Can anyone explain the crossover interest with My Little Pony?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by blaynescott, Dec 29, 2011.

1. blaynescott

blaynescott Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hey everyone,

For the past while, I've been noticing more 'bronies' / My Little Pony interest among male Transformer / Action figure fans here at TFW.

I mean this in the more polite way possible: "What's up with that?"

As a grown man who likes toy robots, there's no judgments here - just in my experience ponies are typically a feminine interest - given that boys are socialized to play with trucks / girls with dolls.

I'm curious where the attraction to these sorts of Hasbro products comes from. :) 

2. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well, once you party with ponies...

3. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  4. thecollector

thecollector Fluffernutter Admirer

Last time one of these threads happened it went down hill...
    Anyway before it does, I like MLP:FiM because, well, it's different. Maybe it's the combination of a cute look to the show and some of the jokes thrown in there geared towards older audience. Pinkie Pie - And now the punch has been spiked - YouTube
    Or maybe it's just a fun change of pace from what usually is required for me to fit my "gender role", such as sports, being tough, etc. I can't come up with one specific reason why I like the show, and as for the toys, well I haven't caved in yet, but I usually end up wanting to buy something from stuff I like. Every brony has different reasons, these are just mine, but I hope they helped. :) 

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  5. blaynescott

Ebay:
    Search FTW indeed. I'd noticed most threads are just clogged with people warning about future flame wars, or references to the terms origin (at 4chan). That stuff I can glean from a search.

I'll clarify my question:

What childhood memory (assuming it's childhood memories that drives our adult hobby-interests) or set of circumstances caused peoples fascination with a toy-line that's not marketed to boys/men?

I grew up in a family where my father was showing me "2001: Space Odyssey", and reading Haldeman's "The Forever War" and Asimov's books to me at a young age - probably not too strange that I developed an affinity for transforming robots. That time in my life was wonderful, and every time I mess about with toys (either customizing, or just posing/fiddling with them) I recapture a little bit of that feeling.

Just curious where TFW2005 members specifically got hooked on My Little Pony. - it's an answer that's not quite clear, even using the mighty google. ;) 

6. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Well for me, I always knew what it was because of how old the toyline is (commercials have been on tv, I've seen em in stores, etc). However, I didn't think much of it until I started seeing people having pony avatars & shit. Then, somebody started a topic about it on my Yugioh forum where I was like wtf is this pony shit about, at which point I looked like a nub for not being up with the times.

It was from there that I watched the 1st episode (someone linked it from the OP), realized how adorable it was, and of course how much it reminded me of Neopets (this was a big selling point for me). From that point on, I just sort of ran with it. I didn't get into the show or toyline myself, but I understand why so many people have come to appreciate it, and I still enjoy the artworks & songs that come with it.

7. thecollector

thecollector Fluffernutter Admirer

What memory from my childhood sparked it? Well none. I hated MLP growing up, now I'm sitting here as a teen in love with the show. Like most people, I saw avatars and signatures with ponies in them which sparked a curiosity about the show, then came the memes, youtube edits, etc that drove me to give the show a shot.

8. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Yeah, I totally blame social media for this hhaah

9. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    Pretty much the same kind of thing happened with me. I saw people with MLP avatars and signatures on TFW and had heard it was a really good show. So, I downloaded the entire first season and watched the first two episodes. I instantly loved it and the rest, as they say, is history.

10. blaynescott

Ebay:
    Interesting. So it's more of an interest in the modern MLP show, not the G1-era MLP? That explains the interest a bit more. I just assumed (wrongly?) that most peoples Pony fascination was a modern facet of an older collector/fan base - simialr to the G1/Classics Transformers fans out there.

Since I'm not a fan of cutesy television/toys - no matter how clever the writing is - I'll give it a pass. It's cool others can find something to appreciate in it.

11. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh for the love of

Just have a sticky so we can lock these things

12. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Well see, a lot of us are guys, so chances are that we didn't get hit with the same nostalgia for MLP that we did for Transformers. Mind you, the newer TF stuff sparked our interest in that franchise too, so maybe it's really a combination of both.

13. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Thanks to this board I actually started watching My Little Pony. Me, I started because I was asked how feasible it was to make an articulated transforming MLP. That sadly didn't work out (I really wanted to make Rarity succeed, but...well, as the character models show, they really don't translate well to plastic form when you factor in articulation), but I did have to watch some episodes to get the proportions correct when I was working on it.

And after you watch an episode you never Understand why you didn't start earlier. Thankfully I think the toys are crap (seriously, it's a blob of plastic with hair that one is supposed to...comb? Eat? Set on fire?), and the entire idea of putting that style of art in plastic form is just outright insane. So, I don't need to worry about the monetary cost.

Surprisingly the people here who said the cartoon is good weren't kidding. Finally, a kid's cartoon that doesn't always end with everyone happy and perfect. At least something will screw up every episode and not get fixed, might not be something major but at least it's something. That, and you have got to love watching the backlash that Rainbow Dash gets. Personally, I'm more interested in somehow making those ponies work as transforming figures, and I'm still watching for a way to make that happen, but the show's not too bad.

And since I don't have any of the toys nor a real interest in the show (I watched it solely to get the proportions and articulation right), I wouldn't say I'm a fan of MLP (I'm not saying that because I'm a teenage boy, I just wouldn't say I'm a fan of it, though I appreciate it for its merits). But the show doesn't look that bad. And if it ever should, Rarity will fix it, don't you worry. :lol 

Edit: befor anyone asks, no, the transforming figure concept never worked out. I highly doubt it will ever come to fruition. :( 

14. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    What about starting with that Battle Unicron or whatever?

15. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Battle Unicorn, you mean.

It would work, but I was asked to make something smaller, plus, the issue isn't with the transformation as such, it's that MLP thrives on its smooth cutesy style. As soon as there are seams running all though the pony body it loses it's magic-ness.

Still, it's not entirely off my project list. Just 99% so. In the meantime, I'm content to sit back, relax and watch Rainbow Dash crash into a cliff at high speed.

16. Transquito

Transquito Reach For The Light

Like many others I started noticing the pony signatures and avatars on various forums. I grew curious..
    Back in June I decided to watch an episode to see what all the fuss was about. And here I am. It was that easy.

Im having a hard time picking out negative aspects of this show, there's always something good that makes up for it.

Great writting, wonderful characters, cute animations.. and hey, its cartoon ponies.

Obviously there's quite a bit of "taboo" about boys/men watching a cartoon aimed at girls, there's no denying of that.
    But when you think about it, isnt that how many of our female transfans is portrayed?

I am comfortable enough with my own masculinity to watch singing and cuddling cartoon ponies.. :D 

The haters is just a bonus.. love the attention and all the fanmail ;) 

17. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    ... hahah, that made me think of the 1st Spyro game for the ps1.

Also, what if the pony was wearing armour or a cloak of some kind? Like, if the head, colours & proportions were accurate, it might still work out good, especially if everything lined up well & used curved parts to break apart the pieces, rather than straight lines.

18. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

If you figure it out, let me know

19. Starscream600

Starscream600 Certified Virtual Pilot

I figured it'd be best to quote this from the other thread:
    [​IMG]
    Jump in anytime you want Dran0n. I know you wanna.

20. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    Avatars and Sigs AND the Hub's "summer" promo with pinkie, megatron, and dan got me to say "aw what the hell, i'll give it a shot". I was almost completely about to shut it off at the theme song, but then.... I realized that this generation of MLP was 99% different than the others( which i STILL dare not try), mostly because the ponies in this gen relate more to human problems/ actions than the previous ones. Plus i found out it adorable and when im down, watching a random ep cheers me up :)  I don't buy the toys, but the show is enough for me.