

2. Butuman

Butuman Well-Known Member

dont know where to get them articulated hands, but thats on nice bb custom. fatter than energon prime.

3. Icetron

Icetron Well-Known Member

Looks like it's from a Gundam model but modded a bit. If you look at his background images, it has a picture of a Gundam kit. If it's modded it may be a MG (Master Grade) kit since PG (Perfect Grade) kits have posable fingers if I remember correctly.

4. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The green colour of the hands, as well as the design of the hands themselves quickly identifies them as having come from an MG Nemo kit. So yeah, they're from an MG Gundam kit.

However, they've been further modified with a flexible wire core so that they essentially have full articulation, as opposed to the original knuckle-joints only design (as seen on the hand on the right).

5. Mr. Wholesome

Mr. Wholesome WWOD What Would Ops Do?

Ebay:
    A lot of that is actually a gundam kit(s) besides the obvious VW Bettle part.

6. RunaR

RunaR Well-Known Member

There was a guide some time ago (2 years?) how to make custom hands from styrene sheets and with wire and beads. But I can't find it.

7. Glue

Glue Member

That was probably the Suku-Suku Scratch article from one of the jp hobby magazines. Transtopia has a copy of it up at http://www.tfmaster.com/articles_hands.php.

This, along with many other very excellent articles, is part of a compilation called the Gundam Scratch Build Manual. If you're on the US West Coast, you might be able to order that and get it delivered through that link. HLJ has it listed but backordered. It's getting pretty hard to find, but is well worth it. I'm just impressed by the level of detail the author puts into all the techniques used.

8. transmorgifer

transmorgifer A.K.A. Doritos_King

its hard for me to read that language

9. Glue

Glue Member

Heh. Not much I can do about that. Although the pictures do most of the talking. Picking up some rudimentary japanese does help with a lotta the more interesting tricks and techniques he uses throughout the rest of the book, but it's not necessary to puzzle out a lot of what he's doing, especially if you already have some background in hobby modeling.

10. SonRay

SonRay Banned

Thats much easier said than done. I didnt understand any of that tutorial.

11. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I've used gundams in the past, however those kits are very expensive where I live, sometimes up toward $80.

your best bet would be ebay. search for robot hands or gundam parts or search terms like that. I picked up unicron hands for $3.00, which have almost full articulation. It's like they say, one guys junk is another's treasure.

12. anemis

anemis Well-Known Member

my advice to you is simple ... build them yourself ! you will save money and you,ll be able to cast them if you want and make more if necessary...

with patience you could build them just like i did for my mp-02 magnus trailer

http://img245.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1001823pr6.jpg

13. SonRay

SonRay Banned

That is all well and good if you are experience with kitbashing, what if he has no clue how to make hands?

14. transmorgifer

i guess he like i will just have to end up experimenting with it to get it right

15. SonRay

SonRay Banned

or he could post a wanted ad in the junkion forum, thats where i bought a set pf alt hands from.

16. thor20

thor20 Omnibot

Here's couple of kits that have articulated hands. I have the 1/60 scale HG Strike Gundam. The hands are amazing. But that scale is MP scale thank Alt/Binaltech scale. B-Club sells hand sets that are way cheaper than the kits. They call them manipulators, but that aren't posable.

17. Glue

Glue Member

Oh, it's simple, not easy. :lol 
    I've yet to do any of it in practice. But the essence of what he's doing seems pretty straightforward. The segment of each finger is made from 3 pieces of strip styrene layered. It's layered in such a way that he can drill a tiny hole through the ends of the segments, which he connects together to form individual hinges. It would be very involved and probably rather delicate.

18. transmorgifer

yes just the thing to takem my mind off of other more intricate things like life ok im gonna do that but first i have to buy some styrene