Customs: can anything constructive be done about plagiarized customs?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by anovasinn, Mar 7, 2009.

1. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

if you remember back in November my work was plagiarized. if you followed the thread you seen that the person never removed the video or admitted anything honestly. if it had not been for the radicons here spamming him he would have never done anything different.

here is the question: is there anything we can do to minimize this? all the spamming seemed to do is boost his youtube status. also youtube does not give a crap about any claim without a legitimate copyright hold. this is understandable how could they decide which is right or wrong or devote the money to do so.

i plan on making small decals with my logo on it as seen on my movie wheeljack. however i hate doing this because it seems egocentric. also it could just be removed if someone really wanted to plagiarize it

Attached Files:

2. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Honestly if someone really wants to buy your work and claim it as there own they can always paint over or fill whatever marks you made. All you can really do is keep a portfolio of your work(like something as simple as Flickr albums) and call people on it when you do see it and link back to your original photos.

3. Computer5

Computer5 Well-Known Member

Maybe have a website that showcases the steps you took to make the custom?

4. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I do something similar, I put "frenzyrumble" on all my customs, usually hidden or on a foot bottom or under the hood. I use waterslide decals and print 1/16" tall letters to do it. I think it's a cool way to add your "signature" to the custom.

5. anovasinn

yeah that is what i was saying they could remove it. also on calling them out i did that with my circumstance and he basically said i was mistaken and told me he made it based off of photos he had found through google. i do have most of my work on photobucket

this is a good idea and i am working on it its just i am hopelessly dumb at making one. i even have an easy way through my Internet provider

that is exactly what i was thinking the only reason it was on the fender on movie wheeljack is 1 i asked permission from the commissioner and i used a actual sponsor logo found on a vintage lancia as an outline for the design.

also FR you work is harder to plagiarize than mine because you are better known and i can spot your work a mile away because of you distinct style of photos and design of your figures. i am still trying to find my mojo in that area.

hey guys i did not start this thread for just me i opened this discussion as a jumping spot for anyone and everyone. if you sell your work for any period of time it could happen to you i only started this thread after seeing several other plagiarized works on youtube after it happened to me. i do not look for it a couple of friends tell me about it when they notice it

6. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I've actually carved my name on commissions before. Would take a lot of defacing to make THAT go away. Sure, I'm discreet, where I place it, but it's still there. You can also link to your thread here or your gallery here (if your stuff is in it). Threads are doubly handy as they have date stamps.

7. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pics? That sounds interesting.

8. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I like RL idea, engravers are pretty cheap and you can hide it easily.

I guess the bigger question would be if that person has caused damage to you monetarily. If sucks no matter what if someone claims your work as their own, but I would be more concerned about someone claiming THEIR work as MINE.

Most of us on here have pretty distinct styles and sometimes its easy to point out who did what to a custom. People like Jin, FR, and others have gotten pretty big names for themselves and it would suck if someone sold a custom, claimed to be done by them, and the buyer got something sub-par. That is where a permanent mark left on a custom would come in better. I'm not talking about someone mimicking another style, people always try new stuff and that is one of the joys of customizing.

just my two cents.

9. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I like the idea of engraving as well as keeping a portfolio as a means of authenticating your work. These are 2 very good ideas to apply whenever you're dealing with commissions and/or displaying your projects online.

These suggestions are good deterrents, but once a custom leaves your hands, there's not much that can be done. If someone is compelled enough to take your work and present it as their own, they'll do it no matter what. And the "copyright" issue holds no water for obvious reasons.

I don't know if I'll ever venture into commissions since I only do customs for myself, but I understand the risk and I accept it. You can only control so much.

10. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I see nothing wrong with putting some kind of signature on your own work. Whether it be a drawing or a custom TF.

If I sold my customs or took commissions, they yeah, there would definitely be my initials, my signature, somewhere on the piece.

It's your artwork, regardless of who buys it. Slap your name on it.

11. anovasinn

i never thought of it that way very good point. a few things i have thought of sense i posted this

make a a look for yourself and watermark your pics three good examples of this are tonyz customs ,frenzy rumble and darkcave customs. there are others as well.

personally i am going to use the decal method yeah it can be removed but it just seems more professional.

also promotion it is going to be hard for someone to claim it if enough people know better

counting mine and the two others i seen this had not been done

12. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    heh, I try to watermark all mine, I wish I knew of a program which did it automatically, it's already a pain creating 3 sets of images....1) for foums, 2) for flickr 3) for my site.

hell, one guy used an image of mine, blurred out my watermark and added his own in that spot ;l

13. Terrorcon_King

Terrorcon_King Has Gone Transmetal

News Credits:
    Seriously? WOW! that goes pretty low, which one was it?
    now its making me think i should do something like this putting a sig on my work :|

14. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah dude, once you get a set style of doing things and a site(or blog) it gets pretty hard for anyone to argue that your work is infact what they are trying to pass off as their own. I like the idea of a decal better as engraving never really looks as nice and can be puttied in anyways and your right a nice decal would be way nicer looking.

15. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I wanna get a branding iron. do they make them that small ;) 

16. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

You could probably get one made, kinda like a custom stamp.

17. anovasinn

:lol  damn that is a good idea i bet if wanted you could use typeset from a typewriter those letters could handle a little heat. you would have to use an older typewriter the ones without the ball and you would be limited to just your initials in most cases.