CAn any one tell me what this childhood transforming toy is?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Xonic, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Xonic

Xonic Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Ok, so, a challenge for everyone: As a lot of you know by now, I am totally blind. I can't see pictures, graphics etc. I had a toy as a child that I'd really like to identify and maybe buy again but all i have is a description. I've looked all over the place and just have no idea what it could be.
    Here goes: he is a robot, some kind of very long spaceship with little wings at the back and he also becomes a huge gun. THe wings actually fold down to become the guns handles and the trigger comes out the back and bottom of the ship. When you pull the trigger, having flipped the nose of the ship up, it fires 2 missiles. THe missiles fire with such force that they mannaged to knock G1 galvys fusion cannon off his arm.
    Robot mode is made by pulling the hole front of the ship forward which splits into 2 massive legs.The cockpit becomes the feet in a simlar position to g1 astrotrain and the wings each contain a tiny tiny spindly skinny arm a bit like rotf leaders gimpy arm. The head just pulls out from the back of the ship on a ratchet hinge.
    So, any ideas what this mad thing could be? I reckon it might be a gobot or something pre transformers as it's not very complex. damn scary thing though. If it's not clear by now, he's roughly leader class size from what I recall and he has metal on and in him.

2. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Interner Soldier

News Credits:
    The space ship and gun alt mode make me think Sixshot. Could be wrong though.

3. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Sounds like sixshot to me. I not 100% sure though. I never owned one.

4. Flyby33

Flyby33 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Sixshot didnt have missles that shot out

5. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    From what you are describing it sounds like Sixshot. You may well be misremembering a few details, it happens quite often when people try and remember their childhood toys.

6. Xonic

Xonic Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Na not 6shot, this was my first thought as well, but he definitely only had the 3 modes not 6. No one has ever mannaged to work out what it was, wish I still had him now he's probably incredibly rare or something :)  the head was very square if that helps and he had tiny little.. almost triangular ear type things on the top at the very edges.

7. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

No, it can't be sixshot if the cockpit becomes the feet, not to mention the fact Sixshot does not launch missiles. Also, his head is not on a ratchet joint.

It might not be a Transformer, since nothing from any Transformers line I know of matches the description of having a handle formed formed from wings. However, there is the Autobot counterpart; Quickswitch, who has a gun with a handle from the wings, and the front part of the gun is made from his two detachable lasers.

8. Xonic

Xonic Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    NOt Quickswitch, I had him, much much much smaller. Wow this is very odd. I thought someone would get it but clearly it's just too odd.

9. cyclonus8

cyclonus8 Well-Known Member

Maybe it would help if you told us when you first got this toy.

10. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There's only a small number of TFs that turn into guns, and the only ones that are also space ships are Sixshot and Quickswitch, but neither of them had firing missiles. If this is a G1 contemporary figure, I'd wager it's not a Transformer at all.

11. harveydent

harveydent Unknown Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Sounds like the Spaceship/Gun from the Sentai series Shaider.

12. hoosierdaddy04

hoosierdaddy04 The Lord of Diecast

Harvey I beleive you're right on with that.

Here is a copy and paste from a website that had the best description I found. Hope this helps. I'll also include a link to the site which has a lot of pictures so maybe can describe it a bit better to you.GC-20 Space Sheriff Shaider Vavilos DX by Popy | Robot Japan

This is the large transport vehicle from the show Space Sheriff Shaider. The spaceship transforms into a giant robot and also a missile-firing gun. This toy was also released in the US under the Godaikin line in both this DX and an ST version. The original form is a giant spaceship. My toy unfortunately has some yellowing. The arms of the robot fold into the wings, as can be seen from the underside of the vehicle. This toy is quite large, as can bee seen from this comparison with the Popy Rydoto from the Raideen series. This is the robot form of the toy. A head fold out of the rear of the vehicle, arms come out of the wings, which rotate up and sideways. The nose cone becomes the feet, and the legs separate. A missile launcher is present in the chest of the robot. This is the robot form of the toy. From vehicle form, the wings fold down and a trigger is rotated out. The nose cone flips up to reveal twin barrels of a gun. The barrels can also be extended.

13. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

Yeah, that description matches DX Vavilos perfectly!

The Vavilos toy had huge blocky boots, quite long and square in typical Bandai style, with some beveled edges on the boots, and the cockpit feet you mentioned. The torso was also very square, with beveled edges, and a large, raised triangular shape across the upper chest. Head was low, wide, and flat, with an eyestrip on the face, and two small antennae poking up. Arms were absurdly skinny, as you mention, with very wide shoulderpad 'wings' sticking straight out, above them.

Counter-X has a good retro-review of the DX Vavilos toy, with some good description and background information. The review can be found at this link:

Counter-X > Godaikin >> Vavilos DX

14. Xonic

Xonic Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Guys, this is almost certainly it, thank you all so much! I wonder how much these things go for now, how rare they are etc :)  all of you are amazing!!

15. Xonic

Xonic Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    @Autobus, i'm afraid that link doesn't work.