Can fandom go too far?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by gregles, Mar 30, 2012.

1. gregles

gregles quintesson

fandom's reactions can be really dedicated but also a little crazy. I read recently that a fan of the band echo and bunnymen has been sentenced for mugging a DJ to get a backstage pass to meet the band and the makers the new devil may cry game have received death threats for the new direction they were taking the franchise in. I also read ages ago that the creators of beast machines received death threats from disgruntled transformer fans.

My first thoughts when I read these articles about crazy fan reaction were these people must be a little too dedicated and unhinged to put it politely or crazy if I'm not, but then I thought wait a minute I've spent spent large amounts of my free time on sites like this, put large amounts of hard work and effort into my customs and spent an unhealthy amount of my salary for my outgoings on what are essentially toys. In the eyes of some parts of society (including plenty of people I know) my actions could be viewed as crazy.

How far is too far for you? How do you feel about these people that maybe got a little carried away? did they get carried away? where do you draw a line on what you consider acceptable on how you enjoy the franchises you love?

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    The only fan activity I consider inexcusable is the mindless defending of shitty TF media. Other than that, I give everything a free pass - mostly because I consider a lot of these 'overreactions' downright hilarious.

3. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Well, people can be socially crazy or psychologically crazy even before amounting to any fandom.

It's not that being a TF fan, or devil may cry fan, or any fan, made you unhinged if you already were over the edge.

Take for example that anime reviewer guy that murdered his family last week. Sure you can lump him with anime fans in terms of general interests, but of psychological notions the respective fandom did nothing to push him to murder anybody.

It's the sense of entitlement in this or most other fandoms that gets on my nerves. The entire notion of the first edition figures and the RID figures coming out first in the UK threw this community under a very suspicious light for me.

4. gregles

gregles quintesson

true these stories can be seen as funny from the outside with the luxury of safety and being emotionally withdrawn from what is happening.

When starting this thread I just thought of these potentially violent dramatic events which grabbed the media's attention, I didn't think of the troll and wounded fan dynamic as its really relevant to this thread as these relationships could get a little heated and in the eyes of some go too far. thanks for contributing

5. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Nothing of such magnitude has occurred in relation to the TF fandom. At least, not yet.

6. gregles

gregles quintesson

yeah I know. the only thing I've heard of was that thing I mentioned in the start of the thread where the beast machines creators received death threats. I'm honestly not sure what exactly happened as it was only mentioned in passing in a dvd review I read in a science fiction magazine of beast machines when they released them on dvd in the UK around 2007ish.

7. TheosPrime

TheosPrime Complete Amateur

Ebay:
    Fandoms can and have gone to far. Living in America, you don't hear about some stuff but over here in Asia, things can get crazy. Here in China, for example, college and universities have to shut power off to the dorms because they know students will stay up late playing video games. Then, there was a story of a couple here in China that sold not ONE but TWO children just so they could play their favorite online games all day. Thankfully, they were arrested and now in jail.

IMO, as long as fandom have people in them, something is going to happen. I'm not saying we should quit or anything. I am just saying instead of looking at the bad we should look at the good. My :2c: 

8. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I remember hearing about this.

Bob Skir, the writer of Beast Machines, received threats relating to his treatment of the characters and in particular the ending of the series, which I'll spoiler tag for those who've never seen the show:
    essentially having Optimus Primal and Megatron both die fighting each other, and Cybertron being reformatted as a lush, green, organic world complete with blue skies.

It's the part about Cybertron that I think particularly set people off. The big issue was that this was the ending of the Generation 1 continuity. That's how they ended 15 years of continuity and storytelling.

Myself, I don't mind the ending, because it was in keeping with the direction the whole series had been moving. But for some I think given all the liberties that were taken with beloved characters in the run of the series it was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Truly, a dark moment in the fandom's history. One fortunately not repeated, though I fear it is a matter of time.

9. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

I'd call a fan crazy when they'd actually do something to harm someone to get something done their way. Most other things I consider stupid such as death threats. Maybe borderline crazy but also still back at stupid. Then choosing to ignore extremely bad quality or huge disrespect is when I consider fans just plain stupid. Not borderline crazy, just stupid.

10. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nachtsider in a nutshell Ladies and Gentlemen.

11. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    I'm probably in the same nutshell. It sure is cramped in here.

12. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  13. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Yeah, and that's nowhere near our worst, either...

14. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    When your love of a franchise starts negatively affecting your life or the lives of those around you, it is time to wonder if you've gone too far.

15. decepticreep312

decepticreep312 Well-Known Member

Anyone heard of the Bjork stalker? That's a fan gone way too far.

16. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Of course fandoms can go too far. Ask John Lennon.

17. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Fandoms can absolutely go too far. I'm really only involved in the Transformers' community and I've never seen something go TOO far, however I think we've all seen inappropriate things.

First, I think a lot of things are boldly said and over-the-top aggressively said because we have the internet shield to protect us. We all know what it's like in the Movie discussion forum; it's nowhere near like that when we all meet in person at local meet ups or conventions. Every year at BotCon I always have a conversation with a new acquaintance and it's always brought up how it's ironic the fans get together so well when it's in person.

Second, there are also those fans who ask inappropriate questions at convention panels and that's really as far as I've seen it go. Was it BotCon 2009 that a fan asked Peter Cullen if he's watched Optimus Prime and Megatron engage in "adult" fan fiction? That's the kind of stuff where it's going too far.

18. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah Nutshells can be pretty small.

But I digress, yes fandom can go too far. Rule 34 is an example of that.

19. Starfire22

Starfire22 Wall crawling menace!

News Credits:
    First rule about fandoms, when you think it has gone far enough, it'll go even farther.

20. NEST SOLDIER

NEST SOLDIER IRONHIDE'S DRIVER

While I haven't seen any TF fans going to the extreme, I have seen Trek fans who could be considered mentally unstable ( seriously).

For example, I also like Trek, have the toys, books, even a couple of uniforms. However, I don't go around saying that I'm literally a Starfleet officer, or a borg, ext..

I have seen people who change their whole lifestyle to accommodate their hobby. To me, this is pushing the boundary of mental illness.

These type of folks have chosen to disassociate themselves with reality, and have in the process created their own reality in which they live. To further the point, they collectively form their own communities.

This is ridiculous. As an expert in psychology, I can assure you that the behavior that I have seen exhibited by some Trekkers was enough to drive me away from the franchise almost entirely.