Can anyone help me on this Evangelion figure?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by IronhideTF, Sep 21, 2007.

1. IronhideTF

IronhideTF Give Stare Over There.-->

I really need help on this figure from Kaiyodo.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Evangelion-EVA-...ryZ11424QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just in case the link doesn't work, here is the item number. 150162729844

First of all,

How many points of articulation are on this?

Where else can i find this figure?

What is the real name of this figure?

What Kaiyodo evangelion series is this from?

How big is it?

any help is appreciated ty!

2. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Wow that thing looks awesome. We've had the berserk version of that in our import stores since forever but it doesnt have all the neat accessories (gives you sachiel to stand on though :D ).

3. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    That's the old Kaiyodo Mono-shaft series Eva-01. It has ... hmm... well, I'll have to go from memory on this, but roughly 19 points of articulation. Ankle, knee, hip, waist, shoulder in/out, shoulder up/down, mid arm, elbow, wrist, neck, head. They're alllll cut joints though (a cut joint is a joint which has only two dimensions of flex, unlike a ball or universal joint which has outward motion as well as side-to-side).

The figure is designed to look dynamic in no matter the pose. You will not, however, be able to pose it simply standing straight up, for example. It's both very poseable... and very un-posable, if that makes sense.

As for where else you can get it... at this point, ebay is probably the ONLY place you'll get the old Kaiyodo mono-shaft figs. They're old, rare-ish, and revoltech has replaced their place on most shelves.

Looks-wise, it's a gorgeous fig, though. It's completely painted with a glossy airbrushed finish, and bigger than a revoltech figure (though not as large as a SoC Evangelion). As far as value for your money though... skip it. Vintage toy markup puts it in the same price range, almost, as the SoC Evangelions, which are vastly superior, while the Revoltech evas can match its posability even if they don't have its looks.

EDIT: Oh, and it's fragile as HELL. One of my spare eva heads at home is missing his head-spike, and he's had issues with his forearm pieces splitting in half and forcing the pieces to be re-glued. The Kaiyodo mono-shaft figures were notorious for being extremely fragile. The Virtual On figures, especially, were some of the biggest offenders with many figures being broken right out of the package.

4. IronhideTF

SO whats better Revoltech Eva 01, SOC Eva 01 or This Eva 01?

If none these, what is the best Eva 01?

ty for the help.

5. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

I don't own it, but I know the elbow joints are fixed. Why? I don't know. I think it has a more "beasty" look than most others. I think it's just called Evangelion Unit 01 Test Type EX. Here: http://www.hlj.com/product/KYD51082 it says it has 19 joints and 6 sets of hands

6. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Lacking any fig other than this particular old Kaiyodo, I'd still probably guess that the Revoltech or one of the SoC evas would be your best bet.

If you want an Eva 01 with lots of posability that you can have fun with and not pay too much for, go for one of the Revoltech versions.

If you want an Eva 01 to be more of an impressive display piece or an expensive weekend fiddle toy, get one of the SoCs.

I'd say avoid this particular figure unless you can find him for close to his original retail. It's not worth the markup when there are so many excellent alternatives that offer fewer headaches and greater rewards.

7. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

SOC by far, but RV is very poseable. This is pretty much crap IMO compared to the Revoltech. There are 3 kinds of the SOC: GX, SPEC, and a special SPEC that shows it berserk as in episode 19

8. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Its elbows are not fixed.

9. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

10. IronhideTF

arrrr I can't choose... SOC SPEC Eva or revoltech Eva!!!!!!! How much does the SOC SPEC Eva 01 go for?

11. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Around $80 or so. SOC is for display, Revoltech is for play!

12. IronhideTF

$80?!?!?!?!??!?!?!? :cry  what about the other SOC ones? Do You have any? if so, How are they compared to Revoltech?

13. IronhideTF

14. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

I don't own one, but I really want to. Not sure if the SOC's are as poseable as Revoltech. GX is cheaper, but doesn't have as many accessories as the SPEC and can't remove it's armor. The 400% Synch Ratio SPEC has damage and is an exclusive. The one in the link is the Rebuild version of Eva 01. Looks similar to the original SPEC, but not many pics are out yet. The Rebuild has some more green

15. Death333

Death333 aliases: Dx3, Dr. Whiffington, Hellscr333m

News Credits:
    Agreed on all counts. ESPECIALLY THE FRGAILITY ISSUE. Mine broke at the hip and one of the head cones.

I would highly recommend not getting this and opting for the Revoltech instead.

16. nectarsis

nectarsis I have ZAZZZZZZZZZ

I actually have this exact figure oon my sell/trade list :) 

17. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    It is. Except the HLJ page about its elbows being fixed is wrong, as proven quite plainly by the fact that the figure is bending his elbows in all the pictures :p . Trust me, I own four of the old Kaiyodo eva figs ;) 

SoC figures are collectors figures. Revoltech figures are collectors toys ;) . If you just want a cool eva fig to pose and play around with, I'd recommend the Revoltech fig, especially if the thought of a high price tag makes you choke. You'll be lucky to find any of the SoC Eva-01's for under $60 after shipping, and even then you'd be getting a lucky price.

18. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    I have this. got it at an eb games 6 years ago for $20. it looks awesome on display. I do feel like a small piece broke, but nothing major.

19. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Wow. Now there's something I haven't pulled out of my closet in almost five years. Have the whole set locked away somewhere... not sure if they're complete anymore or what, but I think I only had them on display for a short while before deciding that they were too fragile and fell over too much. Might have to pull them out just for the heck of it... nah, my Revoltech figures are FAR superior. :D 

20. IronhideTF

Revoltech it is then! anyone got a review on him or loads of pics?