Fan Art: can anyone make animated GIFS

Discussion in 'Requests' started by jtuarus, Jul 25, 2007.

1. jtuarus

jtuarus Prowls circutsu master TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    i was wondering if anyone on the boards could make animated gifs for my avatar? i know what i want and should be real simple its just i have no clue how to do it.

2. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

You can really make some nice ones on your own with The Gimp. It's free, it's very easy to use, and it doesn't take up a lot of space on your computer.

Plus, you'll get completely hooked on making them! Give it a try - I recommend it.

3. decepticon665

decepticon665 the amazing bored-man!

g1 sceneshift?

i can't help you make them,but i can tell you there is a g1 sceneshift gif floating around.you know,the little flipping faction symbol.
    you can always right-click,then "save target as" from my myspace pics folder.
    i didn't make it,but if that'll do...

4. RKillian

RKillian https://rktoys.myshopify.com

I used to do alot of them, but there wasn't enough squatting and reaching to get any notice or feedback. You might also try GIF Construction Set, but that's more for if you already have your own frames drawn out. The GIMP is a sick joke when it comes to doing much of anything useful, but it does at least have that advantage over GCS.

5. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

What? You do know that the skinning for Stewart Little and Scooby Doo was done with a CinePaint modded version of GIMP, right?

Sure, there is a lack of full brush mods and adjustment layers - but other than that it's the same thing as PS or Fireworks. That's one of the reasons why it's getting closer and closer to the industry standard program.

Like any other graphics program, it's only as good as the user. And it's an excellent program for a home user or beginner, because it grows with you.

6. RKillian

RKillian https://rktoys.myshopify.com

No, actually, I thought Cinepaint was even worse because it wouldn't stop crashing every other minute on top of being as feature sparse as regular GIMP was at the time. I don't quite see why you're comparing to Fireworks, but there are others outside of Photoshop. I have my biases too, leaning towards traditional hand-drawn art where possible, so take this all in context.

The GIMP also has/had lousy tablet support...the much older Photoshop 7 wasn't much better to be honest and Painter 9 mopped the floor with the both of them. Then there were the limitations on its effects and filters. I had this picture of Cybertron I drew for some fanzine and I absolutely couldn't do some of the final lighting effects because GIMP would stop at certain pixel dimensions, leaving me the option of either shrinking the resolution or going back to Photoshop (guess what I did). It might not matter in this case, but pros have also been lamenting the lack of non-RGB colorspace support for years. And, personally, the whole a-seperate-window-for-every-single-function layout was just irritating to work around. I didn't quit overnight, I used it for a few months, it just never felt as natural or complete as Photoshop (don't misread this, I was learning both practically simultaneously).

Now this was with, if I recall, the 2.0 and 2.2 branches on Win32, so it may have improved but I really don't see any reason to leave Photoshop (or my Mac) behind, especially when it can be had for reasonable prices (ie around $100) through OEM deals. It's fine to play with if you're not making a serious investment in your art, but using it (or Photoshop for that matter) to put together animation is ludicrus. Choose a good tool (and GIMP may apply for some folks) to create your individual frames and then use a dedicated animation compiler.