Customs: Can anyone identify this head?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by ShadowStitch, Apr 1, 2009.

1. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

So I bought a custom figure third or fourth-hand, a year or two ago -- to the point that no one I talked to down the line remembered who actually made it. The custom head was somewhat poorly painted, and over time the paint started peeling off, and eventually the whole head started to unravel.

I didn't mind so much, since I have plans for the body anyways (heh-heh) but I started stripping the head to see if I could salvage anything from it, and it turns out the underlying head was more complex than I thought, and the application of crumbling Testors putty and enamel on top of borrowed rubbery zoids parts is to blame for the deterioration.

Now, out of curiosity, I'm trying to figure out who or what it used to be. I have a few clues, garnered from examining it:

• It may be a recast, as a screw hole on the back is present but filled.
    • It is Alternators sized, so it may possibly repurposed from a 1/100 model kit.
    • It doesn't match any existing Alternator figure's head, even heavily modified.
    • The halves are hollow, with a peg on either side to hold it symmetrical.
    • It was never originally intended to be used directly on a ball joint. HOWEVER...
    • There is room enough inside the head cavity for a gundam PVC balljoint socket.
    • It has a triangular divet in the forehead crest, no eyes, no mouth.
    • It has a large gap in the crest, where some sort of forehead piece might have been.

So anyways, does this look familiar to anyone here?

[​IMG]

2. Shinobitron

Shinobitron Cybertronian Ninja

Ebay:
    This is a KO Optimus Prime head purchased from the Dollar Tree. The figures where discontinued and recalled due to small parts issues.

3. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

You know, I think you're right.

I have the KO prime in question, and it's off in storage somewhere, else I'd do a direct 1:1 comparison. (I bought him to steal the weapons, like most other folks) But I compared it to the weapons (which I do have handy), and it seems to be the same silver plastic.

Upon closer examination, the opening on the forehead that I presumed was for an attachment? Is actually the hollow left over from when the excess forehead crest got sheared off. The sides of the head are uneven, so whoever cut the antennae didn't do a very neat job of it. I'm guessing the filled in screw-hole on the back is from the factory, where they skimped out on the assembly and filled in the hole in the mold, and used cheap glue instead of screws.

So yes. Whoever it was who originally made this just did a hack job on the dollar store prime head. Nice to finally know! Thanks, and good eye!

4. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Yeah, looks almost exactly like my oversized KO RM Convoy. Just somewhat misshapen missing parts.