Can a toy be judged as a stand alone???

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Neo Tallgeese, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Neo Tallgeese

Neo Tallgeese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It was bound to happen. As time progresses and technology increases, we see better and better Transformers hit the shelves. Then one day...CUTBACKS! Take the example of FOC Optimus Prime. Compare him to his older brother (WFC Optimus Prime) and he looks quite week and rushed. If you were however to compare him to a figure like G2 Laser Prime, he would certainly look smaller yes, but the intricate design would certainly stand out as a positive thing. I remember being so impressed when I first got G2 Bruticus. To me it was amazing. Now when I see the preorder for G2 colored FOC Bruticus, I'm only mildly impressed. Twenty years ago if it came out with the G2 stuff I'd have bought it withought a second thought. So my question is this "Can a toy be judged by its own merits or will it always be compared to something else, and often something else that's considered better?" Food for thought.

Attached Files:

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Of course. You have to give some figures a free pass, especially if they're the products of older and limited engineering.

With the case of WFC Optimus vs. FOC Optimus, I prefer the former over the latter as my Cybertronian Optimus. However, the FOC mold has proven its worth through its versatility. It's a terrific base mold for other characters as the more recent thread postings in Radicons have shown.

3. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Both will and always will happen. Human nature.

4. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

Comparisons will always happen.

5. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

one off/obscure characters maybe, but signature figures like optimus prime/megatron/starscream etc can never be judged without comparing to previous incarnations. hasbro wanted to exploit your nostalgia by invoking the familiar names, thus it's only fair if you judge the toys against the long line of previous toys bearing the same names especially they're meant to be the same characters in the transformers multiverse.

6. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

Stand alone figures goes in the "meh got it on sale area" area of my display.

I'd buy it but I need more than 25% off to get it. However, he is after all Optimus Prime. He would make a great addition to any display.

7. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

What about Bot Snots?

8. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm putting my figures in a collection. I want it to look relatively good compared to the other stuff. Not being good as an individual toy is just as bad as not being good in a collection in my book. If I buy FOC Optimus and he looks like crap compared to my WFC Generations figures because of his size or other reasons I'm not gonna like the toy.

9. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    even compared to laser prime, it loses.

10. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    I have the WFC OP and i have felt its over engineered and complicated for its size class. Looks great though.