Can entire waves and revision cases be canceled/skipped over?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by cvmaas, Sep 6, 2012.

1. cvmaas

cvmaas Well-Known Member

So I am seeing TF Prime deluxe wave 6 cases and figures are popping up all over, while I semi-patiently wait for my wave 4 revision and wave 5 case pre-orders to be filled.

Now I see a wave 6 revision case has been announced with only 1 Bee and 2 Vehicons for the end of this month and am wondering if the wave 4 rev and wave 5 cases will be released, or have they just been skipped over and canceled?

I did pull the trigger on a wave 6 case, as I said I am only semi-patient lol, but I was counting on the skipped over cases to restock my wave 4 sets that I sold on eBay, and I'm starting to wonder if I should hang on to my last set rather than risk missing adding Airachnid to my collection.

Thoughts? Past experiences?

2. UltimusPrime

UltimusPrime Banned

News Credits:
    I have not seen it. But it looks like Wave 6 replaced Wave 5 already.

I have yet to see a pic of Kup or Rumble without the DVD packaging.

3. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Yes, it happens notoriously with the final waves of any line. At least in Canada. There have been a many a last wave that never made its way north of the American boarder.

4. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yup. Just look at the last wave of DOTM (Deluxe Soundwave, Que/Wheeljack, Leadfoot, and Human Alliance Soundwave).

5. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

If particular store are too overstocked with product, then yes, they may not order a certain wave. Then order a later wave when shelves have cleared.

Not uncommon. Walmarts notoriously overstock on early waves which tends to get a lot of stores skipping on waves 3 and 4 of a line.

6. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Yup, this just happened with Star Wars, especially at Wal-Mart.

They overstocked on wave 1 and plenty of stores skipped wave 2 and 3, only starting to restock the line again with wave 4.

7. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hmmm... BBTS got the wave 6 deluxes in stock, but wave 5 hasn't arrived yet...

I just want Kup and Rumble to hit my POL...

8. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes, yes they can, and very easily as well. At least that's what seems to happen here.

9. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Retailers don't move stock directly from Hasbro to the stores. Instead the toy waves get sent to the retailers distribution center and from there the boxes of toys get sent to the stores. This means that some stores will end up with far too many of a wave and not reorder while other stores might get luck and have just the right amount of a wave to reorder and get the next wave instead of more of the old wave.

The only way to be sure that you get a wave you are looking for is to go to a smaller retailer like BBTS who specialize in just toys so they understand what's in a wave and why it's important to the customer instead of a place like Wal-Mart that only see it as Transformers toys in general.

10. QmTablit

You make it sound like distribution is a completely random affair. It isn't.

Distribution hubs send product to stores based on the number of units they ordered, specifically to ensure that they don't send one store too many and another not enough. They base distribution on what the store says they need. And sometimes the store just flat out doesn't sell product as expected.

Going through BBTS is hardly the only way to get what you're looking for. You can just as well go through conventional retail. BBTS is nothing more than insurance and convenience. So that whole bit is just supposition. They're a business like any other, and they speak in numbers, and not toys and people. Toys and people is what they have a Customer Service Department for.

I don't even buy Takara or Third Party online, so online retailers are hardly an absolute necessity.

11. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Yep. Ask anyone outside of America and Asia.

12. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yes. My Target restocked Prime deluxes and got cases of Wave 2 instead of the wave 4 revision.

13. UltimusPrime

UltimusPrime Banned

News Credits:
    My Target and Walmart both got in Wave 2 within the last week. Weird stuff indeed.

14. cvmaas

cvmaas Well-Known Member

My TRU got a Cyberverse Commander wave 1 case in the other day! I saw it sitting on top of the shelf sealed, so I took the box to an employee and asked him to open it for me, he pulled out disappointment after disappointment lol

Guess this does leave hope for my wave 4 rev and wave 5 orders being filled, in the meantime I jacked up the price on my last wave 4 set on the bay.

15. snoopcow

snoopcow Yara Naika?

yup happens here all the time in backwaterville

16. CybertronStreak

CybertronStreak Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In Singapore the final Hunt for The Decepticons legend waves never came out with Dust Storm and Tuner Skids

17. QmTablit

Why would you ask someone to open a case when you know you don't want anything inside?

18. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

In an ideal world, yes it works that way. In the real world it doesn't work out that way so your local Wal-Mart may or may not get figures from any given wave of figures. There is also no guarantee that because your local Wal-Mart sold out of the current wave that they will get the next wave. Or the fun of your store sold out of the wave but there isn't a restock for weeks or months.

Too many stories of too many fans who can't find what they are looking for to think the distribution centers of major retailers are working according to plan. With poor choices from the retailers on-line stores it could require driving to several different stores to sometimes find what you are looking for. Traditional retailers just aren't reliable when it comes to finding the exact toy you are looking for.

Also a place like BBTS provides a service you can't get from the mega retailers and that's pre-order. If you are really worried that you can't find a Vehicon because of heavy scalping in your area then you can pre-order a wave or figure.

19. QmTablit

My first post in the thread:

20. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Wave cancellations and revisions (usually to fill a case with more Bumblebees) happens all the time in the UK.